I hate veggies!!!!

Options
I hate to say this, but at 41 yrs old, I hate vegetables!!! I mean I will eat a few like corn, raw broccoli & raw carrots, but I can't get into anything else. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my veggies in?

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i fix pesto pasta. if you disguise things, then you will eat them. i throw everything in there. onions, broccoli, cauliflowers, carrots, mushrooms. just disguise them. also you can put some light cheese on them. ive personally never liked that. put some flavors or seasonings on it. you can also drink the veggies.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Birdseye makes steamfresh veggies that you stick in the microwave. They have corn, broccoli, peas, carrots, etc. You don't have to eat them raw. They are super easy, and very tasty.

For broccoli, I like to top the steamed broccoli with some lemon juice and some black pepper to give it some flavor.
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There's something called Omega Greens at GNC, you can buy to mix in juice.
  • msdawn15
    msdawn15 Posts: 26
    Options
    Me too...I wonder if there is a supplement that would give us our daily serving allowance?
  • mikesovoygirl
    Options
    Thank you so much for that. I can't do V-8 because I"m extremely allergic to tomatoes. I'm going to try disguising them and see if that works. Thanks again!! :-)
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That's what I do. I put vegetables in stuff, so I'm not eating them by themselves. Steamed green beans are pretty good. And I LOVE fresh spinach. That's where my love affair ends, however.
  • mikesovoygirl
    Options
    WOW, you guys are really giving me some good ideas, thanks!!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    What about something where there's a really strong other flavor - like a Thai curry stir fry with bell peppers and carrots? Or spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti? Sneak some zucchini into lasagna, or green beans or peas into mac. and cheese?

Quality of veggies makes a big difference for me, too. For example, there are worlds of difference between a nasty wintertime whatever tomato and a fresh one mid-summer. YUM! (with a little salt and pepper, mozzarella, basil, and olive oil mmmm)

Experiment and have fun! :)

*edit - sorry, I didn't see your post about tomatoes before posting :ohwell:
  • MeghanHill12
    MeghanHill12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try V8 fusions...... They taste amazing and have full servings of veggies. Hope this idea helps :)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Recipe books similar to this one: http://www.thesneakychef.com/ may have some tricks for you to disguise the taste or texture that causes you to not like them.

Best wishes

One other: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/8-recipes-with-hidden-veggies-2482562
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Also, one of my favorite vegetable things ever is sauteed spinach - Sautee some chopped garlic in a little bit of olive oil just until you can smell it. Throw a TON of fresh baby spinach (it cooks way down) over that with a tiny bit of white cooking wine or water. Wilt the leaves a bit and then salt, pepper, and put a little fresh lemon juice (and toasted pine nuts and asiago or parmesan cheese if you have the calories :)). Serve warm!
  • Teenamarie_36
    Options
    i'm like you, I hate veggies too. The only thing I like is corn and carrots. I also like the stuff in salads, tomatoes, cucumbers and such. I bought a juicer and started juicing the veggies I don't like. I like juicing grapefruit, orange, carrots, and I'll add the two cups of spinach, which I hate....at least then I get my greens.
  • Deran18
    Deran18 Posts: 8
    Options
    I actually have the SAME problem! My mom STILL hates them till this day and refuses to eat them... so growing up we NEVER ate veggies! Over the last ten years I have incoperated lots more, but it has not been easy. A nutritionist once told me that it takes about 2 weeks for your taste buds to get use to a new food. So if you can force yourself to eat something about 6 times, you will aquire a taste for it. That's how I learned to love broccoli, salad, and cabbage. But I would say to start off eating alot of what you already like... since you like broccoli and carrots (I wish!!) eat them as a snack like 3-4 times a week. I'm still working hard at this, but some of the veggies that work for me are:

Green beans with turkey bacon
    cabbage with turkey bacon
    tomatoe sauce, paste, etc
    peas mixed with gravy or sauce
    "steamables" (quick, easy and portable)
  • mikesovoygirl
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! :-)
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies, tossed with olive oil thyme sea salt and cracked pepper! You can find lots of roasted recepie combos online, after rinsing your veggies be sure to dry them complety with paper towels....it helps get that crusty edgealso you can use flavored oil sprays too.....