proper way to train fast twitch & slow twitch

Options
I want to know the proper way to train your fast twitch & slow twitch. Also how to know how much fast twitch & slow twitch you have? Also how to train all your muscles properly.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I want to know the proper way to train your fast twitch & slow twitch.

For what results? Do you want to gain muscle size? Run a marathon? Something else? What is your goal?

• omkarbhimraobhosekar01313
    Options
    @Cherimoose Muscle gain
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Follow a pro-designed program (Stronglifts, Starting Strength, etc).
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Genetics, some people have more of one than the other. There is no specific training or way to change what you are born with.

Just do the training you choose and don't worry about fast or slow twitch.
    Options
    Ok TY
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hit variety of rep ranges
    Options
    Ok
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Common practice to workout fast twitch muscle fibers, are dynamic effort workouts, with explosive movements, and non-maximal weight. Slow twitch muscle fibers tend to have more of a workout through low intensity endurance work.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Genetics, some people have more of one than the other. There is no specific training or way to change what you are born with.

Just do the training you choose and don't worry about fast or slow twitch.

True: Yes, genetics play a role in this to a degree.

False: You can absolutely train fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers.

Type IIA and IIB are primarily your "fast twitch muscle fibers" which are going to be used for explosive movements and recruited during moments of high-intensity; any movement that is quick and explosive. A basketball player jumping for a rebound, swinging a golf club, exploding out of starting blocks and into short sprints, squatting a load at 85% of your 1RM is going to recruit them, etc., etc.

You can train them by lifting heavy loads via heavy compound movements, olympic lifts, plyometrics, and or ballistics such as medicine ball throws, and short sprints. You can even do a combination and do something like Squat 5x5 @ 85% super-setted with standing broad jumps for 8 reps. Just an example...

Your Type 1 muscle fibers are definitely more endurance based or rely more heavily on the aerobic energy system. These will get more focused in long duration activities such as running or swimming distances or high-repetition ; NASM would typically recommend 12-20 reps for bilateral movements or 6-10 for unilateral movements. edit: a 4/2/1 tempo usually accompanies those rep ranges.

I hope that helps.
    Options
    Yes Thank You @WeaponXI & @Sam_I_Am77
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Heyyyy - I’m resurrecting this topic.

I’ve recently done a DNA test and my genetics suggest that I have mainly slow twitch muscle and a slow metabolism.

So what’s the best way for myself to train? I’m looking for fat loss really so build a bit of muscle to help that.

Am I meant to try build fast twitch or just use what I have... I’m very confused!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I think doing 3 sets will do both.

first set stimulates the quick flex
    second set exhausts the quick flex and stimulates the slow flex
    third set exhausts the slow flex

sets should be done to close to not being able to do another rep. more weight less reps for strength, less weight more reps for endurance.

I think that is the basics.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDTFIr6EGU4[youtube/]
    Pretty good set of basic videos regarding the topic; note, there are links for more in-depth reading (not very definitive findings though, still an area for research/application). Yeah, aware of the resurrection

Very complicated matter, just more reason to incorporate BOTH heavy low rep & lighter high rep lifting
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    natajane wrote: »
    Heyyyy - I’m resurrecting this topic.

I’ve recently done a DNA test and my genetics suggest that I have mainly slow twitch muscle and a slow metabolism.

So what’s the best way for myself to train? I’m looking for fat loss really so build a bit of muscle to help that.

Am I meant to try build fast twitch or just use what I have... I’m very confused!

Generally speaking women tend to have a greater percentage of type 1. Unless you have some very specific performance based training goals (e.g. team sport like Soccer, Powerlifting, etc.) I wouldn't worry about training Type 1 vs. Type 2. What is your training goal? If your only goal is fat loss, then honestly find something that you enjoy doing. If you like powerlifting training programs, then do it. If you like something more like BeachBody, then do that.

Fat loss: First identify a nutrition plan and eating habits that support healthy weight loss. Without this, however you exercise matters less.