Weight watchers???

Options
2»

Replies

• poolplayershannon
    poolplayershannon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried WW, lost weight okay, but I was always hungry too. Plus, I've got a blood disorder that makes me tend toward anemia. The extremely limited protein diet sent my PCV into a tailspin. Had to quit, per doctors orders.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is an extremely limited protein diet?
  • poolplayershannon
    poolplayershannon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay, badly phrased. It's just that the proteins eat up so much of the points, I, at least, wasn't getting enough.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is purely anecdotal, so please take it with a grain of salt, but I have found the people who have the best results on WW are the ones who need to lose 50+ pounds, so around 3.5 stone? If you have a coupon to sit in on a meeting, by all means go and see how you like it. Then you can make an informed decision whether or not WW is worth the price. I believe if you do meetings AND use the online tools it costs more, but if you're attending meetings at a location that also has a WW store then you can purchase one of their Points calculators. Me, personally? I did lost while doing WW, but as others have said I was always starving. I would also plateau around the 20lbs lost mark, even after tweaking my points.

If you do anything, avoid their Simply Filling Technique. It gives you a whole list of food options that are "free" (aka, "Power Foods") and you only eat from that list and you never weigh, measure, or track your food intake. You just "pay attention to your hunger cues". Now, for someone like me with a past filled with various eating disorders, hunger cues are not a good thing to rely on, so I found myself eating unlimited portions of "free" foods and then eating the other foods and using up all of my daily points on sweets and whatnot. That's not WW fault, but it does seem a bit dicey to just give people a list of food and say, "eat your fill of these and never keep tabs on it".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers in the 90s and found it helpful to bring mindfulness to my eating. We had a great location - at work - and great leaders. I liked the support and the accountability of a weekly weigh in. However, I felt a lot of their nutritional advice was bad.

Would I do it now? No. Might it help you? /shrugs/
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I found their exchange information (former program) very useful. Lost about 40 pounds, maintained a while, got tired of spending so much time figuring out food, gained it all back.

What I've seen of the points system convinced me that it's easier to figure out basic nutrition info on my own, so I'm trying this place.
  • aComputerHero
    aComputerHero Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had some short-term success with WW a few years back. The old points system was easy. It really boiled down to calorie counting with a bonus for eating low fat and high fiber foods. Eat low fat / high fiber = eat more.

Points Plus was the end of it for me. The points became more of a mystery, alcohol was way too penalized, and my local meetings really started piling on the cookie sales. Towards the end, the last 15 minutes of almost every meeting we were given a sample of the latest WW treat (and the opportunity to buy some.)

Luckily, my employer paid for the meetings.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    If you do anything, avoid their Simply Filling Technique. It gives you a whole list of food options that are "free" (aka, "Power Foods") and you only eat from that list and you never weigh, measure, or track your food intake. You just "pay attention to your hunger cues". Now, for someone like me with a past filled with various eating disorders, hunger cues are not a good thing to rely on, so I found myself eating unlimited portions of "free" foods and then eating the other foods and using up all of my daily points on sweets and whatnot. That's not WW fault, but it does seem a bit dicey to just give people a list of food and say, "eat your fill of these and never keep tabs on it".

Agree 100%. I never even attempted SFT, because, even though, like fruits and veggies, the foods on the list are not "free" and are to be eaten to satisfaction, I knew that I could waaaaay overeat on some of the power foods. I have a hard time with hunger signals and have no off switch. While I personally find it hard to overindulge in fruits and veggies, I could easily overindulge in fat free popcorn, light English muffins and brown rice, all of which are power foods.

Some people don't struggle with hunger/fullness cues and they swear by SFT. But I'm not one of them.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Everyone I've met in the real world that has done weight watchers lost a little weight and then immediately gained it all back.

Yup me too. I used WW a few times and each time I lost between 20-40 lbs but couldn't stick to it longer than 4 or 5 months. I eventually gained the weight back each time (and more).

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ive lost 4 stone so far and I'm really struggling with the last two stone thinking of joining weight watchers anyone had any good or bad experiences??? Thanks

You've lost weight doing what you've been doing, so why fix something if it ain't broke?