Marinades

Options
I know this may be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me if you should count the calories from marinades? I realize your meat steeps in this concoction, but how much of the caloric content are you really ingesting if you discard all the marinade?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never once logged a marinade...and I eat a lot of meat and poultry...and I lost 40 Lbs. This really isn't that exacting...you can never be that precise and IMO, it's really not worth the time and effort trying to be that exacting. Yes, you want to be as accurate as possible, but IMO people tend to take it a bit far sometimes and they get themselves all stressed out for nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it..it's going to be an immaterial amount of calories sticking to your meat from the marinade.
  • poolplayershannon
    poolplayershannon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just finished putting in a favorite marinate recipe and it was half the calories for the entire meal! That and it pushed the sodium WAY over the top.
  • christinapapou
    christinapapou Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Depends if you use some oil or not but I tend not too cound spices except for salt because of the sodium intake.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I normally log the calorie count for 2 table spoons. Some people weight the marinade and then weigh what's left after the meat soaks it up to see what's left.
  • poolplayershannon
    Options
    There is a tablespoon of olive oil in it. The spices counted for more sodium than calories. Maybe I'll try the weighing idea. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I suggest you not worry about such trivial things and enjoy portion friendly amounts of whole, unprocessed, tasty homemade foods!!

I'm making hanger steak quesadillas tonight. Marinated them in olive oil, green onions, lime, habanero, garlic, cilantro, and a spice mix. Cooked mid rare.

Make your own marinade!! No premade stuff!!
  • poolplayershannon
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I suggest you not worry about such trivial things and enjoy portion friendly amounts of whole, unprocessed, tasty homemade foods!!

I'm making hanger steak quesadillas tonight. Marinated them in olive oil, green onions, lime, habanero, garlic, cilantro, and a spice mix. Cooked mid rare.

Make your own marinade!! No premade stuff!!

Thanks. I made tequila lime chicken. Tequila, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, ground mustard, and cayenne. I always make my own marinades, they're not that tough.