Weight loss and exercise: Cardio or Strength?

Options
So my goal is to lose about 15 pounds of fat. I also want to gain muscle tone.

Should I stick to straight up cardio until I lose the fat, or can I start doing weight/strength training now?

I've been fit before, but I'm older now (25) and on steroids for allergies that made me gain weight.

Replies

• MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would recommend coming up with a training schedule that combines the two. Here is a link for a good article: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/cardio-vs-weight-training
  • JamesScapes
    JamesScapes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely both. Losing weight through cardio drops the pounds but will not shape your body in the way you most likely desire. Doing only cardio will only create a smaller version of an overweight person, not a fit person.
  • zuzi_
    zuzi_ Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You can do both.. more muscles, more burned calories.. Normally I do some cardio to warm up my body, then lift weights and end with more cardio.. I am trying to raise time of after workout cardio to loose more fat. HIIT is great option too.. I do it with jumping squats, burpees, push ups, mountain climbers.. More muscles you used in exercise, more burned calories ;) But in diet take care about eating enough protein to feed your muscles.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now! You don't need exercise to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. U can achieve that by eating less or add cardio to burn the extra calories as long as u maintain a calorie deficit.

How you look "tone" will come from lifting...heavy...but start small perfect your form and keep adding weights. Start with compound lifts, check out programs that incorporate compound lifts e.g Stronglifts etc

When lifting You might not lose the weight because of water retention and nubee gains, u might even gain a few pounds but concentrate on inches lost not the scale.

The rest it's time and patience :smile:
  • Boominati
    Boominati Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    combination of both would help you to reduce fat and tone muscles. you might lose some muscles and strength if you only stick to cardio.
  • rebecufas87
    rebecufas87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would do both but I would focus more in cardio :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So my goal is to lose about 15 pounds of fat. I also want to gain muscle tone.

Should I stick to straight up cardio until I lose the fat, or can I start doing weight/strength training now?

I've been fit before, but I'm older now (25) and on steroids for allergies that made me gain weight.

calorie deficit is for fat loss.

lifting/resistance training is to preserve muscle while losing fat and health and fitness

cardio is for health and fitness....

Older now @25 :D ...wish I was 25 again.... ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Both.....
  • gerbillama03
    gerbillama03 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficits confuse me TBH. I logged my normal diet for a week before I made any changes and was only getting 600- 700 calories when my recommended levels were 1400. You'd think I would have been losing weight then. I'm eating a ton more and logging 1100 calories and am losing weight. It doesn't make sense, but whatever. Which is why I'm focusing on asking about cardio/strength.

Thank you all for your comments :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficits confuse me TBH. I logged my normal diet for a week before I made any changes and was only getting 600- 700 calories when my recommended levels were 1400. You'd think I would have been losing weight then. I'm eating a ton more and logging 1100 calories and am losing weight. It doesn't make sense, but whatever. Which is why I'm focusing on asking about cardio/strength.

Thank you all for your comments :)

If you aren't losing based on your logging 600-700 calories you aren't logging accurately. You are eating more than you are logging.

For example if you are logging 3oz of chicken chances are it's 6oz....

if you buy a food scale you will get your eyes opened.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think