Sugar allowances

Options
I always have trouble staying within my sugar allowance. So far today(thru lunch), I am nearing my goal limit and 66% of my sugar allowance is from eating fresh fruit and 20% from milk. Is this a problem for my diet? I have heard it is really important to watch your sugar intake more than other areas.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as long as youre not diabetic, or hav eanother related health issue, your sugar doesnt really matter. youre eating things with a good nutritional content, so i wouldnt worry about it. not like youre eating 10 boxes of airheads ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rickmin wrote: »
    I always have trouble staying within my sugar allowance. So far today(thru lunch), I am nearing my goal limit and 66% of my sugar allowance is from eating fresh fruit and 20% from milk. Is this a problem for my diet? I have heard it is really important to watch your sugar intake more than other areas.

Do you have a medical issue where you are supposed to limit sugar? If not, then sugar limit is at your own discretion.

Losing weight requires a calorie deficit, but how you get there is completely individual.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    As long as you have no medical condition, you do not have to track sugar. Many people swap out tracking sugar for tracking fiber.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    what is a sugar allowance?

is that what cheap parents give instead of money?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugar from fresh fruit and milk. Eating over your sugar allowance because your munching mangoes and getting in some calcium and protein from milk shouldn't effect your dieting success on it's own.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rickmin wrote: »

Not really (assuming no special health reason). If you aren't counting calories, cutting added sugar (not sugar in dairy and fruit) can be a good way to avoid eating excess calories, depending on how you tend to eat (the standard American diet tends to be too high in added sugar and calories from sugary items). That's why the WHO and others recommend limiting added sugar.

It's also a good thing to think about because you don't want your diet to be unbalanced and consistent too much of low nutrient treats rather than adequate protein and fiber and fruits and veggies.

If most of your sugar is from dairy and fruits, that's nothing to worry about, and if you have a low calorie limit, the MFP limit (15% of calories) can be crazy low and hit easily with fruit and veggies and dairy.

IMO, so long as you aren't over your carbs and are getting enough fiber and protein, don't worry about it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugar from fresh fruit and milk. Eating over your sugar allowance because your munching mangoes and getting in some calcium and protein from milk shouldn't effect your dieting success on it's own.

Well....it can just as much as anything else if you eat over your total daily energy expenditure because then you gain weight. Weight loss is not about what you eat, it's about how much you eat.
  • Miss2Honest
    Miss2Honest Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical condition that limits how much sugar u should eat you are fine...also if the sugars are natural occuring like in fruits and doesnt have any added sugars than you are fine as well... just dont go over your recommended calorie intake