what worked for you?

Options
as far as cardio and loosing weight, what worked for you? I just want to try some new things. ive been doing elliptical with no level, but at a fast pace, elliptical with a light 5 level but then going in reverse every 5 minutes (reverse x-train i believe the setting is), treadmill on a 2.5 level with a 10 - 10.5 incline, and on the bike with hill mode .

all of these are in times of 15-30 minutes.

so this is what i do, what do you do that works for you, or how could i tweak mine so im not so bored. thanks!

Replies

• mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym and they have an Arc Trainer machine, give that a try. You burn A LOT of calories and it is a great workout!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical to do cardio for 20 minutes - I do intervals that go something like this:

3 min - warm up, level 2
    sprint for 30 seconds (on resistance level 7), and rest for 90 seconds (level 2), I do this at times 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 17 minutes. Then cool down the last 3 minutes. I do this at least 4x a week.

This, combined with strength training 3x, week and clean eating to create a deficit of 700 calories (I don't eat back the first 200 of my exercise cals) has given me AMAZING results.

I don't get bored on my elliptical because I watch TV while I run on it and keeping track of my next sprint keeps me busy. :)
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Last summer I lost a lot of weight...about 25lbs and went from a size 16 to a size 10. This summer I am back at it again. Last summer I did Weight Watchers (I did not pay for it, but just counted the points). And I did cardio for an hour everyday and did weight training every other day. However...that routine got old and I did not stick to it throughout the year. This time around I am doing things differently. I am using My Fitness Pal instead of Weight Watchers, and I have a lot more variety in my routine.

Monday: Jilian Michael's 30 Day Shred
    Tuesday: Just Dance 2 Workout (for the Wii) http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/How-to-Burn-More-Calories-Playing-Wii-Just-Dance-The-Just-Dance-Workout/53/
    Wednesday: Jilian Michael's 30 Day Shred or Run outside if it is nice
    Thursday: Zumba for Wii
    Friday: Jilian Michael's Yoga Meltdown
    Saturday and Sunday: Swim and/or Walk

Jilian Michael's does a lot of circuit training which I find helps you lose weight and tone faster and it is not boring at all.

As far as my diet, I stick with My Fitness Pal and stock my cupboards with healthy snacks (Fiber One bars, Almonds, String Cheese, Special K crackers, Fruits and Veggies). I also make a lot of food out of the Hungry Girl Cookbooks.

I hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to friend me!
  • xdannigirl
    xdannigirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can always interval train. This is my usual cardio workout:

2 minutes: 2mph
    2 minutes: 3mph
    2 minutes: 5/6 mph
    (repeat 3mph and 5/6 mph until fatigued)
    2 minutes: 3mph
    2 minutes: 2mph

Usually it lasts about 30 minutes
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    as far as cardio and loosing weight, what worked for you? I just want to try some new things. ive been doing elliptical with no level, but at a fast pace, elliptical with a light 5 level but then going in reverse every 5 minutes (reverse x-train i believe the setting is), treadmill on a 2.5 level with a 10 - 10.5 incline, and on the bike with hill mode .

so this is what i do, what do you do that works for you, or how could i tweak mine so im not so bored. thanks!

check out beachbody.com. I have already done a round of p90x, lost 9 lbs and 14.5 inches, went to the gym for 3 months and didnt get any type of change in my body......now im doing insanity!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you get bored you could always go for a good run outdoors. I prefer being outside to being in a gym personally, but I also do the 30 day shred DVD's every other evening before dinner. Sofar so good :)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I like to change it up all of the time. I utilize the elliptical/exercise bike; running outdoors (including hills); exercise DVDs (I have "Yoga Meltdown" by Jillian Michaels, "!0 Minute Solutions: Pilates," the "Insanity" program, and the "Turbo Fire" program; Wii Games ("Wii Fit", "Zumba", "Gold's Gym Dance Workout", "Just Dance 2"); I take classes at the gym (Zumba, Core, Spin, Water Aerobics); Interval Training with kettlebell, etc.

The more variety the better as your body doesn't know what to expect.

I hope these ideas help. :happy:
  • fragilestrength
    Options
    Throughout the week I either: take yoga, pilates, spin, meet with a trainer, or run on a treadmill/elliptical. sometimes i take two classes back to back. or do cardio after a yoga/pilates session or before.
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options

I don't know your fitness level, so my recommendations will be based off the assumption you can do them. If it's too much for you, just drop the miles/minutes off.

I'm a big fan of 2:1 Intervals and Fartleks. I'm also a big fan of Vibram Five Fingers and Barefoot running. If you're struggling with running because of shin splints, knee pain or lower back pain (taking a stab in the dark here and making an assumption based on your use of low to no impact machines) then running in a minimalist shoe will help to 'force' you to run on your toes like you should. If you decide to try VFFs or any other minimalist shoe, then you MUST TAKE IT SLOW at first!!

Here's what I like to do to keep my week fresh and different.

Monday: Pyramid intervals-5-minute warm-up. 2 minutes running (i.e. 5.0 mph or higher). 1 minute jogging (i.e. 4.5 mph or lower). then, increase speeds by .5mph. Do this a total of ten times. At the middle two, start reducing speeds... (i.e. your run will look like this-5mph/4.5mph, 5 mph/4.5 mph, 5.5 mph/4.5 mph, 5.5 mph/4.5 mph, 6.0 mph/5.0 mph, 6.0 mph/5.0 mph, 5.5 mph/4.5 mph, 5.5 mph/4.5 mph, 5mph/4.5mph, 5 mph/4.5 mph) then a 5-minute cool-down. This sounds really complicated, but it gets way easier if you're on the track. 1/4 mile sprint/jog twice, then 1/2 mile sprint/jog twice, then 1 mile sprint/jog twice, then back down the pyramid.

Tuesday: 2 mile hill run on treadmill.

Wednesday: break, or stairstepper

Thursday: 40 minute fartleks. The exact opposite of an interval. It's a long time running with a short time jogging.

Friday: Endurance running... 5k

Saturday: Cross-training. (20m bike, 20m elliptical, 20m treadmill) from lowest impact to highest.