how on earth do I eat this much protein?

Options
dalansteiner
dalansteiner Posts: 61 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
..and what is the most affordable form of protein?

I am 51 and am dieting for the first time in my life after 3 months of weight training did nothing weight wise, but did redistribute the bulges a bit. I used to powerlift (30 years ago) to get stronger without getting too much bigger and am doing the same type of lifting now that I have started back again. Yes I am doing cardio as well.
I noticed as the weight has started to come off with dieting that I am getting weaker in my big lifts and after investigating a bit realized I was starving my body, protein wise. Most days I never ate over 60 grams, and my body mass is 221 lbs. So I adjusted my protein to 176 g/day based on .8 grams per lb of body mass and after 1 day of trying to scarf down that much protein I feel like a pig.
So, what is the least calorie intensive way to get sufficient protein? I don't want to eat 5 lbs of meat a day or gorge myself on eggs. Whey or casein powders are out because I cannot tolerate dairy. Nuts or beans are even more calorie intensive than meat so that is also a no go.
Maybe half meat protein and half rice powder protein? The rice powder protein tastes like hammered cowpies but is low in calories (60 cal per 12 grams of protein). It isn't as cheap as chicken breasts, but again, a lower calorie load.
Anyway, choking down 170 grams is not something I look forward to. Or am I calculating wrong? I have a BMI that says obese (barely) and my scale says 30 percent fat, so should I calculate protein off so called "lean body mass? " that would cut the protein intake down a bit.
Ideas anyone?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Seems like a tad high protein goal, did you calculate it based on your total weight or LBM?
  • dalansteiner
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Total weight. If I go off LBM then at .8 g/lb I could cut down to 124 grams from 176 which is a LOT more doable for me. And cheaper :p
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The actual amount is supposed to be 0.8 grams per Kilogram of body weight. A Kilogram is 2.2 pounds, so you are way over estimating your need.

221/2.2=100.4545455
    100.4545455x0.8=80.363636grams

But that 0.8 is only the amount you would need generally. Those who are trying to increase muscle mass can go up to 1.5 grams per kilogram.

100.4545455x1.5=150.6818183

So, I would recommend sticking between 80 and 150 grams per day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I use mlo vegetable protein or their super high protein powder, mixed in soymilk. I don't do milk, but am ok with yogurt. Greek yogurt has a lot of protein. Fish is also a good source.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to eat hammered cow pies?

Google "vegetables high in protein".

Check to see how vegetarians eat to get their protein.

IDK...seems to me an extra serving of chicken would be better than a hammered cow pie...just saying.
  • susstein86
    susstein86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do women who weight train have the same protein requirements as men?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The actual amount is supposed to be 0.8 grams per Kilogram of body weight. A Kilogram is 2.2 pounds, so you are way over estimating your need.

221/2.2=100.4545455
    100.4545455x0.8=80.363636grams

But that 0.8 is only the amount you would need generally. Those who are trying to increase muscle mass can go up to 1.5 grams per kilogram.

100.4545455x1.5=150.6818183

So, I would recommend sticking between 80 and 150 grams per day.

That's incorrect. Well, it's correct...but it's incorrect.

.8 per kilo is the RDA amount. But it's generally accepted that it's too low by half, particularly for anyone that's training or trying to lose fat while maintaining LBM. The OP's calculation of .8 per pound is the right number for their goal. If the OP knows their LBM number they can use that for a 1:1 ratio.

To the OP, being intolerant of dairy doesn't have much bearing on ability to use protein powders as there's really no dairy content. You can use isolate if you have an extreme issue as well.

I'm currently hitting 275-300 grams per day while cutting and it's not actually that hard. 3 scoops of protein powder, 5 eggs, 10 oz of chicken breast by noon, and it's downhill from there for me. That would put you at your protein total for the day and it's really not that much food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

IDK...seems to me an extra serving of chicken would be better than a hammered cow pie...just saying.

Wut even is this nonsense?
  • dalansteiner
    Options
    DavPul, I guess I assume I am lactose intolerant. BUT I am willing to try an isolate powder, just to get away from scarfing down so. much. meat.

Your detailed intake looks promising (and reasonable). I think I will try something like that.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Egg white omlettes packed with peppers, leeks and peas. All high in protein and low in calories.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Chicken and turkey are my go-to foods for that great calorie:protein ratio.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Wut even is this nonsense?

Well since you asked so nicely...

