Options
2»

Replies

• bexita617
    bexita617 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    Has anyone here made that transition?

Yes. I switched to a mainly vegan diet in October last Year.

What prompted you to do it & how has the change affected your health?

For me, I read Rich Roll's book (he's a vegan ultra athlete) which pretty much changed my life overnight. That in itself is unusual for me as someone who is naturally very sceptical.
    I made the change because whatever I'd tried before now simply wasn't working consistently so thought it was worth a shot.
    By going vegan, it would also deny me my nemesis foods, greasy meats and cheese.
    Before all the arm-waving starts, I know that the consensus on here is that you shouldn't deny yourself anything. But, for me, that simply wasn't working.

Health changes:

1) I definitely have more energy. That was the one, big, noticeable change that was fairly rapid.
    2) I haven't got a cold or Winter bug since switching.
    3) I'm far more aware of nutrients in food and the importance of proper fuelling.
    4) Less of the aches and pains that I'd simply put down to getting older.

A lot of the above changes are probably more down to me now eating far more nutritious food rather than cutting out meat. But, whatever the reason, the benefits have been real.

Biggest challenges?

The learning curve really. Had I gone just vegetarian, I think it would have been a lot easier finding substitutes for meat in meals. Omitting animal products entirely takes a bit of work but I'm glad I learned how to do it as it now gives me options.
    Also, peoples attitudes! I encountered a fair bit of negativity from friends and colleagues which surprised me. But, as it's no-ones business but mine, it doesn't bother me personally.

Where I am now:

I'm not in any particular group. I'm mainly vegan, but also vegetarian, but will also eat meat and fish occasionally. I'm doing the "me" diet which doesn't fit into a pigeon hole.
    My personal thoughts are (and this is just my personal opinion, not looking to start arguments) that the problem with modern animal products is that they're so far removed now from how they would have been. Genetically engineered to yield massive gains from the least input, I don't believe that modern animal products are a particularly great way to live.
    If I had access to natural, wild meat, I doubt I would have tried to remove it from my diet.
    There is also the ethical argument, although I must admit I do it purely for selfish reasons.

Anyway, sorry, that's a lot of waffle that mostly isn't that relevant to you!
    But, long story short, this previous self-confirmed carnivore who previously regarded veg as just "something that food eats" wouldn't now go back to an omnivorous diet.

That's awesome & I totally agree! Thanks for sharing your story. And I love the "Me" diet
  • bexita617
    Options
    yogi323 wrote: »
    Vegan here. I did make the jump five years ago after seeing a PETA booth at a gay pride festival, and being a fifteen year old girl who loved her animals, I went vegetarian cold tofurky that day. About a year ago I went full tilt vegan, and couldn't be happier about it. For me, it's all ethical. I don't want to eat animals or animal products (and at this point, they taste so gross to me) so I simply don't. I do want to let you know that being vegan DOES NOT mean that you are healthy. Oreos, fritos, french fries, fake vegan cheese, fake meat, and fake ice cream are all vegan. Now, nothing wrong with those things, but when I first switched, I would literally eat nothing but grilled cheese sandwichs, chips and soda. I think I went three years without ever eating a single vegetable (Excluding potatoes) I also reached my highest weight as a vegetarian.

Now, as for health reasons, you can be a healthy vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore. Be aware that the biggest piece of evidence for a vegan diet, The China Study, has been largely debunked. So do some research about health benefits of a vegan diet, and look close, because some of it is now outdated. As for my health changes, mine have been HUGE. I have a disease called Endometrisos, which is female reproductive disorder that causes severe pain during my period and randomly as well. Since cutting out animals products my symptoms have improved so much! I have more energy, less pain, I'm not as moody or as sore as I used to be. So for me and my specific situation, it has helped tremendously. My suggestion is to try it for a month, see if you like it, and if you do, stick with it. Best of luck!

Also, here is a group devoted to Veg-heads that can totally help with any veggie specific questions you may have!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback! & yes, I know not to indulge on packaged/processed foods. The book encourages a 90% plant;based diet (fruits, veg, beans, nuts, seeds).
  • bexita617
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I've been a vegetarian going for 14 years and counting now. I became a vegetarian because with all the countless plant based foods available I didn't find it necessary to eat foods that caused the end of another animals life. Having said that, I know that what we eat and why is a personal choice. I judge no one else by what they put on their plate. I focus on what I put on my plate.

I went vegan for a very short period of time, but found that I enjoyed having eggs and cheese in my life. I do the best I can to get my eggs and cheese from sources which limit the amount of harm and damage to the animals and know that I am doing the best I can.

I feel great being a vegetarian. I make sure I get plenty of protein and that all my food doesn't end up just being carbs, carbs, carbs. For the first few years there were times that I missed meat, but no more. Sometimes I will see a dish that has meat in it that looks yummy, but nothing that makes me want to eat it. It is also so much easier to be a veg head now than when I first became a vegetarian. There are always items on the menu at restaurants. I also live in a very vegetarian friendly area. There are a whole handful of vegan restaurants in my area, so I am surrounded by supportive people and environments.

