Tired of failing.

Options
JheanW
JheanW Posts: 17 Member
Hi, I'm Jhean and I have been trying to lose weight for half of my life. I initially gained the weight due to an allergic reaction to a medication which completely shut down my thyroid. I doubled my weight and size in 3 months....no exaggeration. I have a hard time staying motivated and I stress eat. I also have an auto-immune disease that makes movement painful, sometimes to the point of collapse. I need to lose a little over 140lbs to get down to a reasonably healthy weight for my size and body type. I'm hoping this app and program will help me significantly.

Replies

• dbuie100
    dbuie100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello JheanW,

First do not look at tackle them all 140 pounds at the same time. You have to break this into smaller increments so you do not feel defeated.

Second do not set your calorie goal to low because you will not be able to maintain it. Look for steady weight loss each week and do not think that the loss of 1 pound is insignificant.

We both are following the weight watchers concept and South Beach concept for the foods we eat as our mindset has changed.

My wife has had a chronic obesity problem her whole life and this plan is consistently working for us.

Keep the faith!

Don and Jane
  • JheanW
    JheanW Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am very aware of the tiny goals to achieve big goals process. My best friend is a personal trainer and I have worked with him quite a bit. I actually got down to 262 lbs but my illness kicked into overdrive when it got super cold this past January and I gained 20lbs back. I am investigating Ayurveda as a possible management for my illness as the treatments available to me through Western science cause more damage to my health than the disease does. I'm hoping this will make a difference.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    JheanW wrote: »
    I initially gained the weight due to an allergic reaction to a medication which completely shut down my thyroid.

MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! I did it by following the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1