I want to Run

Options
But I am 81lbs to my goal weight.....is this an unreasonable thing to start now?

Should I wait to lose more weight?

Should I start now?

I have no idea how to go about starting this sort of thing..........

I don't want to hurt myself.

Any suggestions, stories, advice, warnings would be appreciated.

Replies

• horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Start the c25k program. I started it and I'm on day 2, and it's fabulous. If you have a smart phone, get the app... it really helps. (Set it to the woman's voice.. she's a bit more motivating :) )
    And I don't think you're too overweight to run. But perhaps start off with jogging.. and if you're sore at all in your joints after a run then ice/heat them (such as your knees or ankles).
    The biggest thing with anyone is to start off slow. Push yourself so you still feel like you're getting a workout, but not that it's hurting in a bad way.

I really think the c25k program would be best to help you get going, it's very good for starting off slow.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I had to stop running due to too many issues. I'm a heavy runner, so that wasn't helping.

My best advice is run off-road. A dirt trail is so much better for you than pavement. (No dirt trails where I live, which is why I've had to put off running.)

And get a great pair of running shoes. Replace them every six months at least.

It's a great exercise, but do some investigating so you learn proper form.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Www.RunInjuryFree.com
    "training"
    "half marathon"
    In the paragraph there is a link to "Conditioning"
    First 8 weeks do "conditioning" walking only
    Second 8 weeks you can add in the Jog segments
    And then
    If you are progressing you can move on to the
    "training --"5K" plan
    On the same site.
    Use your own ccomfort level as your guide
    Do not do Too Much Too Soon
    :-)
    The Gymboss is great and worth the money

Www.RunInjuryFree.com

:-)
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I started the C25K the first of the year. It took me more than 9 weeks to complete the program, but I started at 286 lbs and I did it. You have to listen to your body and take it easy on yourself, but I ran a 5K a few weeks ago in under 42 minutes. And I'm working on increasing my distances and running 4 times a week now. You can do it!

The biggest thing I would suggest if you can is to invest in good shoes. The rest of it doesn't really matter, but taking the time to get fitted for proper running shoes made all the difference for me. Everyone kept saying to do it and I ignored them for too long. But I'm so glad I spent the money on proper running shoes - and honestly I normally spend $60+ on good trainers and my shoes only ran me $100.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I love C25K! I invite you to check out my recent post about it, along with people's comments/experiences: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/245276-my-c25k-experience-so-far . Another great recent post with wonderful comments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/245243-training-for-c25k-need-more-supoprt

My experience with C25K (so far):

1) Do not let your weight keep you from running! I'm a big boy -- 260 lbs, and I finished my first 5K race (39:39) a week ago, and am running my 2nd in a week (aiming for 36 min). C25K has been wonderful. It allows you to ease into running, and you can always do it at your own pace.

2) Schedule a race right now. Find one that's 9 weeks out. Even if you aren't done with the program by then, run/walk it anyway. My first race was so much fun. Running with other people was a great motivator.

3) Do not run on consecutive days. As good as you might feel, as confident as you may become, let your legs rest. Not resting can lead to fatigue, injury and decreased performance. Trust me.

4) Take it at your own pace. Don't worry about speed -- just build up your endurance. Speed will come later. If you aren't ready for the next week's run, repeat the current week. No big deal. At the same time, though...

5) Don't psyche yourself out when the big runs come. You can do it! I stopped looking at the schedule and just downloaded the podcasts. I wouldn't know what was coming each day until I turned it on and the gal told me. Loved it that way.

6) I loved the NHS Choices podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) on my mp3 player. The gal has a great British accent -- and that would be sufficient for me to enjoy listening -- but she also provides tips and encouragement, along with the walk/run cues.

7) Run outside. Even in the rain. It's so much better than running on a treadmill. Enjoy the sounds and sights.

I never would have considered myself a runner, but I do now (slow as I may be). It's been fantastic, and a huge confidence boost.
  • willowrw
    willowrw Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't go too hard. Start out walking, running 1 minute out of every five or so, and slowly up the time until you're just running. It makes it so much easier to slowly build up your tolerance, and you start to love being outside and moving instead of dreading it. And don't feel like you have to run really quickly. If you're having an off day, just barely jog. If you don't have to force yourself, you'll start to love it, which will make losing weight so much easier.
    Also, invest in a good pair of running shoes. Make sure you go to a good running store where they look at the way you move and fit you well. Good luck!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I started running @ 215 lbs.

C25K is how I started. Start with running twice a week and increase to 3 times a week but not every day. Ice your joints when you're done. And might I suggest Body Glide (a lubricant for fatty's) you'll thank me later :blushing:

HAVE FUN! I'm currently out with a groin injury but I adore running and credit it with 50 lbs of weight loss.
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few of us that are starting the couch to 5k app this week (it only requires you to do it 3x per week). Read about it and really consider it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247329-couch-to-5k-start-today?hl=couch+to+5k&page=2#posts-3268150
    or search couch 2 5k...start today
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it would be unreasonable to start now! You CAN become a runner! There was an article in this months Runners World about the "heavier" runner. :smile: Just take it slow, listen to your body, and invest in a really good pair of shoes (a must for any runner). GOOD LUCK to you! Wishing you the best and hundreds of sweaty miles! :wink:
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Anyone can run! Make sure you have a good pair of shoes and a great attitude! I started by running one block, walk the next block and so on. Don't worry about speed it will come later. A C25K programs are great but I had trouble running for 1 minute when I started and I was always watching the time on my treadmill. Once I took it outside and went by things like run to that tree, run to that sign...I did much better and now training for a half marathon! Whoa! Remember to stretch before and after. Good luck!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I also did the c25k program. Check out Jeff Galloway's books. He believes in a run walk program. The idea is that the walk break helps you to run faster and longer. It also helps prevent injury.

Definitely get fitted for a pair of shoes at a running store.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I am heavy (especially because I am short). I'm working on the C25K. The biggest thing for me was to realize that there is absolutely no reason why I have to finish it in 9 weeks. I tried that last year and quit when I couldn't get past week 4. This time, I'm spending at least two weeks on each phase and it is working out so much better.

Listen to your body, know what it is saying and when it says it needs a break, take one. Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great way to get started, I started in January and couldn't get through 8 x 1 min runs, now I am just about to sign up for a 12km race in August!

A few things to think about:
    - it might be worth checking with your doctor to make sure there is no reason why you can't run, none of us know your medical history so we can't advise if it is a good idea or not.
    - get good shoes (fitted for you) and a good bra. If you can't afford them yet, don't run until you can.
    - make sure you build in rest days (doesn't mean do no exercise, but do some strength training or walking if you want to do something, just not running every day).
    - a combo of walking/running is a great way to get started and to build up your endurance.
    - if you get aches and pains, pay attention to them and don't be afraid to rest if you need to give it time for them to settle. Seeing a physio or other professional is worthwhile if you have ongoing pains, and don't be afraid they will tell you to stop running, they might just help you continue.

Enjoy!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You can't hear this enough, GET GOOD SHOES FITTED AT A RUNNING STORE. This will make all the difference in your running experience. I didn't do this soon enough. I thought I could just buy a good brand of shoes and be ok, wrong! It cost me plantar faciitis to run in cute, but wrong shoes.

I did C25K, but didn't care too much for it. Spent way too much time looking at my watch. Podcasts with prompts might have made the difference. I run, sprint, skip, jump and just have a good time.

You may have sore knees at first. It gets better.