Time to reduce my expected loss?

Options
Hi everyone,

I need some advice :smile:

My stats:

5' 8.5
161lbs (use to weigh 243lbs, lost with weight watchers & the last 21lbs with MFP)
Net calories 1430 per day
Workout 3-4 times a week

I've successfully been tracking since December 214 and have had a steady loss of 1lb per week ( I have lost 21lbs which I am over the moon with!). Just recently I've been finding things tough, I'm mindless snacking and not counting, when I don't work out I'm finding it tough to stay within my allowance even though i'm eating fruit veg and healthy means, this is why I have stayed the same for a few weeks.

I still want to lose but should I reduce my expected loss to 0.5 per week to make things a bit easier?

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with reducing your loss or even re-evaluating your goals ( which are ?? )

going to have to tighten up on the mindless snacking and not logging though if you have goals you want to achieve ?
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congratulations on a seriously impressive accomplishment!

Sounds reasonable to me. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    An alternative if you are feeling worn down by the constant dieting is a diet break - eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks and then resume your weight loss.
    You might find it mentally and physically refreshing.

A deliberate and controlled decision is much more positive than "mindless snacking and not logging".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss

I'm 5'8 and at my target at 160lbs...maybe time as Si says to stop, log at maintenance for a few weeks and give yourself time to re-evaluate your goals

If you then wish to lose more you can cut slowly again
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    is there a maintance plan on mfp?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »

Yes

Keep logging but eat maintenance calories
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »

Change goals to maintain weight (under goals) instead of loose x pounds a week.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, a weight of 164 is a BMI of 25 for 5'8'. You are under that now so you are at a "normal" weight. Why not take a break and maintain for a while--a vacation could work wonders. Continue your exercises. After a time, you could aim for a loss of 0.5 lb a week to lose a little more if you want.

You have done an admirable job so far and should be very proud of yourself.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm 5'8 and at my target at 160lbs...maybe time as Si says to stop, log at maintenance for a few weeks and give yourself time to re-evaluate your goals

This was going to be my suggestion. I think any time that food is getting the best of you (mindless snacking), it's probably best to back off dieting, do a refeed, and give yourself some breathing room to reassess your goals and refresh your mindset.

• helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies, I'm doing ok this week so far. I think I will take a break for a couple of weeks and then start fresh :)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have been having a bit of a wobbly week. So far I haven't given in and have stayed strong but I could quite happily go to the supermarket and buy everything. So maybe I'm hitting a similar sort of point now I'm almost at goal. Interesting to see others go through it too.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    First thing you should do is tighten up your current logging! Make sure you aren't mindless snacking and see what calories you are actually eating. Maybe a couple of weeks at maintenance is a good idea but you MUST still log accurately at that level too! Then re-assess and set you goal to 0.5 lbs a week and see what calories this gives you...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

This was going to be my suggestion. I think any time that food is getting the best of you (mindless snacking), it's probably best to back off dieting, do a refeed, and give yourself some breathing room to reassess your goals and refresh your mindset.

While this may work for some, with my first go-round with MFP, when I hit Goal 1, which was right before I moved, I backed off and didn't come back on for 18 months and 25 # :(

OP - I lost 30 pounds my first go-round on MFP with my goal set at 1/2 # per week. (I lost faster than this once summer hit and I started swimming.)

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

While this may work for some, with my first go-round with MFP, when I hit Goal 1, which was right before I moved, I backed off and didn't come back on for 18 months and 25 # :(

OP - I lost 30 pounds my first go-round on MFP with my goal set at 1/2 # per week. (I lost faster than this once summer hit and I started swimming.)

It works for a lot of people.

Breaking from losing and not logging for a week is a mental vacation...

I do it once a year when I go south...not only do I not want to log but I can't so it's great...I eat what I want...

I come back take another week where I am logging and getting back into things...and bam...back on the wagon.

It's more about the desire to return...the will to return. Wanting it bad enough to return.