How do I not look ridiculous lifting?

Options
i've never lifted before but would really like to add heavy lifting into my workout routine. The only thing that has held me back so far is my pride. I know I am weak and I know that I have no idea where to even start. I have memberships at planet fitness and our ymca. But i walk past the weights right to the elliptical. I get anxiety when I consider adding weights!

Right now I generally do 45min-1 hour on the elliptical (4-6 miles) 5-6 days a week.

I've lost 35lbs since jan 1 and am ready to go into maintenance soon.

Any suggestion? Success stories? I heard there is a forum for women and heavy lifting but I can't find it on the app. Anyone have a link?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Pick a program (Starting Strength, SL 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves, etc). Read it and watch videos on all the lifts you have to perform. Ask questions, start light, video yourself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Pick a program (Starting Strength, SL 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves, etc). Read it and watch videos on all the lifts you have to perform. Ask questions, start light, video yourself.

came in to say this.

You could also hire a trainer for 1-2 sessions to check your form and build confidence.
  • arditarose
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

came in to say this.

You could also hire a trainer for 1-2 sessions to check your form and build confidence.

And I agree with this. I hired a trainer, and it definitely made things tight financially for a few months but I also learned all my compound lifts and haven't looked back.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Study up or find someone willing to show you. Just remember that EVERYONE feels this way when they begin. The weight room is pretty intimidating and it's hard to not think everyone is looking at you. Just remember...they're not. They're probably worried others are doing the same. Or they're tinkering with their phones. I went to bodybuilding.com and learned each lift and movement so I felt comfortable walking in and going at it. Congratulations on your work this far but don't be afraid to take the next step!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    The strongest man in the gym didn't start out bench pressing 300+, he had to start small and work his way up. If you go in to lift and take yourself and what you're doing seriously, the veterans aren't going to look down their noses at you, no matter how much/little you are using.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I guarantee that you will not look ridiculous lifting.

If your question is how not to FEEL ridiculous about lifting, here are some ideas:

1. Research Starting Strength and Stronglifts online (two different starter heavy lifting programs whose schedule fits well with cardio. I'm doing two days a week instead of three.)
    2. Watch a bunch of YouTube videos to get an idea of good form and pitfalls for the lifts you're going to use.
    3. Make an appointment with a trainer at one of your gyms! Most importantly, they can work with you on proper form so you don't get hurt and DO get stronger. They can also teach you the basics of etiquette, like where each different weight of disc is stored, how to adjust the squat rack so you can use it and how to adjust it back at the end (if you are a shorty like me 8) ).
    4. If you feel weak or inadequate, consider that I started with a 16 pound overhead press. For reference, the bar alone is 45.
    5. The programs DO work. They WILL work for you. Everyone is a beginner at some point.

The Stronglifts group is pretty active:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

...i don't know about that....
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the quick and very helpful responses! I already feel more confident.

And yes, it's more about feeling ridiculous. I truly have no upper body strength. It's sad.

But you guys are right, everyone starts somewhere.

I'll get a training session set up at the ymca asap.

YouTube videos are a great idea too!

I'm starting to get bored with an hour of cardio most nights so I bet the weights will be a nice change.

• cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Haha- I don't either :)

But I like the sentiment.
  • arditarose
    Options
    cmoll520 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for the quick and very helpful responses! I already feel more confident.

And yes, it's more about feeling ridiculous. I truly have no upper body strength. It's sad.

But you guys are right, everyone starts somewhere.

I'll get a training session set up at the ymca asap.

YouTube videos are a great idea too!

I'm starting to get bored with an hour of cardio most nights so I bet the weights will be a nice change.

Oh, it will definitely be a nice change!

For form videos I pretty much love all the Mark Rippetoe videos for compound lifts.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I'll second that, even those of us who lift regularly still look funny doing it. Just one of those necessary evils of lifting. There is doing the lift correctly and with good form to prevent injury, but looking on it still looks funny. Just try and not be the one that grunts all the time. Some of the gyms I've been to even have had to place signs about it and those were power lifting gyms. Though, I think the majority of grunters are steroid users (Of both sexes). LoL!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere.

I'm sure I manage to look ridiculous with some regularity.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You won't look more ridiculous than anybody else lifting. I started at really low weights especially for upper body stuff and nobody bats an eye (and I work out in a gym of competitive bodybuilders and power lifters). I literally use the curl bar for overhead presses.

I recommend you get a few training sessions and try it. Once you're throwing that bar on your back and squatting, you won't feel ridiculous - you'll feel like a bada$$ :smile: