shin splints,

Options
Help I've just taken up jogging I'm 60 lbs over weight just lost 91/2 , last night my left shin started to hurt! I've had shin splints before 20 years ago first time I've run since, I started runing 12 days ago last night was my 6th outing any advice please?

Replies

• itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I get them, too. And I used to be on cross country!

I never found a suitable treatment so now I just rock out on the stationary bike or elliptical. Low impact is better for joints anyway. I don't know if that is any help. :/

Good work getting back at it!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I wish I could tell you how exactly I got rid of mine but I really don't know. 6 months ago I used to get them. I dropped weight and I think the squat like action in rowing may have helped. How far are you running? I tried not to do more than 3 days a week when I restarted and gradually increased my distance. Now I average 15-20 miles a week from zero 5 months ago.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    One more thought. I did a lot of elliptical work and focused on taking shorter strides versus the longer ones I used to take in sprinting.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you following a specific program? You may want to scale back the frequency until your body adapts. Try something like C25K. You may just be trying to do too much too soon.

What kind of shoes are you wearing? That's one of the most common causes of shin splints. Go to a dedicated running store (like Fleet Feet or a similar locally owned store) NOT one of those mall chains or a general sporting goods store, and have them fit you. They will analyze your gait, measure your feet, assess any issues and have you try on and run in TONS of shoes. It may cost more than going to an outlet or something, but it is so worth the investment. The right shoes can make or break your running career.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    STRETCH!!!! Shin splints are generally a cramp in the anterior tibialis muscle and stretching helps tremendously. The best one is to sit with your legs out straight, point your toes, and have someone else help you push them down to the point that you feel the stretch but not to the point of pain. If you don't have someone who can help you with that stretch, stand on a stair or step and put the toes/top of the foot down the side of the stair. Push your leg forward (like trying to push over the top of the stair) to hold the foot in a toes pointed position.
  • succotashswashbuckler
    Options
    I got shin splits when doing the following: wearing bad shoes and increasing my mileage way too quickly.
  • nanatig
    nanatig Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies I'm doing c25k only jog/walk 3.5k not far but far enough for an overweight asthmatic 55yr old. I've got good shoes with cushion and bridge cost a bomb but as you have said worth it (my investment in me!) I think I'm going back into the garage to use the cross trainer for a bit, I just find it so boring much better out in the fresh air!