WTF chewers

Options
Do you ever get tired of listening to people chew crap while watching TV together? I'm talking for extended periods; peanuts. Like WTF? I'm going to get up and leave pretty soon.

Replies

• thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    YES! Sometimes I hate hearing myself chew too. Thats why I like smoothies :P
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I get tired of listening to people chew potato chips all around me in the office. That crunching sound. and the rustling of the bag as they reach in for more.

And, at the movie theatre... people chowing down on popcorn and slurping those massive drinks...
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Chewing sounds are like nails on the chalk board to me... Shudder
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it. Especially those that eat like cows chewing cud with their gobs wide open.
    Even worse is when people suck and lick their fingers after eating chips or whatever, instead of using a serviette.
    My hubby gets a whack when he does it, he's learnt to use is pants or shirt to wipe his hands on now lol :open_mouth:
  • joelinecollins
    joelinecollins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My mom is so discusting when she eats she is always chommping in my ear and it makes me want to gag
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has misophonia.

Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a rarely diagnosed neuropsychiatric disorder in which negative emotions (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds.[1] The sounds can be loud or soft.[2] The term was coined by American neuroscientists Pawel Jastreboff and Margaret Jastreboff[3] and is sometimes referred to as selective sound sensitivity syndrome.[4]

It sucks for me because, while I'm not a loud eater by any means, even the occasional slurp of soup can do him in. We went to an udon place in Honolulu once and, oh god, I thought he was going to lose his poor mind. The Japanese tourists around us were slurping up a storm! It's considered VERY good etiquette in Japan. It basically tells the chef/establishment that the food is so amazing you can't help but loudly slurp. I forgot to warn him about that. ;p

But, he's a stealth eater. Peanuts are his snack of choice and he somehow does it silently.

I'm like, "Babe, you can eat them normally."

And he's all, "No. I absolutely cannot."

hahah :D

I feel for you guys. Just know that some of us are trying very hard - and succeeding! - at not being noisy eaters on your behalf!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have misophonia.

I have: intolerance of people who eat like pigs syndrome :confounded:
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    others chewing food I can handle, people that snap and pop their gum! omg! makes me want to throat punch somebody!
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't have misophonia.

I have: intolerance of people who eat like pigs syndrome :confounded:

Yup! 99.99% of people don't have it. They just don't want to be reminded of food sloshing around with saliva in someone's face. ;p

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who blow their nose at the table. If you do that at home, you're disgusting. If you do it out at a restaurant with other diners around, you deserve to be kicked out and banned for all eternity! GROSS!

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I hate teeth across a fork ~ come on now, can't you hear yourself!
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    OMG I thought I was the only one. ..I hate eating out because of having to listen to people. ..
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Chewing sounds are like nails on the chalk board to me... Shudder

Yup!! My absolute biggest pet peeve! *cringe*
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I can't stand hearing people chew. OMG! It's the most disgusting sound. Please shut your mouth while chewing especially on gum, potato chips, popcorn, etc. ewe! I have a niece that chews ice cream. WTH, just let it melt and swallow it.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i suffer from misophonia as well, its miserable and nearly debilitating i have to isolate myself which is a terrible way to live. i feel pity for those who love me. its tough.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    My husband hates loud chewing! Apparently my son and I sip drinks loudly and it drives him nuts! Since he pointed it out, I try to sip more quietly.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I never knew this was actually a pet-peeve for some. I mean, I get that obnoxious chewing can be annoying, but I didn't think people had issues with regular chewing noises. That must be difficult.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Chewing is an issue for me. It's when people do that "sucking" sound through their teeth after a meal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JamesScapes
    JamesScapes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stop watching TV and that particular problem is solved...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The worst is when it happens at the movie theater...
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing impaired, but my hearing aids pick up eating sounds more than anything, it seems! My boyfriend could clack his teeth on a spoon two rooms away, and I'll get unnecessarily irritable for the next ten minutes (hyperbole, but whatevs). I asked him once if it hurts when he does that, but he said he doesn't even notice. I restrained myself from saying, "Well, maybe you should, because it's effing annoying!" I meditate instead.