Opinions on so called 'healthy snacks'

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think what everybody is failing to do is stick with the actual topic posted.

This argument could go on forever and ever and ever and ever and ever but the fact is, both sides are failing to look at the other and failing just as much to put any factual evidence on the board.

I mean, really, it's like reading the comments on Youtube videos.
    I think you need to read the posts more closely.

It was pointed out that the sugar -- and fat -- weren't inherently bad and that the snacks in question were fine if they fit within the OP's caloric and macro goals. Then the "life force" of sugar cane got injected into the conversation. But, yeah, if the other side of the argument is "lack of life force in the food" I'm certainly not persuaded.

OP never even asked about the difference in sugars. OP asked about what micros were and what healthy snacks are out there. Not about "natural" vs "refined" sugars.

Way to go everybody hijacking what could've been a good post.

That's all I'm contributing to this pointless string of bull.

and the other poster came flying in with some BS argument about refined sugar vs natural sugar that does not even make sense. So are we just supposed to let pseudoscience go unchallenged?
    In the "let's all hug, all arguments are equal" world, probably so. It's hurtful to ask people to support their assertions.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

This argument could go on forever and ever and ever and ever and ever but the fact is, both sides are failing to look at the other and failing just as much to put any factual evidence on the board.

It was pointed out that the sugar -- and fat -- weren't inherently bad and that the snacks in question were fine if they fit within the OP's caloric and macro goals. Then the "life force" of sugar cane got injected into the conversation. But, yeah, if the other side of the argument is "lack of life force in the food" I'm certainly not persuaded.

OP never even asked about the difference in sugars. OP asked about what micros were and what healthy snacks are out there. Not about "natural" vs "refined" sugars.

Again, reading is fundamental. I didn't claim the OP did ask that. It was the "life force" contingent that injected that irrelevancy into the conversation. Until that point, it was pointed out to OP that the snacks are perfectly fine if they fit within her goals. Her question was answered.

I think you need to read again. The life force thing came later. Shots have been fired from both sides, but one side was clearly baited in this thread. And it happened on page 1. This never should have become a sugar thread.
    The very first dang non-OP post in the thread was the "life force" person talking about refined sugar. The. very. first. post. Then, when said poster was asked for supporting data, the "life force" thing emerged.

In between, the OP was told that the snacks were fine if they fit within her goals.

Yep, I know. So what. That person gave their opinion, which I don't necessarily agree with, and others came in with their advice. And it could have stayed like that we're it not for the baiting.

Personally I don't care. I'm off for the summer and this stuff is entertaining as hell. But in this case I feel bad for OP. again, this should never have ended up as a sugar thread.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

and the other poster came flying in with some BS argument about refined sugar vs natural sugar that does not even make sense. So are we just supposed to let pseudoscience go unchallenged?

Why does everything have to be a challenge? Why not answer OP and move on? Ignoring stuff on the internet is very useful, especially when it turns into a bunch of monkeys spewing stuff that nobody cares about.
    Because other people read that kind of idiocy, believe it, and make decisions based on it.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    welcometomfp.jpg
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Why does everything have to be a challenge? Why not answer OP and move on? Ignoring stuff on the internet is very useful, especially when it turns into a bunch of monkeys spewing stuff that nobody cares about.

Because people care. Because people don't want lurkers to read something that is untrue, take it as gospel, and then change their entire diet based on someone's feelings rather than on actual facts.

But you know, what do I know, I'm just a spewing monkey.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Because then we'd have 15 posts a day asking about lemon ginger detoxes instead of only 5.

It's important for those reading the boards to have BS called out.
  • Dnarules
    Options

Because other people read that kind of idiocy, believe it, and make decisions based on it.

I'm going to leave with just one question. Do you honestly think you all helped anyone with this particular thread? Really? What you probably did was keep this OP from ever posting again, and possibly others as all. I'm all for keeping out bad info, but that isn't what was accomplished here. No one learned anything here, I promise you that.