Enjoy the transition!

My city is very veg - friendly too. I just gotta get better making time to cook cause I can't eat out all the time! Haha! Thanks for sharing!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I never said I was an omnivore (although I am). It is completely not the same thing. A vegan can't walk into a room without announcing his or her vegan-ness. If they are in the room with a bunch of vegans, they need to compare vegan credentials. When omnivores get together, they eat. That's pretty much it.

Anyway, if someone is posting a thread asking about different ways of eating, then it's natural to respond with personal experience--in my case omnivorous eating. It doesn't mean anyone is announcing anything--they are simply staying on topic. There is nothing special about a vegan diet, with the exception of the sense of entitlement it confers upon the eater, at least in the case of the "ethical" vegan or if you believe that it is a form of orthorexia. It is just as bad or just as good as any other way of eating with just as many obese people as any other way of eating. If you don't like that people respond to threads entitled "omnivore vs. vegan, etc." with an omnivore's perspective, don't read them.

So many people say this, but has it occurred to you that the only way you know someone is vegan is if they tell you? So by definition, all the vegans you know of have "announced it" at some point. I bet you know a lot more vegans than you think; many of the vegans I know keep it to themselves because of the kind of judgement and preconceptions you are espousing in this very post.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bexita617 wrote: »
    I just watched Food, Inc and I'm in the process of reading "Eat to Live" and I'm seriously considering becoming a vegetarian (or Nutritarian, as the book labels it). Has anyone here made that transition? What prompted you to do it & how has the change affected your health? Biggest challenges?

Anyone read the book? Thoughts?

I've watched pretty much all the food documentaries out there, as well as have read over 60 books on food, nutrition, dieting, food politics etc etc. My thoughts-every 'expert' touts their way of eating as the Only Way, and if you don't eat that way you'll die a horrible, disease filled death. And then the next 'expert' comes along with their way of eating, which is usually the total OPPOSITE of the other guy, and claims their way as the Only Way, and if you don't eat that way you'll die a horrible, disease filled death. And round and round it goes :p

I've experimented with vegetarian, Nourishing Traditions/whole foods, paleo etc and yeah, nothing magical happened with any of them, except I did experience some unpleasant side effects. So now I eat all the foods I enjoy, am mindful of calories, macros and portion sizes, and I continue to have great success not only for weight loss and maintenance, but also for better health (and I have the blood work to prove it). To each their own ;)

eta: OP, you start your profile page with "I've been through almost every diet fad, excersize video, diet pill you can think of" and yet you're starting a new fad woe?? Interesting....
  • bexita617
    Options
    bexita617 wrote: »
    I just watched Food, Inc and I'm in the process of reading "Eat to Live" and I'm seriously considering becoming a vegetarian (or Nutritarian, as the book labels it). Has anyone here made that transition? What prompted you to do it & how has the change affected your health? Biggest challenges?

Anyone read the book? Thoughts?

I've watched pretty much all the food documentaries out there, as well as have read over 60 books on food, nutrition, dieting, food politics etc etc. My thoughts-every 'expert' touts their way of eating as the Only Way, and if you don't eat that way you'll die a horrible, disease filled death. And then the next 'expert' comes along with their way of eating, which is usually the total OPPOSITE of the other guy, and touts their way as the Only Way, and if you don't eat that way you'll die a horrible, disease filled death. And round and round it goes :p

I've experimented with vegetarian, Nourishing Traditions/whole foods, paleo etc and yeah, nothing magical happened with any of them, except I did experience some unpleasant side effects. So now I eat all the foods I enjoy, am mindful of calories, macros and portion sizes, and I continue to have great success not only for weight loss and maintenance, but also for better health (and I have the blood work to prove it). To each their own ;)

eta: OP, you start your profile page with "I've been through almost every diet fad, excersize video, diet pill you can think of" and yet you're starting a new fad woe?? Interesting....

Thanks for sharing. I always appreciate a different perspective (as long as it's respectful...not mentioning any names^^^^ lol). I suppose every BODY is different & responds differently. I applaud your research & wish you continued good health!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And I wish you success as well :)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here made that transition?
    I have not, although I've looked seriously at vegetarianism. Mostly I was thinking that it would be a good thing for me to try and eat more legumes, veggies, and such, and as meat was never a big deal for me to eat, taste-wise, I didn't mind eliminating it.

What prompted you to do it[?]
    I was first interested because it was cheaper and I thought I'd be more likely to seriously start eating more veggies and fruits and legumes, which i thought was good for my health. Ethical considerations were involved, too, but financial constraints were a biggie, if I'm honest.

