i know this has been talked about before...

Options
But I'm still new to calorie counting I also lost 2.5 stone with slimming world and I'm struggling to not feel panicky about eating my exercise calories. At slimming world it never gave you extra syns or anything so this is really new, today I've eaten 2000 calories my goal is 1490 and I did 1.5 hours of zumba earning me 844 calories from my heart rate monitor I've eaten more than half my exercise cals but now can't help thinking I've ate too much Cus all I see is that I've eaten 2000 cals today :(

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Chill out, you're fine. You ate back approximately half of your exercise calories. That's what a lot of us do. It's a good thing. MFP uses NEAT to determine your caloric goal. Any exercise is a "bonus".

If you need more reassurance, look into TDEE on www.scoobyworkshop.com - that tells you what you need to know about daily calories, but only if you are honest and consistent with your intake.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    A bunch of people are listing our exercise calories at 2.
    That keeps track of the exercise but doesn't add the 'burned' ones.
    Burned calories are generally only an estimate at best.
    Without using HRMs or such there's no way to really know. Even then......
    If you're hungry. Eat some back. Sometimes you will be.
    Today you ate 2000. Your daily goal is 1490.
    You ate 510 over goal. But ..... You exercised 844 away.
    Therefore your body is going to recognize that you ate 1146.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I prefer to think of it this way: because I exercised, I get to eat more. I went for a five-mile run yesterday, for about 525 calories. That meant I could take a little more of my chicken salad for dinner, have a bit of cheese after the main course, and split a bottle of wine with my wife. What's not to like? In reality, though, I try to average things out over the course of the week. The day I did a 43-mile bike ride in the hills, I earned almost 1400 calories, but I didn't eat them all that day.

The thing is, you need to compare your exercise (and food) calorie estimates with your results. If after 2-3 weeks you're not losing at the rate you want, then you're either overestimating exercise calories, underestimating food calories, or both. Lots of people forget that those numbers are only estimates, and you need to correct them based on results.