juicing anyone?

Options
I just started here and there. I like it a lot. My favorite is apple, carrot, kale, spinach, cucumber.

Anyone else?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Not many juicers here. I think it just leaves most people hungry, and it's kind of wasteful in my opinion. Plus you get more fiber and nutrients from just eating the fruits and veggies.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have done it in the past, it's a way of getting micronutrients at low calorie intake.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree there's a lot of waste to it and I feel bad about that.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I agree there's a lot of waste to it and I feel bad about that.

there are recipes that use the pulp. I think I measured the waste at about 1/3 but it'll depend on the machine and the stuff your juicing.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like lemon, apple, and ginger with some sort of green but I don't really juice that often. But combining those with almond milk in a smoothie? I love that.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of it and you have too many fruits and veggies that you know what to do with, then go for it. Also, if you rarely eat actual fruits and veggies it could be an option to juice.

I don't juice because of mainly what @galgenstrick said, however I do like to make my own prickly pear juice for margaritas.

It's nothing more than water, juices prickly pears, fresh squeezed lime juice, and agave syrup to correct the taste. The result is a tropical watermelon-raspberry-tomato combo flavor.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I like to drink veggie juice because I like the taste not because of any other reason eg. detoxing (cos it's obviously bunk!). Drinking veggie juice also has the added bonus of getting extra nutrients for few calories. Yes I could eat the veggies but I don't always feel like it.

I make my juices up as I go but usually I use loads of spinach, celery, cucumber, carrot and ginger. I also add a little bit of apple to sweeten.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I prefer smoothies. You keep more of the nutrients.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my juices and smoothies,,,,,,,a great way to get in plenty of fruit and veg, I do have a few faves but I too tired to type them out tonight......Add some celery, lime or lemon, and ginger to your combo and it will be even better,
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I don't mind vegetable and fruit juices, but I would rather have the fiber and bulk that comes with vegetables and fruits so I feel more full and regular. There's nothing in juicing those veggies that gets you better nutrition.

I like smoothies but won't do them anymore unless I make them myself. I honestly think it's criminal for the smoothie chains here in the US to tout themselves as health food when most of what they sell is higher calories than many desserts. I used to have a coworker who would kill herself on a stairclimber 3x a week, then go straight to the smoothie shop and get something that was easily 550 calories (but it had protein!). She'd also complain bitterly about not losing weight and she ultimately went for lapband surgery.
  • userfriendly2
    userfriendly2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't agree with juice diets at all. I. Think your sugar intake will go through the roof as its hard to vary your juice diet without using a lot of fruit throughout the week and although fitness pal resets everyday - your body doesnt you can have recommended weekly allowances and monthly allowances.. I think you are better off exercising portion control and nutrient timing with varied meats vegetables fish nuts potatoes and my favourite - porridge :) and yes I do eat fruit as well and the occasional bar of dark chocolate ;-) sugar has a place in our diet but i think you can easily triple the recommended amount of which I believe it is 60 -90g per day On a juice only diet.

Love to hear other peoples thoughts on this?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't agree with juice diets at all. I. Think your sugar intake will go through the roof as its hard to vary your juice diet without using a lot of fruit throughout the week and although fitness pal resets everyday - your body doesnt you can have recommended weekly allowances and monthly allowances.. I think you are better off exercising portion control and nutrient timing with varied meats vegetables fish nuts potatoes and my favourite - porridge :) and yes I do eat fruit as well and the occasional bar of dark chocolate ;-) sugar has a place in our diet but i think you can easily triple the recommended amount of which I believe it is 60 -90g per day On a juice only diet.

Love to hear other peoples thoughts on this?

It depends on your individual goals and if you need to restrict sugar for health reasons. If you're trying to lose or cut, the sugar in a juice/smoothie can take up a big chunk of your calories. Maintenance can be easier to fit it in. If you're training for endurance sports, the sugar might be just what you need.