I need help. Please any suggestions?

Options
Hi. My estranged husband recently passed away due to heart (open heart surgery, stents, etc.) complications. He was 61 years old. His sister passed away one year prior again due to heart complications (she had both legs amputated). She was 58 years old. Two of my children, as well as myself, are very overweight. I put us all on a diet because I am concerned about their future health. My son is on board, but not my daughter. Here's what I need help with: a) how to get my daughter on board; b) I have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and find it really difficult to exercise; and c) how to stop night time snacking? I do good during the day, but come night time - not so much. Thanks for reading and for your suggestions. Good luck to all on this journey.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Your daughter is over 18 yes?
    You can not force her. You may be worried about her but it's her decision.

My gram has RA as well, hands and feet so I get that if you can walk or swim, do that. BUT good news is that you can lose weight without exercise. Diet alone will help.

If you're a late night snacker, save calories for the night. It may mean less at breakfast (or no breakfast at all if you aren't hungry) so you can stay within your limits.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have solved my night time snacking by going out for a walk.
    I know you have RA I have arthritis of my spine hips and knees so its tough my movement doesn't equal what everyone else does. However I got a fitbit and I walk before bed so that the pain can be dealt with by going to bed after walking and taking extra painkillers at teatime. I started at 246 steps in a day if the next I managed even one more step it counts as a result.
    We drive out for our walk and look at the view even if we can't go far.
    So my answer is try doing something else other than just sitting at night, board games even if you can't manage the exercise.

If you really must snack try a microwave crisp maker or popping corn in the microwave with no oil or sugar. You can add cinnamon for flavour.

The only way to get your daughter on board is for her to see how well you are doing and enjoying your new lifestyle. My hubby wasn't on board at all but he is began to notice how must better I felt. Now he is joining in and his arthritic knees are less swollen due to keeping them moving.

Oh and try turmeric golden paste for your arthritis :)

Good luck x
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. I like friends who share diary
  • PaulaBThrash
    PaulaBThrash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you lishie; madz0007; and sstrack123 Thank you for your replies. I like the idea of saving calories and walking one extra step a day. But what is turmeric golden paste? Hopefully, my daughter will join us. My son has lost 10 pounds so far (2 weeks in). We don't have a scale, so it will be a couple of weeks until I get one. I will let you know how it goes.
  • omkarbhimraobhosekar01313
    Options
    Madam kindly search ketogenic diet on google. Read it, understand it, go to your doc once for his advice & then follow this diet. You will lose weight within 2 months like upto 10-15kg without any exercise. And thing about night snacking, no worries, eat healthy food such as fruits or green boiled veggies or boiled white meat.
  • omkarbhimraobhosekar01313
    Options
    Doc=doctor