...how has the change affected your health?
    Horribly. Just really, really badly. Turns out, all the veggies and legumes and such that I didn't like to eat? I react to them. I have poor gut bacteria health due to celiac disease, some food allergies, a few food intolerances, and also need to have a low oxalate diet (don't eliminate oxalates as fast as I need to). All of these combined meant that a vegetarian/vegan diet is just impossible if I want to maintain any semblance of good health. Or live, really.

Biggest challenges?
    I just want to mention this one - the poor gut health? This can be a big issue for veganism or vegetarianism. Gut bacteria help a lot in breaking down or eliminating many components of our food. For example, things like oxalates, which are in higher levels in many veggies and impede one's ability to absorb calcium. So I would say anyone thinking about making the switch over would be greatly helped by homemade fermented foods, or probiotics, as they start off.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    omnivore. I believe in responsible consumption when and where I can. happy cows and all that.
    I have no objection to veganism or vegetarianism. I do have objection to those that are holier than thou.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    As an omnivore you can eat everything vegans, vegetarians, nutritarians eat. And then some. Or not. The only thing you don't get is a special label that lets you declare to your friends that you can't eat this or that because you've self identified with a label that doesn't allow this or that.

And that is so different as coming to a weight loss forum and loudly declaring your omnivore status. So so different. Pot. Kettle.

This I like. It is so so true.
  • Ginger512
    Ginger512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The book Skinny B..ch changed my life. Beforehand I gave little thought to how food came to be on my plate. I stopped eating red meat and poultry immediately. I do still eat fish and seafood. I do struggle with my weight, but am making progress by cutting out most dairy.
  • Billie09
    Billie09 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten meat or fish (48 years now). I don't eat eggs or cheese either. It was tough when I was younger and the choices and my education were a bit lax. Im up on nutrition now and life is good.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ginger512 wrote: »
    The book Skinny B..ch changed my life. Beforehand I gave little thought to how food came to be on my plate. I stopped eating red meat and poultry immediately. I do still eat fish and seafood. I do struggle with my weight, but am making progress by cutting out most dairy.

I keep seeing posts like this one 'I read xyz and I instantly made drastic changes to my diet!' or 'I watched xyz documentary and I instantly made drastic changes to my diet!' Do people actually do this based on biased pieces of information? Without looking at the opposing views to get a more balanced idea of the issue? Without talking to their doctor first? Without researching the issue further?

I've read over 60 books on food, dieting, nutrition and food politics, as well as have watched pretty much every food documentary out there, many hours of lectures etc etc. I've read books from 'experts' from across the spectrum-from the Paleo/Primal camp, lead by Cordain and Wolf, to the other side, like Fuhrman and Esselstyn. And then the miscellaneous outliers like Taubs, Graham, Fallon etc etc etc. And yes I've read Skinny B, as well as several other books by the co-author Barnouin. What I've actually learned from all these 'experts'-

1. they ALL think their way is the ONLY way for optimal health, and if you don't follow their plan you will die a disease ridden, horrible death, possibly while sprouting horns.

2. they ALL spout off success stories, stats and studies that prove THEIR way is correct. And anyone who claims differently must be using false data, skewing data, is a shill for xyz evil industry, was dropped on their head as a baby etc.

3. they ALL are trying to sell a brand (their name). With that comes books and the ever popular follow -up cookbooks. And surprise surprise, several of them also sell supplement lines and special 'must have' equipment, like blenders that have better technology than my car. Plus dvds, apparel etc. Oh, and retreats, lectures etc etc

And let's not forget all the non-accredited-in-any-form 'experts' like the movie stars promoting certain diets as the only way to eat. Or those who have very sketchy credentials, like the co-author of Skinny B, Kim Barnouin, who is a high school drop out-turned model, who eventually got her Masters in Holistic Nutrition from a school that was non-accredited and was shut down due to lawsuits against the school, which they lost.

Or the regular Joes who went through an experience like cancer, and wrote THEIR own books, convinced the way they ate healed them (even though none of them actually ate the same way).

So yeah, everyone needs to figure out what works best for them, but before making drastic changes to your diet which has far reaching implications, spend the time and actually do some research. It will really help you in the long run.

eta: just realized I had already posted in this thread, with some of the same info as above, sorry about the repetition :p
  • donalynvaughn
    donalynvaughn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been gradually making the transition to a plant-based diet for a while. I have lost 71 pounds since last July. As I have lost, I have made more and more changes to the way I eat. I now eat about 80-90% plant-based. Most days I eat 100% vegan diet. Sometimes I might eat an egg if I am really wanting one. If I am at the beach, I may have some grilled fish. If I am somewhere where there is nothing vegan and I am starving, I will eat the healthiest option available to me. If I am at home cooking my own food - it's plant-based about 100% of the time.

Why do I eat this way? Because I feel best when I do. I have read literature on both sides (both are biased by the way). I believe that a plant-based diet is healthiest, and so for ME that is what I choose to eat.