New girl with Yo-Yo Dieting Blues

Options
Hello so...I'm new to MFP & I feel like I'm at my wits end with yo-yo dieting! I need to stay motivated & I've lost it. I could really use some community support "outside" of people I know. I think I've worn them all out. I have serious weight to lose & depression is taking over my life!! Anyone else like this? Anyone else feel like mentoring or supporting? Sharing? I'm an open book....

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Most of us did the yo-yo diets too. I did for 15 years and battled the same self esteem and depression issues. The great thing about MFP is you don't have to deprive yourself the way all those fad diets did to us.

Just focus on protein and veggies, with just enough carbs/fat for energy within your calorie budget and make some friends around here.

Also work on loving yourself and self esteem NOW. You are not fat, you HAVE fat, you are YOU, a beautiful person. The thing is if you don't work on that part now it doesn't change when you lose the weight. The body changes but not the inside, UNLESS you work on that now.

Best of luck! You can do it. <3<3
  • 80mj80
    80mj80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend the podcast Fat 2 Fit Radio!!! It's all about living the lifestyle of the thinner, healthier person you want to become. I am with you! SO over all of these fad diets, telling you to workout like crazy and starve yourself on 1200 calories per day.

Check out their website and tools :) I just started this journey 2 months ago and during those 2 months my body was working to get my metabolism going again. I started eating MORE to give my body what it actually needs (about 1800-2000 calories per day). SCARY at first, but have faith! Yes, I gained a few pounds, but now that I've stabilized, I'm starting to see the number go down slowly again and I feel amazing.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/

I would love to hear what you think!
  • hattie419
    hattie419 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems and stress takes over my eating habits as it's a form of comfort - you need to find comfort/ relief from the depression in other ways then food, because food gives you temporary relief and afterwards makes you feel so much worse with the added guilt of the eating. It helps me when I'm literally just about to look for/have comfort food, I pause and make myself put on gym clothes, this will make you feel ready to workout and you'll end up focussing on working out rather than the food you were going to eat! Exercise also boosts your mood and raises energy levels, and you'll raise your self-esteem knowing you rejected the food and are one step closer to your goal. (It's all about small steps everyday)
  • edukator99
    edukator99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the frustration thing. I generally last 5-6 weeks on a diet. Building a support community is one of my strategies this time. We will do it!
  • loseweightmel683
    loseweightmel683 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thank you guys! 80mj80 I appreciate the podcast info! That's a real cool program!
    11411 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to learn
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand what's it's like to have a lot of weight to lose. I started at about 265 - I'm about 190 now and very happy with that, but looking to get down to about 145 and increase fitness. For me it's not just about weight loss, but general life improvement: when I eat better I feel better about myself. More energy, more confidence, a better social life and all-around a more fulfilling life. The encouragement I've gotten from my MFP friends has been a huge part of why I've been able to succeed so far. If you're ready to invest in yourself, you CAN you this. Learn from your past mistakes - learn more about yourself and how to avoid what happened before. Mental/emotional battles are the hardest part of weight loss, but if you get to know yourself better you can change those old ways of thinking.
  • loseweightmel683
    loseweightmel683 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks you guys I don't think I've ever spent this much time in MFP ever... I never paid attention to to community option & now I realize this may be the help I need