help with muscle gain !

Options
If iam trying to lose fat and gain muscle what should i put as my goal on myfitnesspal? To gain weight or lose weight???

Replies

• pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'd put lose weight unless you want to bulk up because weight gain usually involves creating body mass.
  • pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't think you want to lift heavy and eat. Right?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You can't really do both. Focus on weight loss first then once you have more nutrition knowledge that's when you should start a slow bulk to build muscle.
  • dballen07
    dballen07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on one at a time. If you have a lot of fat, I'd say cut first to lose some fat then bulk but if you are average size you could bulk. You cannot grow muscle at a deficit. You can get some small gains if you're new to lifting but usually if you're losing, its hard to keep muscle, let alone grow it. You need to lift heavy regardless to keep the muscle you have.
  • BboyKuda
    BboyKuda Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi,

There is a science to what you looking to do and It's based of a bodybuilder calculations. I'm not a trainer but I've been trained and have a decent experience with this. This works regardless if you are trying to be a bodybuilder or not as this pertains to losing fat, gaining muscle. This information and exact calculation comes from bodybuilder.com so it's just not me proving random info. The PDFs book is actually free if your truly interested on achieving this goal ( Macrobolic Nutrition from bodybuilder.com). Below is the example from the book based off of what you're looking to do. All you would need to do is replace your weight with the one in the example. But highly recommend reading the book so you completely understand what you are doing.

Example from book:

Macrobolic Calorie Equation in Action
    Let’s say an athlete weights 180 pounds, has a moderate lifestyle, and trains four days a week. His training sessions are sixty minutes of intense weightlifting. His goal is to gain muscle while losing his existing body fat.To properly determine his calorie requirements, he will use Macrobolic Nutrition’s caloric equation.

Training Days
    (BW [180] x MGV [lose]) + BW [180] x lifestyle [moderate]) + (60 min x 10) = calories

Example of athlete mentioned above: (180x7) + (180x5) + (60x10)
    1,260 + 900 + 600 = 2,760

Nontraining Days
    (BW [180] x MGV [lose]) + BW [180] x lifestyle [moderate]) = calories

Example of athlete mentioned above: (180x7) + (180x5)
    1,260 + 900 + = 2160

So, as you can see, this athlete should consume 2,760 calories on his work-
    out days and 2,160 calories on his nonworkout days.
  • chadr74
    chadr74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    esmimtz95 wrote: »
    If iam trying to lose fat and gain muscle what should i put as my goal on myfitnesspal? To gain weight or lose weight???

I think you should try weight training with higher reps and short rest periods between sets. Stay away from sugars and eat plenty of clean protein. Only reason I even commented is because I have seen a lot of women cut weight fast by diet and cardio alone but not get the physique their after because of not doing weight training. When you don't eat enough to fuel your body it breaks down muscle for energy and especially for women it is hard to get back! But again about the weights just guessing about high reps and rest period just saying I think you should do something for muscle!