The OP wrote that he was using something to up his protein level that tasted like hammered cow pies. He also wanted to know how he could up his protein levels by consuming foods other than more meat.

My thought was and still is that whatever we consume should not taste like hammered cow pies.

My other thought was if one does not want to consume more meat then check to see what other options are available. One source for that would be vegetables. Since vegetarians and also vegans don't consume meat for their protein I would think that they might have some options for protein that might taste better than hammered cow pies.

Next time I post a reply on a thread...I will run it by you to see if it meets your approval.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Lean baked chicken breast, tuna, turkey, and game meat are my mainstays. I log most of the game meat as chicken. Seems difficult at first, but your body will adapt. Just time it out so you're eating plenty of protein throughout the day as DavPul stated, instead of feeling like you have to cram in protein by the end of the day.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    That protein number will be all over the chart

The old and debunked food pyramid that had people eating too many carbs had the protein level that low

A better balance of good fats like avocado and fish oil will help. Good lower cholesterol meats are a good source

I like a protein shake daily to start the day with a quick and easy shot to make sure I am fueled up and ready for the crap the work day tosses my way.

1.5 grams per pound of lean mass you want is often used as a reasonable target.

I want 150 lbs of muscle mass. 225 grams is my quickie goal. My morning shake gets me 40.

I probably hit 200 a day. At
    That rate I am not burning off muscle tissue for protein my body needs and I am still losing 5-7 lbs of fat per month and adding a pound or so of muscle.

I have been at this for a year and a half. Lost 115 lbs so far.

It isn't a radical quick fix plan. But yesterday I was doing hack squats at 275 for the last 2 sets of 8 reps. It is possible to maintain a reasonable bit of strength and drop fat. I like having 20 lbs of extra muscle weight. And you have to feed the machine.

I'm not looking for a extreme diet. A sane one, an active male can live with without a testosterone crash from poor nutrition or other crash diet silliness.

Good luck with it.

And your needs may be a bit different based on your genetics and lifestyle.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Egg white omlettes packed with peppers, leeks and peas. All high in protein and low in calories.

That sounds good! Never cooked leeks. Gotta google that

I have not tried that. Have done a lazy mans southwest omlette with a tossing of black beans and Pace hot salsa

:)

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    DavPul, I guess I assume I am lactose intolerant. BUT I am willing to try an isolate powder, just to get away from scarfing down so. much. meat.

Your detailed intake looks promising (and reasonable). I think I will try something like that.

I typically get in 120grams..based on 0.8 grams for lb of bodyweight....

Mornings for summer I add protein powder to my fruit smoothie...
    winter I eat eggs muffins with cheese and ham and a side of ham

Dinners are typically 125-175 grams of meat (chicken beef pork seafood fish)

Snacks greek yogurt (you can't I know)

But I have found that shrimp is one of the best ways to get in my protein esp for the calories.

I asked here one time how to tell if something is a good source and was told to look for 1 gram of protein for every 10 calories and it works great...

• DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When it comes to protein I have always enjoyed eating it over drinking it. Maybe that's just an Italian thing, who knows. I am not a huge vegetable fan so it is easier for me to just adjust my calories towards eggs, pork, beef, venison, seafood, etc. I have also learned that for me, protein shakes of all different varieties give me problems that keep me to close to a toilet all day for personal comfort. I've also learned to spread those meals out over the day, usually 5-6 times versus 2-3 times. Though doing that is a personal choice that varies depending on training times and duration.

Each of us has to find that combination that works for them. While we may all give you ideas as to how to get to that goal. Simple, plain trial and error will allow you to eventually find that combination that does the trick for you.

Good Luck!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have no idea on the amounts of protein but for me, I have been getting good amounts of protein from egg white scambles (buy the container of just egg whites) plus I add some chopped chicken to it. Are you intolerant to anything else besides dairy? I can't have lactose and found that I can do the lactose-free stuff so you could check into if there is any lactose-free cottage cheese, yogourts, etc?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You can do it, salmon for breakfast, a six oz piece has about 40 grams of protein. Lunch, sardines, 18 grams a can, have with spinach salad. Snack, two hard boiled egg whites, dinner, kale quinoa pilaf, with protein side.

Without trying I can do 130 grams of protein a day. But I love fish, and tend to eat salmon, sardines, and mackerel almost every day. I love sushi.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat 200 plus grams of protein because the food I like has a lotof protein. I do have minimums which are 80 grams fat and 160 grams protein I could careless about carbs I get them in its more about calories at that point.