21 Day FIX- Shakeology alternatives

Options
raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
Wife has been contemplating taking the shakeology or buying more but i think it isnt necessary unless you are using it as a meal replacement. I read articles that optimum nutrition would be a great alternative as long as you take a multivitamin.

any ideas for her?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    1) Shakeology is a waste of money and completely unnecessary for weight loss.
    2) Do you mean optimum nutrition protein powder? I'd get something that is an actual meal replacement if you want to replace a meal. But really, I'd just eat regular food and supplement with a protein powder only if you are low in protein.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I both use Optimum Nutrition and we love it. We've been using it now for about 2 years. There are so many flavors and I love the taste. I usually mix the chocolate flavor with peanut butter, almond milk and a banana and drink that for lunch since I'm usually pretty busy at work during the day.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As much as I love the product, who can really afford (my husband and I used to use 1 serving a day so that's easily near $300 a month) it?! I found this "superfood" packet at Whole Foods, and put it in our green smooothies when we drink them. Satisfies my need for it, and it costs about $70 a month for both of us ($35 a tub for 30 servings). Sometimes, you can get the little single serve packets on sale for $1/ea. and it's only $60 a month if you can get the whole 30 individual packets there.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i might just tell her to eat food but she is always on the run as a teacher so something quick like a shake will work..

any other ideas?
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    2) Do you mean optimum nutrition protein powder? I'd get something that is an actual meal replacement if you want to replace a meal. But really, I'd just eat regular food and supplement with a protein powder only if you are low in protein.

Shakeology is a waste in statement 1 and in statement 2 you recommend getting an actual meal replacement without any recommendation of what to get.

OP you're wife needs to do what works best for her. Whole foods are always the best answer but not always possible for everyone. When buying supplements only you can decide what works and what monetary value you are willing to spend on it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Shakeology is a waste in statement 1 and in statement 2 you recommend getting an actual meal replacement without any recommendation of what to get.

OP you're wife needs to do what works best for her. Whole foods are always the best answer but not always possible for everyone. When buying supplements only you can decide what works and what monetary value you are willing to spend on it.

That's because I wouldn't do a meal replacement at all, or did you miss that part of my statement?
  • stevesample76
    Options

That's because I wouldn't do a meal replacement at all, or did you miss that part of my statement?

"I'd get something that is an actual meal replacement if you want to replace a meal."
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

"I'd get something that is an actual meal replacement if you want to replace a meal."

Right, if he's dead set on getting a meal replacement shake. But as the rest of my post said, I wouldn't do it.
  • ames1586
    ames1586 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use GNC lean 25.
  • kkskidmore
    kkskidmore Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used to drink Shakeology. The convenience was a huge factor for me. And while I liked the flavours they got to be quite expensive. And if you mix it only with water it's only about 140 calories ..... definitely not enough for a "meal" replacement.

There are other options out there. Isagenix makes a great healthy shake and I've heard great things about Optimum Nutrition.

The big thing is to do LOTS of research. You don't want a shake full of garbage. But of course, real whole foods are always best.

• jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You could use fruit, veggies, liquid of choice and chia seeds or flax in a smoothie. It will increase the protein and fiber, and it's all real foods.
  • shelbseroo
    shelbseroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    no one has suggested it yet, so I'll throw in that I make shakes with Vega protein powder, and it's really delicious! They have a few different kinds, one is a "all in one" nutritional shake, which is quite good - they also have a "snack" one with a bit less protein that is also good for a quick fix as you can just mix it with water in a shaker cup and go.

I have tried the vanilla, the vanilla chai, and the berry, and all are good!
  • stevesample76
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Does the fact that you're a Beachbody coach influence your opinion of the product and meal replacements?

It actually doesn't. I use it because I believe in what it does. The same as the Dymatize ISO 100 I use, the Quest protein bars I eat and the Musclepharm pre-workout I use.

I believe all of these are supplements to my nutrition which I work to make as healthy as I can. I have never required anyone to purchase as one other person stated nor do I ever push it. I use it. Period. If someone else chooses to then thats fine. If not, thats fine too. I will defend the product though because I do truly believe it is a well designed supplement that is more than just a whey protein powder.