Pain Pain Go away! (Chronic Low Back pain!)

Options
price0909
price0909 Posts: 50 Member
Does anyone else suffer from low back pain?

14+ years (and I am only 31) of chronic low back pain, left side only. Whether I am heavy or thin.. I had a compression fracture 14 years ago a L1 but my pain is more in the S3-S4 range, so they tell me it has nothing to do with that injury.

Went for a walk the other day and mixed in some 1/4 mile light jogs.. Pain started radiating from my lower back to my foot. This pain that resembles Sciatica is kind of new this past 2 weeks..

(I have had MRI, PT, Sacrolic Joint Injections, Facet Joint Injections, Trigger Point Shots and an EMG nerve test, all either no help or showing no problems)

Today the rain is affecting my whole body I am so achy and miserable. I want to go home to bed.

Replies

• Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Have you tried a Chiropractor? I also highly recommend seeing an acupuncturist. I had lower back pain not for the same reason but I swear by it. It was to the point that getting in and out of the car had me in tears and I like to think I have a decently high tolerance to pain. Have been pain free for quite a while.

I also have a flex spending account- they cover acupuncture so that helps a little with the cost and financially being able to stick to the treatment.
  • price0909
    Options
    Terrappyn1 wrote: »
    Have you tried a Chiropractor? I also highly recommend seeing an acupuncturist. I had lower back pain not for the same reason but I swear by it. It was to the point that getting in and out of the car had me in tears and I like to think I have a decently high tolerance to pain. Have been pain free for quite a while.

I also have a flex spending account- they cover acupuncture so that helps a little with the cost and financially being able to stick to the treatment.

I usually do chiropractor about 2x a year since I was a teen.. I have not tried acupunture... SInce the Trigger Joint shots I actually have had more pain the the buttuck/down the leg pain.. Im not sure why...

I am trying to add excersize to help with the weightloss which in return hoping it will help with the pain but it is so hard bc one 3.5 mile walk and I am in pain for days.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact same pain after trying to work out or get up in the AM its a sharp intense pain but I didn't have an injury. Not sure if it could be the reason but ever since I had my son with the epidural I have had pain and when they stuck me with the needle I got a shock down my whole left side
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was watching TED ta.ks on youtube.com. There is a very good one by Eric Goodman. he is a chiropractor and chronic back pain survivor. I watched the TED talk and did the exercises--helped my back. You may want to check it out. He has more videos on youtube, too. Foundation Training. I can't tell you hoe much it has helped me.
  • price0909
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Yes. I was watching TED ta.ks on youtube.com. There is a very good one by Eric Goodman. he is a chiropractor and chronic back pain survivor. I watched the TED talk and did the exercises--helped my back. You may want to check it out. He has more videos on youtube, too. Foundation Training. I can't tell you hoe much it has helped me.

THanks!! I will check it out! I have a lot to loose but would like to incorporate exercises i can do at home.
  • daperfectmix
    daperfectmix Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Has anyone been doing the Foundation Training for a while? Has it helped and how long did it take? My back is killing me! I don't even know what I did. I injured it last year by over exertion. Doc gave me some muscle relaxers and pain meds. A little over a week ago after a run, my back pain returned. It didn't happen right after the run, but maybe 3 or 4 hours later. Maybe I tweaked it while stretching? I don't know.
  • pedidiva
    Options
    Dap, I am doing Foundation Training. It has been very helpful.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,761 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My physical therapist told me that for many people it's not the back that's the problem but an overall weak core. Strengthen that first and it will help a lot. Don't get me wrong, I hate doing my prescribed PT exercises for the core, but they help a lot. Also even though you want to lose weight now/fast, there's no need to walk 3.5 miles per day if you're already in pain. Just keep moving a little bit more each day and don't go overboard. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself and set yourself back. Hang in there!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    price0909 wrote: »
    Does anyone else suffer from low back pain?

14+ years (and I am only 31) of chronic low back pain, left side only. Whether I am heavy or thin.. I had a compression fracture 14 years ago a L1 but my pain is more in the S3-S4 range, so they tell me it has nothing to do with that injury.

Went for a walk the other day and mixed in some 1/4 mile light jogs.. Pain started radiating from my lower back to my foot. This pain that resembles Sciatica is kind of new this past 2 weeks..

(I have had MRI, PT, Sacrolic Joint Injections, Facet Joint Injections, Trigger Point Shots and an EMG nerve test, all either no help or showing no problems)

Today the rain is affecting my whole body I am so achy and miserable. I want to go home to bed.

Price it might not help your pain but 30 days after I cut out all sugars and grains my back pain and joint pain level dropped from 7-8 to 2-3. I was addicted to sugar and grains so it was very hard the first two weeks then the cravings faded. It is health by subtraction and low tech with no added expense if you would like to try it for 30 days.

I was facing cancer risks if I started Enbrel injects as the doctor wanted me to do for pain management and that helped me get through the two week withdrawal period in my case.

The weather does not now do the number on my pain like before.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i might suggest water exercises. less pressure on your back.
    I would also strongly suggest doing legs up the wall for at least five min a night to take pressure off your lower back if you do not already
  • daperfectmix
    daperfectmix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Dap, I am doing Foundation Training. It has been very helpful.

How long have you been doing the training? Which exercises are you doing?
  • pedidiva
    Options
    watch the videos on you tube. The founder. About 2 weeks. You can get the book or DVD, too
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I tried dietary changes for about a year and they had no effect (no grains, limited sugars, vegetarian).

Four things help me with my back pain: foam rolling my leg muscles, stretching (especially psoas and IT bands), chiropractic adjustments, and strength training (Starting Strength).

I’d try some of these. Best of luck, I know how sucky it is.