Premium question

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
I am really opposed to the idea of paying for premium but I am becoming more and more curious about it. I noticed under exercise calories there is a locked premium option. For those of you who have premium- is it just to turn exercise cals on/off or can you select something like "50% exercise cals"? Honestly, if it is that latter, I may consider getting it since that would make things much simplier for me.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know you can double click on calories when you enter exercise and overwrite them with half the amount yes?

Don't know about premium sorry ...just wanted to check you knew that
  • rayqd2
    rayqd2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nope, you can only toggle it on or off. No percentages or anything like that.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You know you can double click on calories when you enter exercise and overwrite them with half the amount yes?

This is the way I go about it.
  • elphie754
    Options

I do, but I get my exercise calories from my Fitbit. I'm not sure if there is a way to do that with the Fitbit. I know I can override a specific time frame, which I do if I was involved in an activity that counts too many steps taken (like CPR) but I'm not sure if I can change the total.
    rayqd2 wrote: »
    Nope, you can only toggle it on or off. No percentages or anything like that.

Thank you. Not worth it then lol.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I trust my fitbits calories it has proved quite accurate for me but I don't think you can change those if you're auto synched

I log my exercise when I measure it by my HRM ...and for gym workouts
  • elphie754
    Options
    I trust my fitbits calories it has proved quite accurate for me but I don't think you can change those if you're auto synched

The only reason I don't want to trust it 100% is there are times where I end up doing a lot of moving with my hands and wrists at work and I have seen it count a few steps for it. Right now I leave 100-150 of my exercise cals as a buffer zone. I have MFP set to sedentary so that my daily activity isn't counted twice.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

The only reason I don't want to trust it 100% is there are times where I end up doing a lot of moving with my hands and wrists at work and I have seen it count a few steps for it. Right now I leave 100-150 of my exercise cals as a buffer zone. I have MFP set to sedentary so that my daily activity isn't counted twice.

Oh I get you...I downgraded to a zip and wear it in my bra / pocket so don't really have that issue...you can also set it to dominant hand I think

Could you enter a -150 in exercise or make a fitbit adjustment "food" that's 150 calories just for ease?
  • elphie754
    Options

Oh I get you...I downgraded to a zip and wear it in my bra / pocket so don't really have that issue...you can also set it to dominant hand I think

Could you enter a -150 in exercise or make a fitbit adjustment "food" that's 150 calories just for ease?

I have it set as dominant hand, and not as sensitive. I had a zip but it got tossed in the washer one too many times lol. With the flex, I never forget it.

Hmmm good idea, I will try that and see how it works.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRide to calculate my calories burned, but I gave it a weight of 100 instead of my actual weight. The numbers it gives me are about 50% of what it would otherwise give me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't want to trust it 100% is there are times where I end up doing a lot of moving with my hands and wrists at work and I have seen it count a few steps for it.

The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. I eat back 100% of my adjustments, lost the weight, and have maintained for almost a year.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, then eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • aComputerHero
    aComputerHero Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This feature would be worth 50 bucks/year for me. I trust my Fitbit, but I also like the WW approach to exercise (you get to eat about half of what you burn.)

For the last few weeks I'm been manually doing it. I set my goal to 2 lbs/week and then allow myself to eat back half of the Fitbit calorie adjustment. So far it has been working well. I end up with about 2200 calories on days I work my *kitten* off, and about 1500 on days that I don't.

One other concern is how MFP scales the Fitbit daily burn to 24 hours. If I run in the morning, I get a huge boost that dwindles over the day. If I run in the evening, I get a realistic total-day estimate. I think MFP should use a weighted average for the remaining hours of the day based on Fitbit's estimate, the MFP estimate, and historic hourly burn.
  • elphie754
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    The only reason I don't want to trust it 100% is there are times where I end up doing a lot of moving with my hands and wrists at work and I have seen it count a few steps for it.

The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. I eat back 100% of my adjustments, lost the weight, and have maintained for almost a year.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, then eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I know for sure that it over estimates my steps when I am at work. I've been using the 100-150 "buffer" and have been losing what I expect to lose each week.