Early morning running questions...

Options
momxs2
momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
I'll start by saying I enjoy running, although I'm not super fast at it, i just like to squeeze in a couple runs during the week or on the weekends in addition to my gym routine (which is spinning/light weights and occasional body pump class). I treat it as a nice little bonus for myself.

I understand I should just do what works for me but I'm curious what works for early morning runners:

1. What do you eat before running and how long before running do you eat?
2. How long after you wake up are you running?
3. What do you eat after running and how long after running do you eat?
4. Coffee drinkers, do you have a cup before a run or after?

These are my answers:

1. I drink water, don't like to eat before early morning run.
2. Usually within a half hour, otherwise I have hard time getting out there
3. Mix bowl of fruit with either: homemade oatmeal with nuts/raisins or Ezeikel toast w peanut butter
4. Coffee comes immediately after I hydrate with a good size bottle of water.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    1. Training run, nothing. Race day: about 3 hours before I'll have coffee and an English muffin or bagel. Depends on race starting time. Like 8am starts, nothing unless it's long. 10-11am, starts I eat regardless of distance so I'm not hangry at the finish

2. Training run, 20min. Race day, depends on start time

3. Training run, I break fast at noon. Race day, around noon as well.

4.training run, no. Race day, depends on start time
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I dont race I just do endurance runs because I like them. I'm still building up to not eating before a long run!

1. Half a banana
    2. Usually about 45 min after I wake up, no more than a hour after I awake
    3. I usually make a fruit smoothie with protein powder and if I'm still feeling hungry I'll make a whole wheat English muffin w/ egg whites
    4. I used to drink coffee before I run but then I always had to pee and would not feel comfortable going for a long run. I usually drink half a glass of water right before I head out.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    1 I run on empty
    2 roll out of bed, splash my face, brush teeth and go at 4:30
    3 1/2 cup oatmeal, almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, banana, chia seeds, walnuts.
    4 half a pot of coffee after the run
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just did an 8 mile early morning run. I don't eat anything when I run early (I go out at 6:30ish). I will however, have an energy shot (I like the Isagenix e-shots). Depending on whether or not my kids are all over me, I will either do eggs with kale or spinach and a couple of slices of turkey bacon, OR a protein shake if I'm low on time.
  • JamesScapes
    JamesScapes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 3:00 AM, down some supplements for energy, (green tea, green coffee, arginine and B Vitamins, and caffiene in the form of a suger free energy drink mix packet), take care of a few early morning chores and I'm off and running by no later than 4:00 AM on an otherwise empty stomach. 10k later, after a shower, I have 1 cup of cheerios, 1 cup milk, a scoop of protein powder and 1/2 grapefruit and at work by 6:30
  • SprintingYogini
    SprintingYogini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1. Sometimes I eat toast, bagel and or banana if it's a run over 10 miles. I also often have coffee beforehand.
    2. It depends on how much time I have before work. Sometimes I go take a 6am yoga class and eat breakfast. Sometimes I sleep in running clothes and roll out of bed running. Today it will likely be hours before I run, because I'm considering a night run.
    3. I try to have a glass of chocolate milk right after I run, maybe a smoothie, banana, lots of water with lemon.
    4. If I have coffee, I drink it before my run.
  • SprintingYogini
    SprintingYogini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 3:00 AM, down some supplements for energy, (green tea, green coffee, arginine and B Vitamins, and caffiene in the form of a suger free energy drink mix packet), take care of a few early morning chores and I'm off and running by no later than 4:00 AM on an otherwise empty stomach. 10k later, after a shower, I have 1 cup of cheerios, 1 cup milk, a scoop of protein powder and 1/2 grapefruit and at work by 6:30

You are totally badass! Dang!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt about 30 mins prior. I find it's the best for me. I think this post is showing that we each have different things we do and you have to find what works best for you. Good luck!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I have coffee and water before, usually nothing else for any run up to two hours in length. If I have anything, it might be a small handful of nuts. Time? Whenever.
  • momma2ZKL
    momma2ZKL Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45am and I'm out the door by 4:50-4:55. I drink a little water before I run. When I get home, after I shower, I have a Bare Naked granola bar and a cup of 2% milk. I don't drink coffee, but as a kindergarten teacher there are days where I wish I did! I run 4 miles right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Not a runner, but I cycle.

1 - it depends on the ride. a typical ride is about an hour long and I do about 15-16 miles...I don't worrying about eating before or during a ride like that. a long ride or race day would be different

2 - when i ride in the am i pretty much get up, put my cycling clothes on and hit it...so maybe 10-15 minutes.

3 - if i ride in the AM I come home and get ready for work and I usually brown bag my lunch to work...so i might ride at 5 AM and I eat around 8 - 8:30 or so. i only worry about recovery food after a long ride or race.

4 - if i ride in the AM i have my coffee after.

• momxs2
    Options
    Interesting to see what works for everyone!! Thx for the feedback!!
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything before I run other than coffee. I get nauseous and gassy if I do.

Anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours

Just a normal breakfast with at least 20g of protein. Lots of water. Sometimes I mix in powdered elecrolytes with my
    water.

Before
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    1. I have a cup of coffee as soon as I'm up and moving. I'm usually running 10 to 20 minutes after.
    2. Currently I'm up at six, running no later than 6:30.
    3. Some manner of protein bar.
    4. More coffee after. It fills my belly with happy and makes me less stabby.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    1 I run on empty
    2 roll out of bed, splash my face, brush teeth and go at 4:30
    3 1/2 cup oatmeal, almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, banana, chia seeds, walnuts.
    4 half a pot of coffee after the run

Straight up. If you (and I) weren't married, I'd marry you. Bet you have great runs :)

• momxs2
    Options
    Girlwcurls2: yes u might b right!