No Carb Diet Anyone? ??

Options
sugarbelle83
sugarbelle83 Posts: 10 Member
I am wondering if anyone has done the no carb diet. Pros? cons? Have you added carbs back? Did you gain weight back? Should I have some carbs?? TIA!!

Replies

• LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    I cut carbs dramatically when cutting. Definitely works for me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    A no carb diet means no vegetables, no fruits, no nuts/seeds, etc…

It is not sustainable and you are basically setting yourself up for failure if you try it. Instead, eat a well-balanced diet of carbs, protein, and fat.
  • LegendaryOrange
    Options
    That said, there are a lot of unnecessary and low quality carbs in the average American diet.
  • VJMW
    VJMW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I keep my daily carbs below 50 g I have much better appetite control and lose weight steadily as long as I simultaneously keep my daily calories low.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    That said, there are a lot of unnecessary and low quality carbs in the average American diet.

OMG Yes!!!! Processed foods to start. Where do we begin.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you talking genuinely no carbs at all? As in no vegetables? Because you're going to be missing out on some serious nutrients.
  • LegendaryOrange
    Options
    My whole pantry is carbs. It's ridiculous.
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I lose. I can't say I do zero all the time but zero to very little most the time. Carbs are not my friend. I will say it's very hard to do so many things have carbs.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "I am wondering if anyone has done the no carb diet. Pros? cons?
    Have you added carbs back? Did you gain weight back? Should I have some carbs??"

Have not done so, would not.

Pro: depleting your glycogen stores & moving to burning fat sooner.

Cons: not sustainable, leaves out too many nutritious foods (fruit, vegetables, dairy, anything with ANY
    sort of sugar - things ending in 'ose')
    , what will you do when you decide you've had enough of this
    foolishness but haven't learned to eat a healthy diet?, potential to burn protein (muscle) which is hard
    to regain.

One reason some people limit carb intake is that it takes (IIRC) 3g of water to process 1g of carbohydrate,
    so having a high-carb meal makes it look like you gained a lot of weight... but it goes away quickly.
    Unless you're diabetic and your doctor &/or dietitian tell you to limit your grams of carbs to X each day,
    for medical/health reasons, don't torture yourself.
  • LegendaryOrange
    Options
    Don't eliminate. Just reduce appropriately and make the carbs you eat high quality ones.
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I should add that I have been told to do no to low carbs by doctors due to the fact that I have PCOS. When you have PCOS, you are typically insulin resistant, which means that sugars and carbs spike your blood sugar, causing you to hold on to those calories and sugar grams much more than fat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Don't eliminate. Just reduce appropriately and make the carbs you eat high quality ones.

This is my practical take on the subject as well. Almonds, celery, carrots, coconut flakes, dairy make up most of my carbs. Zero Carbs can be done but is of no interest to me for health reasons at this point in time.

For those addicted to carbs may said Low Carbing is not sustainable but that does not have to be the case for those who have been off carbs for a few weeks. It took only 1 carb nite out to learn I had good reasons to be low carb until my toes point skyward. :)
  • LegendaryOrange
    Options
    Yes, you truly do get addicted to carbs, and reducing 'cold turkey' is difficult, making a reduced carb lifestyle feel unsustainable at first.
  • haleklausen
    haleklausen Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle for about two weeks when I want to see my abs
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

OMG Yes!!!! Processed foods to start. Where do we begin.

somewhere else, since this is MFP, and quackery is not well-regarded.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat fresh clean foods, I also like to keep my carbs between 50 to 100. I also deduct my fiber from my carbs. I get most of my carbs from fruits and veggies, by doing this I have lost 33 lbs in 3 months and I don't go hungry or deny myself any food.
  • sugarbelle83
    Options
    I eat fresh clean foods, I also like to keep my carbs between 50 to 100. I also deduct my fiber from my carbs. I get most of my carbs from fruits and veggies, by doing this I have lost 33 lbs in 3 months and I don't go hungry or deny myself any food.
    Thank you that is def some good info!
  • sugarbelle83
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    "I am wondering if anyone has done the no carb diet. Pros? cons?
    Have you added carbs back? Did you gain weight back? Should I have some carbs??"

Have not done so, would not.

Pro: depleting your glycogen stores & moving to burning fat sooner.

Cons: not sustainable, leaves out too many nutritious foods (fruit, vegetables, dairy, anything with ANY
    sort of sugar - things ending in 'ose')
    , what will you do when you decide you've had enough of this
    foolishness but haven't learned to eat a healthy diet?, potential to burn protein (muscle) which is hard
    to regain.

One reason some people limit carb intake is that it takes (IIRC) 3g of water to process 1g of carbohydrate,
    so having a high-carb meal makes it look like you gained a lot of weight... but it goes away quickly.
    Unless you're diabetic and your doctor &/or dietitian tell you to limit your grams of carbs to X each day,
    for medical/health reasons, don't torture yourself.

Well this is not something I plan to do for the rest of my life by no means, I do get that I will habe to add carbs back gradually..I want to do this to help encorage me to stick to a wk out and healthy eating regime. I use to eat 1200 cal a day and wk out and I was in the best shape and healthy but over the past yr and a half and just need some quick results. I do still plan to wk out and eat better all around. Just need a jump start!