Rubyitstime Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well I thought about checking it online and found this:
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-diet-side-effects.html
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Urinating once an hour (during waking hours) is a sign of a well hydrated person and doesn't necessarily indicate any other problems.
  • LindseyGyger
    LindseyGyger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When your insulin levels drop it causes your kidneys to dump sodium and you pee more!!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Urinating once an hour (during waking hours) is a sign of a well hydrated person and doesn't necessarily indicate any other problems.

This.

I'd average that amount (sometimes I go more often, sometimes less often), and I'm healthy.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Healthy carbs is a bad saying. They all metabolize into sugar.

I used to be type 2 and 2 years of blood tests confirmed diet and exercise reversed it.

And it was interval training and low carb high cruciferous vegetable diet that worked.

Frequent ruination in itself isn't bad if you are getting rid of normal water or salt reduction related water.

If it is frequent and small mounts of urine, that is a different issue.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blood glucose meter? If not get one and start testing! I have type 2 and urination is usually not a problem unless my sugars are out of whack! Also do you go for blood work and urinalysis every three months? Maybe get a second opinion?
  • sandmil
    sandmil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Forgetting the diabetes. Lots of people loose "water weight" at the start of a diet. That water is stored in your liver (I think). Basically it doesn't just disappear it comes out as pee!
    Everybody is something like 70% water. A pound lost is 30% fat and 70% water, again the water element isn't going to evaporate it comes out as pee.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    jburke141 wrote: »
    Do you have a blood glucose meter? If not get one and start testing! I have type 2 and urination is usually not a problem unless my sugars are out of whack! Also do you go for blood work and urinalysis every three months? Maybe get a second opinion?

excellent points and advice.
    as a "well-controlled" t2 diabetic on meds for diabetes And urinary flow,only a doctor can answer the op's dilemma.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also echo what @jburke141 says. Check your blood sugars on high pee days. If I were in your shoes I'd want to know if I was peeing excess sugar.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I have diabetes 2 but I have it under control and don't need medication.
    As soon as I go on a diet I need to excessively pee throughout the day. Almost every hour and my bladder us really full.
    Is this related to the diet or to my diabetes?
    I am now on a healthy low carb diet. My diabetes condition should be getting better not worse!
    Does this happen to everyone or diabetics only?
    Why does it happen?

Assuming you are regularly checking your blood sugar and your numbers are good, then this is most likely a side effect of your new low carb eating plan. I had this in the beginning too, as you deplete your glycogen stores you also deplete the water that is stored with it. It subsides over time. There is a low carb group on mfp with many t2 diabetics that you may find helpful.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have said and echo what you have said OP.

1. Make sure you're not heading into HONC/DKA.

2. I also find that I have symptoms of frequent urination. I've noticed that I pee more in situations when I think my body glycogen stores are very low - if I've eaten pretty low carb over the past 24 hours, if I've had a higher-than-usual net deficit, if I've done lots of extra exercising in the past few hours. I've always rationalized it by saying that glycogen holds water; less glycogen, more free water to shed. I don't know if that's all there is to it, but you're not alone in the "peeing more" camp.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that you have checked with your doctor to make sure it isn't the diabetes. Since it is not, I can explain the science behind frequent urination while going low carb.

Basically, when you lift weights you tell the body to store carbohydrates to fuel the workouts. One gram of glycogen (the storage form of carbohydrates in humans) is stored in 3 grams of water in the muscles. If you exercise intensely enough to burn those stored carbohydrates, you lose the water, but only if you don't replace those carbohydrate stores. If you are eating low carb, you aren't replacing all the glycogen stores you are using. Therefore, your body sheds the water that isn't needed since you aren't storing as much glycogen in the muscles. This is why people see rapid weight loss on a low carb diet at first, because they've lost the water weight along with those glycogen stores.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How much water/fluids are you drinking? Maybe drink less.