Wut?! Opera Singers Are Underwear Models?!

Options
qnotes
qnotes Posts: 20 Member
Being an overweight opera singer (how cliche) has become a thing of the past. I'm afraid Pop-culture and itty-bitty A-Frames have infiltrated the classical singer standard of "type" and "look." This has not always been the case, and one of the reasons I decided to go classical instead of musical Theater. As it turns out, many performing artists in the classical world are also underwear models. (This is a little exaggeration, but not really. Look here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattortile/opera-hunks-who-need-to-serenade-you-right-now...no pressure, right?)

I've been an overweight singer ALL of my life. I have never been thin, and I have always had a line-backer's build. In fact, the coach of my high school football team was immensely interested in me for my size, and the fact that I could sprint as quickly as some of our track stars--I'm light on my feet. Alas, I was drawn to the arts--performing arts--and specifically singing.

3-4 years ago, however, I spent almost a year with a fantastic guy who trained me 3-4 times a week, and together we managed to get 150 lbs off of me in 8 months. Not only did I have tremendous weight loss in a short amount of time, I have also managed to keep (the majority--10 lbs variance) off for 3 years without being particularly discerning about what I ate.

I'm back to it. In the last 4 days I have lost 6 lbs, which is great, but I know from experience that this is, of course, mostly water weight. Still! It's exciting and motivating. My biggest obstacle will be using this calorie counting medium--to which I am not new--which has its flaws (as they all do), but most specifically being on top of it and "journaling" on a daily basis, if not per meal. And honestly, I am the type of person who forgets what they ate during the day by the evening.

So, that's a little about me. I could ramble a long time about so many things. Drop me a message some time!

Glad to make your acquaintance, and good luck to everyone!

Replies

• dtherio
    dtherio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi qnotes, great post. If you have a chance, you might want to edit the URL to the buzzfeed article. It is grabbing the ellipsis and "no" are getting appended and breaking the link.