Aaargh! Hungry Rant!

Options
I am so sick of counting calories and logging everything and always debating everything I eat and constantly denying myself! This has been brewing for the last few days and is evident in my calorie counts. I'm just tired of it all and thinking about taking a few days "off" then coming back before I give up completely and don't come back at all.

I am seeing some results which is motivating (wore jeans today that used to be too snug in the waist) but it's not making up for the constant fanatical attention I feel like I'm giving my food. Ugggh!

I also gained back a pound days ago and thought it was pms but still haven't gotten my period and am now up two pounds and am cranky and tired and hungry all the time and so unbelievably sick of eating salad!!!

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I go thru the same thing. It's ok to take a break, I have and it made me think twice and got back into better eating you can look at my food diary if you'd like.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Start increasing your fiber. Konjac Glucomannan powder is excellent for this. You can make some awesome instant low cal puddings and quick icecreams and such.

Also what foods are you missing. There's no reason to cut the things you love out of your diet. With some changes and that you can have everything you love which prevents the feeling of deprivation. Let me know if you need any help. I'm the queen of food.
  • Carflea
    Carflea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't give up :). I feel your pain! Hopefully your about to lose big soon. When I get really angry that I "deprive" myself too much I chant: Eat to live not live to eat.

Just keep swimming!
  • GinaSmash
    GinaSmash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try getting 8-9 hours of sleep. For some reason that sets the weight loss gears in motion. It's like fasting without thinking about food. It gives your body enough time to process the food you ate and your muscles time off.
  • jcott28
    jcott28 Posts: 16
    Options
    Keep up the good work. It gets annoying, but eventually, the logging can be so much easier because what you're learning that first month are the things you can and shouldn't eat. You get a good idea on gauging or approximating calories and then you can enter them in bulk at the end of the night or if you have a mobile app it's easy too. The tools here that keep track of most used and recent foods tend to get used 90% of the time for me now. Rarely do I have to look stuff up anymore.

Just make sure you eat stuff high in protein! It'll keep ya full longer :)
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    use to be like this now i become sorta of a diet chef for myself and it helps keep away boredom
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Ok first of all. You need some protein and fat in your diet. Don't limit yourself to vegetables and carbs. Allow yourself a cheat meal or a (decent) cheat day a week. That way you keep your cravings in check and it also helps to keep your body guessing how many calories it will get. Trust me, I'm a doctor. Not really...
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know its hard, but I've learned a few things. The first is eat a whole of whole foods, cut out processed foods. Eating grilled chicken, salads, homemade recipes with little additives (sauces/etc) will help keep your calorie count low without having to count.

Also, once you get in the habit of all this, you start to automatically realize what is good for you and what will cause you to go over. I wish you the best of luck, but hang in there! Take a few days off and get back to it :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Stop eating salad. Is that all you eat? Eat a variety of foods. I would be cranky if I denied myself, too. Sounds like maybe you need a little protein or maybe some chocolate. I eat pasta and cheese when I'm cranky. Just make sure you eat in moderation and within your calorie limits. If you want more food then go do some exercise to earn it. DON'T GIVE UP! People fail diets because they are denying themselves their favorite foods and they can't maintain that long-term. The point of MFP isn't to starve yourself of the good stuff. It's to control your portions and encourage you to build a long term healthy lifestyle. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • eaber
    eaber Posts: 25
    Options
    STOP FIGHTING YOURSELF! Yes you can count calories without depriving yourself or only eating salad or boring food! You just have to be a bit more creative. I eat many meals a day and never feel hungry even though I have always thought that dieting means depriving. THe internet is a limitless resource for food that is good for you and taste awesome. And stop stressing about it. If you need a break, take a break. You can do it. You can meet your goals. Your are strong!
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Don't take a break. This is all really a state of mind and you can be strong and overcome this. Don't let your cravings control you, make them your slave. You are strong and only YOU can make this change. You should never be starving. That is not good for you. A little hungry is fine but not the point where you feel like binging. Find substitutes for those foods you crave. I love chocolate so my one yummy snack is pudding. And not low fat pudding but the real tasty stuff. It isn't logged as extra calories but is fitted into my 1200-1300 calorie intake for the day. Don't give up you can do this. It took me 4 years to get to this point where I am finally feeling in control. I wish I had been stronger earlier. Good luck. Oh and I haven't given up my foods. I still eat fried chicken and pasta every week. I use portion control. It really helps when you can still eat "some" of the foods you still like.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding cocky, I know a LOT about nutrition. I have books and have read a lot on another natural bodybuilding forum. I have also lost fat and built muscle so I've gone through both losing and gaining. And cheating is a MUST. Don't make the cheat day a whole burger,fries,ice cream day. Try to hit your ratios with good food and allow yourself for some ice cream and/or pizza/burger on the side.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was hungry all the time too when I ate super high carb. I switched around my macros a few days ago to 20% carb, 40%protein, 40% fat and I feel so much better- more full, and I'm eating under my calories rather than being so hungry and eating over them most days on the higher carb diet.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you eat high fiber carbs, you shouldn't be hungry. Processed junk carbs do that to you.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I guess I should add that I'm not just eating salad, not by any stretch!!! I'm eating all kinds of stuff, some good, some not so good but I used to just eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it and now I'm having to cook (more work) and eat less (more hunger) and debate every choice (more stress) and it's all just wearing on me. I know my old habits got me where I am now, but I ate like that cuz I liked to eat like that - it's easy and yummy and comforting! I know I need to change, but I miss food being easy and yummy and comforting!

Thanks for the support and advice though - I'm running myself a bubble bath and I'm going to go soak with a good book and maybe a chocolate pudding cup and see if that helps.