Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes, about 40-50% of it especially during intense cardio days.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat everything back since I'm trying to gain weight. 2400 calories is tough to eat normally, let alone after an extra 300-400 exercise calories... lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat everything back since I'm trying to gain weight. 2400 calories is tough to eat normally, let alone after an extra 300-400 exercise calories... lol

2400...Sadly, that's extremely easy for me.
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am always afraid I am over estimating my calorie burn so I would eat at most 100 cal back (I do insanity)
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Nope, I drink them. Gin and tonic will be my beverage of choice tonight

I second that notion!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I eat some of my exercise calories. I rarely eat all of them.
  • dalansteiner
    dalansteiner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here here on the gin and tonic
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

2400...Sadly, that's extremely easy for me.

If I hit the sushi place everyday, I can easily get 1300-1500 in one meal. :smiley:
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I usually lose *more* weight, more consistently, when I eat back my exercise calories... Your body needs fuel when it works out! I'm still trying to lose at about .5 pound a week, but given than I'm about to start marathon training, I'm more interested in eating well, when I'm hungry, than monitoring every single calorie that goes into my mouth.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    That's mainly because the 16-20mph spread is far too wide! There is a hell of a difference between an all day 16mph pace and 20mph.

Nah, it's mostly because MFP overestimates. My 500 calories/hour at 16 mph involved substantial climbing. On flat ground with no wind, I need to go 18-19 mph to burn that. I live in western Massachusetts, in the Connecticut River valley. If I go north or south, I don't gain much elevation, but if I head east or west, my average speed drops substantially but I burn more calories.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I start eating back my exercise calories slowly when I reach closer to goal weight. That way, when I am at goal, I am eating what to me seems like a lot of food, and it becomes a lifestyle and no longer a diet. But I like to give myself a jumpstart so at the beginning, I don't eat them back. Everyone is different though! I say if you are hungry, eat. Ignore the calories. Just ensure you are eating healthy and clean food. You should be fine.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I eat about half, but that's largely because I cannot eat more than that. My target is 1650 per day and I'm eating at 40/40/20, so the protein is super filling. Half my exercise calories brings me to about 1900 (or more) per day, and when you're eating mostly nutritious foods, those calories stretch pretty far.

When I was doing all cardio and targeting 1200 calories per day, I ate every exercise calorie because I was constantly STARVING.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat back all of them. Today was different for some reason. Ran a 10K, had a small lunch, then a big salad and a BLT wrap for dinner (packed with lettuce and tomato) and I was still left with 800 calories for the day. Just didn't have the interest. If I was hungry, I would have went for it.