Allergy Girl needs help with snacks!

Options
Ok so I have a ton of allergies and I have a ton of weight to lose. Snacks are the hardest thing in the world for me because I am allergic to nuts. Almonds immediately make my throat close up. I am allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat, and bananas. There is some who say to do two healthy snacks and some say don't snack..... What works for you?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Snack all you like as long as it is within your calorie goal.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I snack when I'm hungry between 3-4 smallish sized meals per day. It works for me as long as I stay within my calorie range.

How about hummus with veggies (carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers)?

Homemade kale chips (kale baked in the oven with a little olive oil and seasonings).

Fruit, popcorn, rice crackers, baked corn tortilla chips with salsa. Just a few ideas.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Skip the snacks entirely. Eat more at meals and you will be fine. :)
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes (the caramel ones) are my favourite. Popcorn (with coconut oil instead of butter) is awesome too. You can also make little veggie packs that are great for a quick snack... it's always more appealing to eat something that's pre-cut and in a bag ready to go, haha.
  • sheacraddock
    sheacraddock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love kale.... let me change that... I LOVE KALE. But every time i try to make kale chips it turns out horribly but I am going to dehydrate them next time. Thanks for the ideas!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My daughter is allergic to eggs and nuts; I give her seeds instead as a snack and pistachios...toast with sun butter, carrots/hummus, beans tossed in oil/seasoning.

I don't really "snack." I just log all of my food and usually divide my lunch in half. That helps me stay satiated longer during the day.
  • sheacraddock
    sheacraddock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I went to the Dr. and he has put me on a 1200-1500 cal restriction and low carb. So I thought it would be easy because I can stay away from starches. Turns out there is carbs in many vegetables. I can't win for losing!
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My baby (he's 8, but still my baby) is allergic to corn and egg. Since those are in most prepackaged foods, snacks are fresh fruits and veggies in our house. We can do nuts and dairy, which is a major source of protein because most meats seem to have some corn filler or additives.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    So I went to the Dr. and he has put me on a 1200-1500 cal restriction and low carb. So I thought it would be easy because I can stay away from starches. Turns out there is carbs in many vegetables. I can't win for losing!

How tall are you?

When your doctor said "low carb" - how many grams of carbs per day did he mean?

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/150-carbs-per-day-still-considered-low-carb-7754.html

...According to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, carbohydrates should make up 45 to 65 percent of a person's total daily calorie intake. Any amount less than this could be considered low carb. For someone consuming 2,000 calories a day, this is about 225 to 325 grams of carbohydrates per day. Most low-carb diets limit carbohydrate intake to between 50 to 150 grams per day, depending on the diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    My baby (he's 8, but still my baby) is allergic to corn and egg. Since those are in most prepackaged foods, snacks are fresh fruits and veggies in our house. We can do nuts and dairy, which is a major source of protein because most meats seem to have some corn filler or additives.

/confused/

Not the meat I buy...are you talking about deli or otherwise processed meat?

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

/confused/

Not the meat I buy...are you talking about deli or otherwise processed meat?

Most meat sources seem to cause nausea and vomiting, so that was the comment the immunologist made.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Corn fed beef maybe. That must be a killer allergic reaction.

You can lose weight with three larger meals a day instead of snacks. Do you get really hungry between meals?
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My son was on the top 6 allergen free diet for a long time. Good snacks were applesauce, coconut milk yogurt, corn tortilla with lunch meat or refrained beans, safe cereal with coconut or rice milk, oatmeal, Gluten free pretzels, Aldis gluten free cookies (allergen free and amazing), chips with guacamole or hummus, and I made muffins and bread with energ-e egg replacer. Trader joes has a coconut milk ice cream that's really good and their gluten free waffles are wheat and egg free.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I also think keeping it simple and basic with snacks is a good option. Fruits, veggies (although they do have some carbs) string cheese, yogurts...when you are eating lowcalorie you have to make sure that what you do eat has nutritional value. Protein and fiber are two magic tickets for feeling full longer. If you need to snack for the "busy-ness" of it...try some gum, mints or something like that. When I first started with my 1200 calories a day, sugar free werther caramels were my go to treat.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    sorry about the dairy suggestions....nut allergies were in my brain and then I re-read your original post. oops...disregard yogurt or string cheese! :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

if you need to stay away from starches then you need iodine in your kitchen to test

Have you been put on low carb for a medical reason? I think I missed that. Low carb is not necessary for weight loss.

I suppose the questions you have to ask yourself are

1) Do I like to snack? if the answer is no then no issue

2) What do I like to eat that I have no issues with
    - then eat small versions of these as snacks

If we return to your allergies and ignore the low carb advice (unless it is medically warranted) and concentrate on calories for weight loss
    Ok so I have a ton of allergies and I have a ton of weight to lose. Snacks are the hardest thing in the world for me because I am allergic to nuts. Almonds immediately make my throat close up. I am allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat, and bananas. There is some who say to do two healthy snacks and some say don't snack..... What works for you?

so no nuts, dairy, egg, wheat, bananas

so every other kind of fruit?
    hummus and crudites
    chips - multipack bags are low in calories because they are smaller portions
    ice lollies
    breads made with wheat-free flours - toasted with jam?
    flapjacks - assuming you tolerate oats
    really the list could be very very long and it so depends on what you like to eat

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What about a tin of flavoured tuna, or shrimp with cocktail sauce? Berries, mango, gluten free crackers with antipasto...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What about a tin of flavoured tuna, or shrimp with cocktail sauce? Berries, mango, gluten free crackers with antipasto...

what on earth is flavoured tuna?

my mind is a boggling

I am thinking of making fish taste like vanilla for some reason
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

what on earth is flavoured tuna?

my mind is a boggling

I am thinking of making fish taste like vanilla for some reason

LOL that does sound disgusting!!

This is my favourite one:
    fltdill_lemon-85gen.jpg?itok=5YtviUgI

There are lots of other flavours and brands though. There's spicy thai chili, lemon pepper, etc.