Multivitamin-what do you ladies take?

Options
latina0514
latina0514 Posts: 27 Member
I'm in my mid 40's...I never have taken vitamins, so many options. Open to all suggestions. Thank you.

Replies

• latina0514
    latina0514 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do I really need them?
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do and I definitely notice a difference vs. when I don't take them. I like Rainbow Light women's once daily, Optimum Nutritions women's multi, and GNC women's multi.

I don't necessarily think you "need" vitamins but unless you have a perfect diet they are a great tool to get the things your body needs.
  • brandlefly
    brandlefly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take the CVS Women's Prenatal + DHA Vitamins & Minerals. Yes, you can take them and not be pregnant. No, they will not hurt you. They have everything a women needs at the correct levels except for some brands do not have enough Folic acid for an actual pregnancy. This one has more than most.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I take the women's Kind vitamin from Garden of Life. They make one that is for women 40 and over as well. I like them a lot. Do you need a vitamin? Not necessarily, but most of us don't get enough nutrients from our food.
  • surrealchereal
    surrealchereal Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need them if you're eating your veggies and some fruit daily. I don't take them and all my tests come back in the normal range. It's much better to get your vitamins from your food and the ground it's grown in than from a lab. It just can't be the same for your body.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you do need something, like Vitamin B12 or D3 and you take those multivitamins with their low doses of either, they will falsify blood tests while not doing anything for your deficiency. In case of vitamin B12, one should not take ANY for at least 2 months before a blood test gives realistic results again.
  • datdinogirl
    datdinogirl Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Check out Nature's Bounty "Hair, Skin & Nails". It doesn't cover EVERY vitamin and mineral but I was fairly surprised at how much great stuff it has in it. Just check out the label online. What's also slightly better than vitamins is "whole food supplements," please check those out. Also, our typical food does not give us all the vitamins, minerals, etc. that we need though it may seem ok. I def recommend taking vitamins on top of your healthy diet. That's my rap!
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    How do you eat? If you get lots of fruit/veg/meat then probably not. If you live on bread, potatoes and pasta then quite possibly.

I take a B-complex purely because a med I take depletes me of B12, and B's are best taken together. I also take a D3 because I live in Northern England and the sun doesn't seem to visit England much, especially in winter when we get maybe 7-8 hrs of "sunlight" max.
  • Sm1rkY
    Sm1rkY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't take all of them together because my stomach is sensitive AND I'm forgetful! - but two every other day after food, and I rotate them:

Calcium, omega, vitamin B complex, glucosamine sulphate, multi-bit with iron.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a known deficiency, vitamin tablets do not help in the slightest except to flush your money away.

http://skepdic.com/vitacon.html