Need some advice

Options
I'm trying to build muscle mass while staying lean and maintaining my abs. I just started taking Combat Protein Powder today. I workout 6 days a week. Any advice?

Replies

• KandieCarmella
    KandieCarmella Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone this... make sure your eating plenty of complex carbs and little simple carbs. Ive seen that one change make a huge difference
  • emezrahi
    emezrahi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to buldass you need to eat. I don't know how youre going to maintain a six pack though. Fairly new to all of this, but, from my understanding, you can't have your cake and eat it too... I think you need to bulk, then cut.
  • JPayne99
    JPayne99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat SUPER clean and tons of lean protien. I try to at least get 180g of protien a day. I eat absolutely no junk food. All healthy food and lean meats
  • JPayne99
    Options
    I stay lean by going on runs maybe 4-5 times a week. After every workout I do a short-high intensity ab workout
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Adding mass is about macros and calories. You need a calorie surplus in order for your body to have something to build muscle with. Being in a calorie surplus will lead to fat gain.

Eating clean is bro science and frankly outdated. It has nothing to do with keeping you lean, that is all about calories. You'll need to watch your protein, fat, fiber, and vitamin intake for health. (This is called iifym or if it fits your macros). Look up macronutrients and micronutrients to find out why each is important. All your running is doing is (other than being good for cardio) is increasing your calorie burn/calorie deficit. Look up cico.

Find your maintenance calories (the number of calories a day it takes for you to stay the exact same weight). Add 250-500 calories a day in order to be in a surplus so that your body has the extra calories to build muscle. This is called bulking. After you bulk, you decrease your calories by 250-500 to cut any fat you've added while retaining your newly added muscle. This is called cutting. Look up Bulk/cut cycle.

Googling the terms I've suggested will bring up a lot of basic information that will help you be successful. Avoid bro science!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    Adding mass is about macros and calories. You need a calorie surplus in order for your body to have something to build muscle with. Being in a calorie surplus will lead to fat gain.

Eating clean is bro science and frankly outdated. It has nothing to do with keeping you lean, that is all about calories. You'll need to watch your protein, fat, fiber, and vitamin intake for health. (This is called iifym or if it fits your macros). Look up macronutrients and micronutrients to find out why each is important. All your running is doing is (other than being good for cardio) is increasing your calorie burn/calorie deficit. Look up cico.

Find your maintenance calories (the number of calories a day it takes for you to stay the exact same weight). Add 250-500 calories a day in order to be in a surplus so that your body has the extra calories to build muscle. This is called bulking. After you bulk, you decrease your calories by 250-500 to cut any fat you've added while retaining your newly added muscle. This is called cutting. Look up Bulk/cut cycle.

Googling the terms I've suggested will bring up a lot of basic information that will help you be successful. Avoid bro science!

this.

OP - you are going to gain fat when you bulk, just embrace that fact and deal with it. Or if you don't want to then eat at maintenance and don't do the bulk.

also, the amount of cardio you are doing means that you are going to have to eat MORE calories if you want to add muscle mass.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone this... make sure your eating plenty of complex carbs and little simple carbs. Ive seen that one change make a huge difference

this sounds like nonsense...
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JPayne99 wrote: »
    I eat SUPER clean and tons of lean protien. I try to at least get 180g of protien a day. I eat absolutely no junk food. All healthy food and lean meats

*kitten* that sounds exhausting. nothing wrong with "junk" food if it fits into your calorie goals (and macros), unless you're like cutting for a competition or some *kitten*. have some fun brah, you're only 20.
  • dro189
    dro189 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to build muscle mass while staying lean and maintaining my abs. I just started taking Combat Protein Powder today. I workout 6 days a week. Any advice?

• JPayne99
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

*kitten* that sounds exhausting. nothing wrong with "junk" food if it fits into your calorie goals (and macros), unless you're like cutting for a competition or some *kitten*. have some fun brah, you're only 20.

I'm actually only 16