• juggernaut1974
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Because people care. Because people don't want lurkers to read something that is untrue, take it as gospel, and then change their entire diet based on someone's feelings rather than on actual facts.

This post needs a gif

Off to google "spewing monkey"

• DeguelloTex
    Options

I'm going to leave with just one question. Do you honestly think you all helped anyone with this particular thread? Really? What you probably did was keep this OP from ever posting again, and possibly others as all. I'm all for keeping out bad info, but that isn't what was accomplished here. No one learned anything here, I promise you that.
    Yes. Good answers were given.

"as long as you are staying in your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day they are fine.

I think they're fine as long as you're able to maintain your calorie goal and they don't leave you feeling hungry

It's all relative to how much of it you're eating, what the rest of your diet is like and what your calories/macro goals are.

There is no reason why these items, or any other food item, cannot be part of a healthy diet. "

You really think those weren't helpful answers?

• juggernaut1974
    Options

Patently false.

I learned that one person in this world believes that harvesting sugar cane deprives it of its life force and is thus less-healthy.

I did not know that before this thread.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Patently false.

I learned that one person in this world believes that harvesting sugar cane deprives it of its life force and is thus less-healthy.

me neither!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Again, reading is fundamental. I didn't claim the OP did ask that. It was the "life force" contingent that injected that irrelevancy into the conversation. Until that point, it was pointed out to OP that the snacks are perfectly fine if they fit within her goals. Her question was answered.

I think you need to read again. The life force thing came later. Shots have been fired from both sides, but one side was clearly baited in this thread. And it happened on page 1. This never should have become a sugar thread.
    The very first dang non-OP post in the thread was the "life force" person talking about refined sugar. The. very. first. post. Then, when said poster was asked for supporting data, the "life force" thing emerged.

In between, the OP was told that the snacks were fine if they fit within her goals.

But in this case I feel bad for OP. again, this should never have ended up as a sugar thread.

I don't think I agree with that. From the wording the OP used it seems to me they do care about the sugar content of their snacks, so the argument was quite relevant. And I also think bad science shouldn't go unchallenged, let alone personal opinions passed on as holy truth and not what they are - opinions. We have yet to see a single source showing how refined sugar is bad *if* you get all your macro and micro nutrients already.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Do you know what being thick means?

FAT SHAMING!!!

/jk

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Patently false.

lKR - of all the sugar threads I've seen, I've never seen one about its life force before.

• Dnarules
    Options

Yes. Good answers were given.

"as long as you are staying in your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day they are fine.

I think they're fine as long as you're able to maintain your calorie goal and they don't leave you feeling hungry

It's all relative to how much of it you're eating, what the rest of your diet is like and what your calories/macro goals are.

There is no reason why these items, or any other food item, cannot be part of a healthy diet. "

You really think those weren't helpful answers?

Yes, they were. And everyone of them could have been made, and in fact were being made, before the train wreck.

But like I said, it's better than TV.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    How about trying the 21dsd & see if you can live without any of the extra "sugars"? ;)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

But in this case I feel bad for OP. again, this should never have ended up as a sugar thread.

I don't think I agree with that. From the wording the OP used it seems to me they do care about the sugar content of their snacks, so the argument was quite relevant. And I also think bad science shouldn't go unchallenged, let alone personal opinions passed on as holy truth and not what they are - opinions. We have yet to see a single source showing how refined sugar is bad *if* you get all your macro and micro nutrients already.

even if you do miss your macros and/or micros for the day...like...shiiiiiit I missed my micros today *dies*
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I did answer OP....

if you don't care about it then why do you keep coming into this thread and contributing nothing to the actual discussion?

• bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

It's stuff like this that makes me want to pound a "like" button.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Patently false.

lKR - of all the sugar threads I've seen, I've never seen one about its life force before.

Maybe that poster watched Fed up and believe it 100%
This discussion has been closed.