struggling

Options
I've been trying for two years to loose weight. So far I've lost 7 whole pounds. Two blasted years, seven pounds and one size. I found running to be what motivates me, but two weeks ago both my knees swelled up and constantly throb now, so no running. Doc put me on low carb diet. I've lost 5 of the 7 pounds from that. Stuck at 217. Seems like everything is a major struggle for me. All the foods I can afford have carbs. They add up, putting me over my limit every day. I'm trying so hard, but not getting the results I should. So I ask myself why am I trying so hard when I'm not getting anywhere? So frustrated and disappointed.

Replies

• Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    maybe you should talk to a dietician or nutritionist to help you revamp your diet? do some searches on low carb meal plans on the web? Remember calories in=calories out. I am having a problem right now with eating too many calories and need to buckle down. Can you do low impact exercise like swimming or walking?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You don't need cardio to lose fat. You need a calorie deficit. Use the food section of myfitnesspal to log your foods. Make sure to weigh EVERYTHING using scales, none of this cup measurement nonsense. Most people eat A LOT more calories than they think they are.

Low carb diets aren't really necessary unless you have health problems, although I find it a lot easier to have high fat and low carbs.

If you have been logging open your diary so we can see what you have been eating which may help determine why you are struggling.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As alyhuggan said, you need a caloric deficit. Many people believe they cut things that are 'unhealthy', only to replace them with 'healthy' items of the same or sometimes more calories [such as replace soda with juice - sometimes juice will have even more calories! Go for plain water, zero cal flavored waters, or even zero cal sodas at the worst]. I've lost roughly 27lbs so far on just that, since my work schedule doesn't allow going to the gym much.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You may be eating more than you realize, especially if you aren't using a food scale. This post is very informative:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

• Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What sort of foods do you eat a lot of that are high in calories? If you let us know maybe we can make some suggestions to help you with some substitutions :) alternatively you could research some yourself.
  • GemeliaFP
    GemeliaFP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for support :)
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My Diabetic Educator has been my lifeline. I see her every month and we discuss what I eat. I measure everything I eat and count carbs and calories. Keeping the food diary on here is really working for me and looking at labels. I am on a fixed income so I know how you are feeling about buying the right kind of foods being expensive. If you don't have health issues try looking for a Dietician to talk to. Best of luck to you!

• Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb. I usually stay around 1400 calories. But you can look at what's in my diary for ideas.
  • saboorina
    saboorina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • saboorina
    saboorina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the reponse. Sorry I hadn't responded yet. Been super busy.
    I don't go over my calorie intake for the most part. This weekend was a bust caus I'm broke, so had to eat what was in the house. Then I stuck pretty close to it. Its my carbs that are always over. I did some adjustments today. So it looks better so far.
    I did talk to my doctor yesterday. She looked at what I eat and my exercise program. So far she is impressed I'm keeping at it and changed my eating habits substantially. I was eating nothing but carbs. Now I'm keeping them under 60 grams.

I did get good news from her. I've lost six pounds since i saw her a month ago. So guess im doing something right. I have to start back on my running routine after being off of it for a week cause of a knee injury. She did tell me that i need to cross train, not just run. Which im doing cause i ride my bicycle to work 5 days a week. i just need to do more weight lifting and strength training.

So i asked, "why am i not seeing the results i want??"

Guess what. Its the same answer I've had for years. I work graveyard. Answer: get off graveyard cause it is affecting my health and weight not sleeping. I have been trying. Just paying the waiting game at work, as always.