Food Scales - yes or no?

Options
Anyone use food scales? I've been using measuring cups but haven't used scales...just bought a set and I was wondering if it was a useful tool or a waste of money? If you like them, how are they the most useful? Thanks!

Replies

• GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes! I use one every single day when I am measuring out portions of chicken, beef, pork, etc. It really helps to weigh the food and know how much a REAL portion is. I love the food scale!
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    Love them....I can measure a cup of cereal and then weigh out the same portion and they are very different.....the scale/numbers don't lie and there is no way to cheat (unless of course you just close your eyes). Since I bought my scale I really have taken control of my portions!!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your diet is, are you counting calories??? or just eyeballing, or just trying to stay away from junk??? If you're counting calories, you should get one.
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yes! i don't think i could get by without mine. it's just a cheap-o one i bought on e-bay, but i think it's pretty accurate, and extremely helpful with portion control. :smile:
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    A must have to weigh meats or anything else that you measure by weight. Totally worth the cost!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I asked for a food scale for my birthday. Hopefully I get it. If not will buy it on my own.
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    I love using my scale. There are too many different ways to measure/track cals so I try to have all of my options available. Sometimes I measure a cup of something and THEN weigh it so when I plug it in I won't have to try to convert. HA! I think we picked ours up at Target for under $25. Very worth it. So much that sometimes I through it in my bag when we got out to eat so I know how much I'm eating. LOL.....yeah just typing it sounds pretty lame, but it is what I do. :laugh:
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    i LOVE mine, its well worth investing in one for sure!!!
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Just bought a food scale today. I want to know exactly what the measurements/ounces are rather than guessing....
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to even imagine trying to do this without my scale. because my eyes are definitely way bigger than my portions are supposed to be. Good Luck
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale!! :love:
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I really love my food scale! I find that a lot of times I get more food by measuring by weight rather than eye-balling or counting out a portion. I'd highly recommend one! :wink:
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    food scale= the best 10 bucks i have ever spent on ebay.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! I weigh everything to the gram!
  • lrnlvr
    lrnlvr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    its been said over and over again, but yes just get one, you will not regret it. its so funny seeing my old portions vs what the scale says is correct. one of the things to look for is a zero out feature. My scale weighs everything from liquid (ozs) to pounds. when ever i drink a sugary drink i can place the cup on the scale zero it out and start pouring. I also do the same thing with cereal i simply put bowl the bowl on, zero it out and poor the cereal to the serving size, then zero it again and poor the milk. its an amazing device and you will never use a measuring cup again.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I love my digital scale. It keeps me honest.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Yup, bought one from from the grocery store (not digital, very basic) just so I know I'm at least cloooooose to the serving portions that I desire. Eyeballing I tended to be off... and I think it is skewed (frozen mixed veggies for instance) to measure those with measuring cups as opposed to weight. I like going by weight for food.

Get one!!! :)
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Best weight loss tool out there. Great investment.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, they're definitely worth it. You can buy a nice digital one from target for around ten bucks. I use a food scale instead of measuring cups, because it saves time, is more accurate, and lessens the amount of dirty dishes. For example, when I eat cereal, the back of the box states how many grams are in a serving right next to where it says 3/4 cup or 1 cup. (I think all food labels clarify how many grams are in a serving, so you can use a food scale for anything) I set my bowl on the food scale, zero it, and pour the cereal straight in until I reach so-and-so grams. It's just as accurate, if not more accurate, than pouring that cereal into a measuring cup. And, then I don't have to wash a measuring cup either! Whoo.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes! It really helps with measuring things like nuts, meat and cheese. I use mine almost daily.