Help with frequent parties/BBQs?

Options
Hi all, am faced with some sort of food gathering just about every weekend. I've been trying to eat less throughout the day but eat something immediately before so I don't go there hungry. Still not feeling successful. Any tips or motivational speak you can offer would be much appreciated!

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You just have to learn to say no to food and drinks imo. If they are your friends they should understand (although they might make jokes about it)

Personally I'd make room by dropping my carbs or doing extra cardio around the time of the BBQ or drinking so I could maybe eat a sausage roll or drink a couple of beers or the like.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you know you will have a fatty weekend build up a defecit over the week. If you are below 5 days a week than go over the last 2 days it still evens out.

Also skip the bread. Use a fork and knife. No one will judge.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    If you know you will have a fatty weekend build up a defecit over the week. If you are below 5 days a week than go over the last 2 days it still evens out.

What's the reason for skipping the bread :o?
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you Aly and Alcia, good tips!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Stick to leaner meats, salads with lots of leafy greens and non starchy vegies... If you can, take something to share that you know works for you (salad with dressing on the side, vegies to grill - kebabs made with zucchini, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, and capsicum go well on a BBQ or a dessert - fruit platter with dipping sauces etc)

Say no to dessert if you don't need it, or skip the bread, or salads covered in dressing....

Don't eat to make others happy. They won't actually be offended if you say no! I only eat food I think would actually be worth it...no.point wasting calories!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Find a corn hole game or badminton or something like that. Find a way to interact with friends that doesn't involve food.

Also, offer to bring a healthy snack to share, like watermelon or strawberries.

I would taste the food offered, but try to limit portions really small and then go focus on something else. Don't stand next to the food all afternoon.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

It's carb dense and easy to go over cals.... I'd rather 2 plates of salad than a bread roll any day, or save room for dessert, but that's a personal choice
  • kimadm4
    Options
    Yes to all of these ideas. I was definitely standing near the food yesterday and noticed those who weren't. Thank you!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

It is just something i occasionally do to help skip on some calories. I almost always now take the top bun off my burgers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    portion control maybe? just because you're at a BBQ doesn't mean you need to eat all the foodz...portion control and self control are things well worth learning.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Moderation.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I like me some bread, but I eat my burgers protein style now. If rather have those calories in something else.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    digglekim wrote: »
    Hi all, am faced with some sort of food gathering just about every weekend. I've been trying to eat less throughout the day but eat something immediately before so I don't go there hungry. Still not feeling successful. Any tips or motivational speak you can offer would be much appreciated!

Make people hate you so they won't invite you. Easy game.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try taking your own food in your purse--apples, cheese, nuts. People have parties and bbqs to get together and hangout. You can have a good time with friends without eating the party food.
  • hammett50
    hammett50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, if someone's eating crap food I feel like I'm missing out and want to participate, think twice, you aren't missing out if you're achieving your goals !
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables. Drink less alcohol or soda pop so you have more calories for food.
    Take a reasonable portion of food just like you do at home. Then stop eating. Don't revist the food.
    Sip some water or tea slowly.
    Bring something to do with your hands. Get involved in an activity. Help clean up. Chat with people who aren't eating. Chew gum.

You could decline some invitations if a bbq or party every week is too much for you.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Work it into your goals. Get a little extra exercise. Eat less during the week and go for a weekly average instead of a daily one. Moderation.
  • kimadm4
    Options
    hammett50 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, if someone's eating crap food I feel like I'm missing out and want to participate, think twice, you aren't missing out if you're achieving your goals !

Excellent, thanks!
  • kimadm4
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Work it into your goals. Get a little extra exercise. Eat less during the week and go for a weekly average instead of a daily one. Moderation.

Great ideas!
  • kimadm4
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Eat more vegetables. Drink less alcohol or soda pop so you have more calories for food.
    Take a reasonable portion of food just like you do at home. Then stop eating. Don't revist the food.
    Sip some water or tea slowly.
    Bring something to do with your hands. Get involved in an activity. Help clean up. Chat with people who aren't eating. Chew gum.

You could decline some invitations if a bbq or party every week is too much for you.
    This stuff is fantastic, lounmoun! Large family, lots of grad parties...the gum is such a good idea. I'll read this before the next one comes around! Thank you!