target weight

Options
Hi I would just like to ask if anyone is actually happy when they get to there target weight. Or if you then just change your target. I am 7 pounds off mine, but feel I'm not going to be happy when I get there.

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When I got to mine after having my baby, I felt very depressed because I realized that my body was never going to be the same no matter what (saggy boobs, c-sec scar). But then I just focused on toning up a little and after a while I got used to my new body! I tried getting down to a lower weight but my face got too thin and I was unhappy not being able to eat food, so I've adapted to what I think is pretty good weight for me.
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Is it the number you don't like or the way you look? If the number you have hit represents a healthy weight for your height then i would say work on exercising to improve the way you look now.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There's nothing stopping you losing more weight when you reach your original target :)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    When I got to my first target I wasn't happy so decided to just carry on losing weight until I was happy (or hit the lowest healthy weight for my height). I don't really have a target weight anymore.
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was so incredibly happy when I reached my target 2 years ago! I felt amazing and unstoppable! Slowly, I realized that I wanted to lose more but life circumstances dictated that I try to maintain for 4 months. After that, the target is always moving - gaining muscle, adding a bit of fat, losing weight, deciding to switch up gym routines, etc. - but because I am already at a normal weight, I can get to my new target weight feeling confident in myself, my body, not passing up experiences because of it. Of course getting to the new target is actually harder since I am no longer motivated to lose weight when looking at a mirror. So now I guess I am one of those girls who is trying to lose 10 lbs and failing lol - but I look damn good doing it. I'd take that any day over being overweight.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm not far off mine now, but feel the same
    .I think when I get there I'll lower it again til I'm happy ...: :wink:
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I recently got to my first target, moved it down 5 lbs, I'm almost at the new target, and I could still rid myself of 3 lbs or so. But, as everyone else is saying, when you're in that zone, you have a lot of options other than focusing strictly on weight. I want to gain muscle, for instance, so I might do a recomp or a bulk soon. It feels kind of like the world is my oyster :) You can always do a weight lifting program, for example.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan....I only long distance walk as I'm waiting for a shoulder op..but in the future it sounds like a good :wink:
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The thing is, a lot of women (i did too) think you need to keep losing more & more weight in order to looked 'toned'.
    Nope.
    If i kept losing weight, i'd just look skinny & gaunt and i'd probaby lose what muscle tone i did have!
    You need to reach a weight where you look healthy, and while maintaining...then work on toning up your body.
    There are women on here [MFP] who lift weights and look better now, weighing more - than when they were lighter!
    So (to a certain extent), the actual number on the scale doesn't really matter.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How did you decide on the initial target?
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile because I've rest my goal weight 4 times! Now I have about 8 more to lose and I'm starting to concentrate on toning what is still there
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Once I was within 2lbs, of my goal, I saw that I didn't really change as far as body composition goes. If you want to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss, eat at a moderate deficit, get enough protein (1g per pound of lean body mass), and do some sort of progressive resistance training (my favorite: heavy lifting, like StrongLifts 5x5). I wish I had started lifting from day one!
  • MrsKellyLee
    MrsKellyLee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't really know why I picked my target weight. It is my heaviest I should be for my height. I will have lost 2 1/2 stone by tge time I get to it. I think I just don't always see my weight loss I never really took before pictures, an although people keep saying I look like I have lost a lot I just don't really see it. An so just wondered are we ever really happy with our target weight. I was just lookin forward to Gettin there so I could maintain but now I feel like maybe I should lose more. I have had 2 kids so don't think I will ever be happy with my stomach.