Does walking count as exercise

Options
niamh211
niamh211 Posts: 150 Member
if I do 10km of walking a day does this count as exercise and will it burn calories?? I usually do it in 1 hour 40 mins

Replies

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I count my 7-10 miles of walking as exercise. But not the stuff you do around the house, or normal day to day errands.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is one of the best exercises there is. It's low impact burns .30 x your weight in lbs per mile walked (sorry can't do the metric conversion in my head) and can be done 365 days a year.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ANY exercise counts. Intensity and duration determines how many calories it burns.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's great exercise! One of the best fat burning things there is.

However, if you mean count as exercise by entering it into your exercise log there is a lot of variability in the calories you burn. If you regularly walk that much, you might consider getting an activity tracker like a Fitbit.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is basically the only exercise i do! I am on my feet all day and walkk between 6-9 miles a day, it deffo counts x
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I count it as calories burned but not exercise. I count activities that push me a bit as exercise.

Just walking about and such is under my activity level selection.

I kind of don't want to call myself active, and then count walking aroud a lot as exercise

It feels like double dipping!

If I'm gonna cheat, it will be with an ice cream sammich
  • niamh211
    Options
    So when I tracked my walk it said I burned 300 calories! Does that mean I shud minus that off my intake
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    I would not subtract all those calories

A few people have shared they think the program overestimates calories burnt.
  • niamh211
    Options
    Should I not eat them back if I'm trying to gain weight though?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    niamh211 wrote: »
    if I do 10km of walking a day does this count as exercise and will it burn calories?? I usually do it in 1 hour 40 mins

yes...

and everything you do burns calories...you burn a whole ton of calories merely existing.

also, the way MFP is designed is to give you a calorie goal that already includes your weight loss deficit WITHOUT any exercise...exercise is unaccounted for activity which is why, when you log it, you get calories to "eat back". That's the way MFP accounts for exercise activity. With MFP you're not trying to create your calorie deficit through exercise...it's built into your calorie goals already...this is supposed to help people understand that while they go hand in hand, diet is for weight control; exercise is for fitness.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options

Oh yes then!

I'm trying to lose a few.

• niamh211
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

yes...

and everything you do burns calories...you burn a whole ton of calories merely existing.

also, the way MFP is designed is to give you a calorie goal that already includes your weight loss deficit WITHOUT any exercise...exercise is unaccounted for activity which is why, when you log it, you get calories to "eat back". That's the way MFP accounts for exercise activity. With MFP you're not trying to create your calorie deficit through exercise...it's built into your calorie goals already...this is supposed to help people understand that while they go hand in hand, diet is for weight control; exercise is for fitness.

Oh so basically my goal is 2000 and wen I burn 300 through walking I should be eating that back is it?
  • niamh211
    Options

Oh yes then!

I'm trying to lose a few.

Oh so I get to eat 2000 plus 300 woohoo ha
  • ritatinglelewis
    ritatinglelewis Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I walk with jogging bursts 1 minute walk 30 second jog... Or walk with 1 pound hand weights (both 2.25 to 2.5 miles), or indoor walking with weights (3 mile cardio) on xfinity.
  • branditabonita
    branditabonita Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My grandfather had heart disease and diabetes. He began walking 3 miles a day and got up to 9 miles a day. He was able to come off of insulin and lose over 100lbs. So yes, walking is a form of exercise if done for an adequate length of time!
  • niamh211
    Options
    My grandfather had heart disease and diabetes. He began walking 3 miles a day and got up to 9 miles a day. He was able to come off of insulin and lose over 100lbs. So yes, walking is a form of exercise if done for an adequate length of time!

Aw that's brilliant go him