starvation mode

Options
I was talking to a few friends about how I am not really losing any weight, even with me working out, running everyday. I am almost alway under my goals. They think I am putting my body into starvation mode. Has anyone else had this happen, how do I know this is the cause and what should I do about it? Thanks.

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    What should you do about it? Eat more. lol
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    Your body adapts to what you do. One of the big keys to changing your body is to make a change. Change your diet. Change your exercise routine. I bet you'll see results as soon as 3-4 days after the change.
  • twilla367
    twilla367 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have gone threw this as well and the problem was I was always under my calories for the day. Do you eat your exercise calories? It's very important to feed your body everyday or you can even start gaining weight. I was offered some advise which was eat all my daily calories with at least half my extra exercise calories. I know when you want to lose so badly this can be hard but try it for a couple of weeks.
  • shells_bells
    shells_bells Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And don't forget about strength training! It doesn't burn as many calories right off, but it's still very important.

I would say, if you don't feel like you're starving, you're not. How long have you been experiencing this plateau? Plateaus are normal in the weight loss process too, as frustrating as it can be.

Keep on going!
  • MisMolly
    MisMolly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What should you do about it? Eat more. lol

Actually, that is exactly what I would suggest. I started using MFP and lost 2 lbs the first week, 2 the second, 2 the third, then 1, then .5, then nothing. As my weight loss slowed, I started looking for solutions. I had a general rule to overestimate food cals and underestimate exercise. I started measuring my food and saw that I was pretty far off at some things (I can't seem to eyeball ounces at all.) I allowed myself to eat more and weight started coming off again. Then I discovered calorie zigzagging and have been doing that for almost 3 weeks. On this plan, I eat more, stress less, and am still losing.
  • lalalalyndsey
    lalalalyndsey Posts: 565
    Options
    This may be your problem, but its hard to say what it is. Do you regularly eat your exercise cals back? If so, maybe try not eating them back and if you don't, then try to eat them back.

And like said above, you may want to try changing your exercise and eating habits... sometimes your body gets used to the same routine and your metabolism slows down. You may even want to try zig zagging. If you google zig zag diet you can get a lot of info. Basically what it is is eating a different amt of cals everyday, but staying within your weekly calories. Just a thought! :)
  • erryberry
    erryberry Posts: 2
    Options
    I totally agree with the other post that talks about changing your routine. This sounds stupid but I know a lot of body builders that take at least one day off of their diet per week. They eat literally what ever they want...pancakes, donuts...you name it. Now obviously the rest of the week the live and breath a combination of cardio and weight training along with a very strict diet of mostly lean proteins and high fiber carbs.
    I also know some friends that have done this to get over a "plateau" which sounds like where you are...
    You can also get your TSH lab drawn and a Vit D lvl...just to make sure there isn't an underlying medical reason for you to not be loosing weight...You also need to get good quality sleep. Without sleep you wont be as efficient of a calorie burner and your cortisol levels will be too high for you to slim down your waistband.
  • o_brown1
    o_brown1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I understand stand what you are thru', I myself is going thru' the same thing. :sad:
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    I don't know if you're into listening to podcasts or anything, but Jillian Michaels had one about plateaus a couple of weeks ago. It was REALLY good. It's free on iTunes!!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    My Mom is in a perpetual starvation mode. She only eats a single meal a day, its not even a healthy one and is in horrible shape. She has been doing this my entire life, and doesn't see anything wrong with it because she isn't hungrier. As long as you aren't way undereating Sweetie, and eating many times a day at that while eating back your calories you shouldnt be in starvation mode. I think as suggested above, your body has adjusted to your diet and exercise routine. Change your exercise routine a lot. If you tend to bike or do yoga, or run, switch to a variety of things, or something else entirely. Go a couple times a day instead of once, or eat more meals per day. Your body needs to be shocked out of its routine, and as soon as you change it and surprise your body, your plateau will cease!