I am not sleeping and worried it will affect my weight loss.

Options
I am up every night sleepless. I usually have to catch a nap for 2 to 3 hours during the day. Then night comes and I do not sleep. It has been extra bad this past week where I am getting the 2 to 3 hours of sleep each day and that is it. My dad told me that if I don't sleep I will not lose weight. Is this true? And also I could use tips on falling asleep if anyone has any. I have trouble with restless leg syndrome and also ruminating thoughts. Like I'm so tired now I have that sick feeling, but as soon as I try and lay down my body tenses, and I start getting that electric crawling all over my body.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I went through what you're describing for 6ish months last year, exact same symptoms. Except i couldn't sleep during the day.
    I ended up taking natural sleeping tablets from my health food store and reading lots of books. Whenever I woke up during the night I would turn on my bed side lamp and read. I never got up and moved around, as this made me MORE awake. And I definitely didn't turn on the computer!
    Eventually I started waking up less and less and was able to fall back asleep relatively quickly.

I too was worried about weight loss/lack of sleep. But i lost weight just fine during that time. I may have lost more had i been sleeping properly. Who knows....

I know my fix is pretty simple, hopefully it'll work for you.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    ... you can safely tell your dad that he is talking crap!
    With regards to the non sleeping - if it is a couple of hours here and there you going to have to deal with it an possibly look into a bit of aid (Bach flowers night remedy or ZMA are my go to) if it is longer / all nighters make that time useful.... when it heats me i either cook or else i go and train / run / do something tiring....
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Have you tried listening to nature sounds? I have this app called relax melodies which I listen to to fall asleep and if I wake in the night and it really helps to quieten my mind so I can drop off more easily.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, no matter what your sleep pattern. Lack of sleep can, however, cause difficulty with that. You might be less active during the day, so you'll burn fewer calories. You might be more likely to eat when you don't need to. But if you can keep those under control, you'll still lose weight.
  • AlanaLouise71
    AlanaLouise71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have restless leg syndrome and I was given an "old wives tale" remedy which works. Put a bar of soap under your fitted sheet at the foot of your bed where your feet are. For some reason it works, not sure how or why. I used Ivory soap, Dove soap does not work, too much moisturizer. I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous but it works, try it for a week.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Have you tried melatonin? Helped me settle a bit with the ruminating thoughts.
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have tried meletonin and actually use it every night, but it only works like a second blanket kindof if I'm already very ready to go to sleep. I will probably try the soap thing just in case but yes it sounds ridiculous. The book idea is something I really need to do. I need a low light lamp so I don't bug my bf. We keep putting off buying me a bedside table and lamp and I can show him your post perhaps to let him know the urgency. Heh. Yeah I will look into the natural remedies for sleep because I've tried pharms and they're just very trippy. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep should not affect your weight loss, but I have noticed that I retain water more if I don't get enough sleep. I haven't had issues with chronic insomnia though, just occasional bouts of 3-4 days.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd say to take a magnesium supplement and to stop sleeping during the day. Turn off any laptops/phones etc 40 mins before bed. Only read after that.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes, the bar of soap works here too, against leg cramps. I still don't get it, but it works! We all have a bar of sunlight soap underneath our matress in our house.
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have read that lack of sleep can stimulate your appetite, therefore possibly making you eat more but just in general it wouldn't make you gain weight unless you were eating more than you normally do. Have you tried taking a stronger does of melatonin? I have struggled with insomnia since I was a little kid, and it really does help to make sure to turn off tv/computers/cell phones etc at least an hour before you want to go to bed. I like to take a calming bath with epson salt/lavendar oil (dr teal makes a great bubble bath) and then take melatonin 60-30 min before I want to be in bed. Once you are in bed read or listen to music. It helps to also have a bedtime routine. You may also need to talk to your doctor about a stronger sleep aid. I used to have to take actual prescription sleeping pills. Also skip the naps during the day to see if you'll be able to fall asleep closer to bedtime.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have RLS and magnesium helps a LOT so give that a try. they gave me requip to try but I never took any of it, too many side effects. some types of yoga a few hours before bed can help, if you can try not to take any naps and if you do limit the amount of time you sleep.also chamomile tea before bed can relax you as well. I know when I dont take the magnesium the RLS is a lot worse.as for losing weight thats not true. I get up several times a night to go to the bathroom and I have still lost weight.
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have issues with restless legs and bouts of insomnia, too. I've noticed the nights I sleep best are when I've had a good amount of pretty vigorous exercise during the day (though not too late in the evening) -- and then follow that up with some yoga later on. Specifically, you could try Yoga With Adriene's bedtime yoga sequence (find the Yoga With Adriene channel on YouTube, and if you don't see that particular video straight away, you can find it in her "yoga for healing" playlist). Don't worry if you don't have a mat or have never done yoga in your life; you can do it on a blanket or towel and it's a very gentle, simple sequence. I practice yoga regularly, and I think it's really helped me on the restless legs front -- I very rarely have really bad nights with it anymore.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've battled insomnia since I was 8 years old, and even with medication - it still gives me troubles. A while back, I literally went for 2 1/2 years on 3-4 hours of "sleep" a night, and I lost and lost and lost, and couldn't gain weight until I got the insomnia solved. Sleep is very important to your health, and if the situation has gone on for more than 3 months, you should probably see a doctor. Caveat: I take two anti-anxiety drugs now, in part due to the insomnia.

I second the Bach Flowers Rescue Sleep capsules. They work like a champ when I am having issues. Also - yes to all of the above. The daytime naps are not helping - they could be messing with your circadian rhythm. Search on sleep hygiene, and apply everything that you possibly can... that's the first thing any doctor is going to tell you. For well over a decade, my room has been an electronics-free zone (and I'm an ubergeek). Commit to a bedtime every night, even on weekends. Scheduling is really important.

As for the restless legs? Move more during the day... take a walk after dinner. Do something to wear yourself out. I still do get severe cramps in the night and there's nothing on this Godgiven earth that I've been able to find to solve that.