I need advice on many issues

Options
First: I have to lose 100+ pounds. I have set my goal for 2 pounds a week. Is this realistic? (I lost 10 the first 10 days, but credit that loss to the fact that I had been on vacation and gained 15 during the vacation)

Second: My calorie goal is 1440 calories per day. I have been consuming between 1100 and 1200. My challenge is selecting foods with the proper nutrients to balance the calories and all the nutrients. When I reach the end of the day and need 450 or 500 more calories, but have already used the fat and sugar allotments, what food can I add for calories only? Last night I had a beer with dinner and that created the balance, but that seems counter productive. Any suggestions?

Third: The only exercise that doesn't cause me a lot of pain is my exercise ball. I can't find any info on the value of this. I feel like it helps circulation if nothing else. The exercise calculator lists everything imaginable, but not that. Ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what your stats - height/weight/age/gender?

First - yes, two pounds per week is realistic at first. however, as you lose weight you may want to adjust that to one pound a week so that you can get calories in and are not starving all the time. I would also suggest incorporating strength training so that you retain muscle. Look up starting strength, strong lifts, etc.

Second - if you have already met your macros and micros for the day then you can have whatever you want. So if you have 400 calories and want to have cookies and ice cream, then by all means do so. Just make sure that the rest of your calories are coming for nutrient dense foods. Honestly, with so much to lose I would focus more on just staying in your calorie target than balancing out your foods.

third - what kind of exercise are you doing on the ball? If it is minimal probably best to just not log it the exercise….
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good luck to you. I also started out with 100 lbs to lose, starting 260, goal 160 as a 5'9" male, currently about 203.

2 lbs per week is entirely realistic. That being said, don't be disappointed if you don't get there. My MFP goal is set to 2 lbs/week but because life happens (ie. I go over my allotment sometimes) I'm actually losing about 1.25 lbs/week. That's okay too; progress is progress.

I would second what @ndj1979 wrote: focus on calories for now, don't worry about the details. In six weeks when your logging and calorie restricting is second nature and you're really doing this as a routine, then you can add in some detail focus to really hone in on it. Your biggest enemy right now is the omnipresent desire to quit - DON'T QUIT. This system WORKS. Just stick it out for 2 months, PROVE to yourself that it works, and then refine it.

Third, it's really f'n hard to exercise when you're already carrying 100 lbs everywhere you go. Start with walking. Don't log it. When you lose a bit of weight, you'll be able to (and want to) do more.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Most fruits and vegetables have no fat. And the bulk of 4-500 calories of those should keep you busy for a while. No-fat yogurt, especially frozen, is good and feels like a treat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Most fruits and vegetables have no fat. And the bulk of 4-500 calories of those should keep you busy for a while. No-fat yogurt, especially frozen, is good and feels like a treat.

why non fat? you need fat in your diet to help absorb vitamins and minerals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

are you communicating to us from the 1980's???
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I suggest asking to befriend others here who are on your same calorie restriction and hitting nutritional goals - that way you can see and get inspiration from their logs.
    When I reach the end of the day and need 450 or 500 more calories, but have already used the fat and sugar allotments, what food can I add for calories only? Last night I had a beer with dinner and that created the balance, but that seems counter productive. Any suggestions?

I suggest choosing slightly leaner options for your breakfast or lunch so you can have something fattier at dinner, if that suits you better.

Third: The only exercise that doesn't cause me a lot of pain is my exercise ball. I can't find any info on the value of this. I feel like it helps circulation if nothing else. The exercise calculator lists everything imaginable, but not that. Ideas?

What are you doing with it? Sure it's got value if it's helping you move your joints in a functional way. I think it would count as stretching, though, maybe.

Can you walk? Have you heard about Leslie Sansone's walking videos, which you can do at home? Or swim?

You don't actually have to do anything other than diet to lose weight, which should reduce pressure on your joints and will make it easier to do other things later.
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ive just passed 100+ lost using lower calories, and walking.
    Walking is primo and only hurts the joints at the end of the day... but it's a good hurt. Hard to explain.
    Good luck in your journey !! Starting at 2 pounds a week is fine as long as you're not chewing at your fingers :)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Good luck to you. I also started out with 100 lbs to lose, starting 260, goal 160 as a 5'9" male, currently about 203.

2 lbs per week is entirely realistic. That being said, don't be disappointed if you don't get there. My MFP goal is set to 2 lbs/week but because life happens (ie. I go over my allotment sometimes) I'm actually losing about 1.25 lbs/week. That's okay too; progress is progress.

I would second what @ndj1979 wrote: focus on calories for now, don't worry about the details. In six weeks when your logging and calorie restricting is second nature and you're really doing this as a routine, then you can add in some detail focus to really hone in on it. Your biggest enemy right now is the omnipresent desire to quit - DON'T QUIT. This system WORKS. Just stick it out for 2 months, PROVE to yourself that it works, and then refine it.

Third, it's really f'n hard to exercise when you're already carrying 100 lbs everywhere you go. Start with walking. Don't log it. When you lose a bit of weight, you'll be able to (and want to) do more.

^^^This. Absolutely this^^^
    I started with walking. About 15 pounds lost later I started "jogging" (quotes because I can WALK faster than I jog), at just over 20 pounds lost I added in cycling (should've cycled before I "jogged", easier on the joints), and at 25 pounds lost, I can't wait to go outside and do something, anything, because it feels SO good! It burns calories and allows me to eat more. It's also amped up my weight loss per week.

Like Zedeff says...DON'T QUIT!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can safely ignore MFPs fat and sugar allotments. Fat is good. If you need more protein, eat things like this:
    Almonds
    Macadamia nuts
    Peanut butter
    Cheese
    Larger portions of meat
    Cuts of fattier meat
    Beans
    Eggs
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You can safely ignore MFPs fat and sugar allotments. Fat is good. If you need more protein, eat things like this:
    Almonds
    Macadamia nuts
    Peanut butter
    Cheese
    Larger portions of meat
    Cuts of fattier meat
    Beans
    Eggs

How does "cuts of fattier meat" add to protein intake? Surely, calorie for calorie, you must understand that 95% lean meat has more protein than 80% lean meat.
  • Myrnlvr
    Myrnlvr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain do you have? I know it was already mentioned, but if at all possible try swimming. Even if that just means holding a flutter board and stretching out at first, add in some kick as you can or walk a lazy river. I have severe lower back pain (awaiting surgery) and I feel best when I am in the water, to this point it is the only exercise I have been able to do aside from some yin yoga.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

I think she is suggesting nonfat items because the OP said she maxes out her fat goals and wants to fill another 4-500 calories without adding more fat. But I'm with everyone else and would just suggest not overthinking it at this point. Eat within your calorie goals and try walking.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Mr. Stratton,

You've gotten some great advice here. I'm here just to give you a.....

cup-of-encouragement-promotion-1-638.jpg?cb=1364249017

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Why does exercise hurt? Injured joints?

But like others said try walking, swimming, or something else low impact, just to start moving.