Think before you eat

Options
I think a lot of people eat without thinking about what they are eating, it's a lot easier to eat unhealthy, Because you don't fear the consequences, or worry about it. If your going to eat out, look at the menu online and nutritional info before you go, to have a plan on what you will be ordering to reduce impulse eating. Sometimes this can deter eating out, I used to think I was eating more healthy by having a sub or deli sandwich, as opposed to a burger. I compared a potbellys sub to a culvers burger and realized the burger was the healthier choice in this situation. Sodium is sneaky, you get over a days worth in most subs and soups. I cut out dining out for lunch, in 2 years of doing this I am close to 20lbs, and have kept it off.

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sodium has no bearing on losing weight, except of course if you are referring to water weight.
    Also, just because your going to a restaurant doesn't mean you can't eat impulsively. Just tally it up later.
    It sounded good natured but I don't really understand the point of this post lol.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It is more important to make sure you are along your calorie counts, for losing weight. Restaurants have gotten in huge trouble for their 'healthy salads' actually having over 1200 calories, so I do agree about looking up nutritional information before eating out. I do it every time!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    It is more important to make sure you are along your calorie counts, for losing weight. Restaurants have gotten in huge trouble for their 'healthy salads' actually having over 1200 calories, so I do agree about looking up nutritional information before eating out. I do it every time!

Yep I eat out quite a bit and I always check restaurant websites before going, and I pre-pick out what I'm going to eat based on what will fit into my calorie goals.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    This is the point of weighing and measuring and logging food. To learn how to think about what you are about to eat. After the past two months of using MFP I have gotten to the point that today I felt pretty comfortable with accepting an invitation to enjoy lunch with a friend on the spur of the moment. It was food she had already bought and provided so there was no choosing what to have. I was able to estimate the proper sizes of the portions enjoyed and logged them when I got home.

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    schlay wrote: »
    I think a lot of people eat without thinking about what they are eating, it's a lot easier to eat unhealthy, Because you don't fear the consequences, or worry about it. If your going to eat out, look at the menu online and nutritional info before you go, to have a plan on what you will be ordering to reduce impulse eating. Sometimes this can deter eating out, I used to think I was eating more healthy by having a sub or deli sandwich, as opposed to a burger. I compared a potbellys sub to a culvers burger and realized the burger was the healthier choice in this situation. Sodium is sneaky, you get over a days worth in most subs and soups. I cut out dining out for lunch, in 2 years of doing this I am close to 20lbs, and have kept it off.

If I was a 100 year old I would stop counting calories and just eat whatever I wanted at all times! :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

What is in a 1200 calorie salad? Or how big is it.

Is it like some lettuce with a tub of butter melted over it?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

http://www.applebees.com/menu/fresh-salads/oriental-chicken-salad
    (1,400 calories)
    https://www.chilistogo.com/Pages/ItemDetailsWebUI.aspx?CategoryId=49(C)&MenuItemId=4582(C)
    (1,430 calories)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

It's not very hard to make a 1200 calorie salad. Meat, nuts, cheese, creamy dressing, dried cranberries...in large amounts. I guesstimated a salad with walnuts, feta, dried cranberries and balsamic vinaigrette at about 800 calories once.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

http://www.applebees.com/menu/fresh-salads/oriental-chicken-salad
    (1,400 calories)
    https://www.chilistogo.com/Pages/ItemDetailsWebUI.aspx?CategoryId=49(C)&MenuItemId=4582(C)
    (1,430 calories)

That looks like a lot of salad. But did people actually think it was healthy or light option. That image looks like someone chopped up some KFC and put it on top of a salad.