Running a hilly race

Options
I am signed up for a race in 3 weeks that has a large hill-about 400 ft elevation change over 1/2 mile (9% grade over 1/2 mile). The rest of the coarse is fairly flat. I just found out about the hill; hadn't really been training for hills other than running down the hill by my house and back up at the end of my runs (steeper hill at about 15% grade, but much, much shorter distance running uphill at about 100 meters).

So a few questions for anyone who might have some advice:

1. At this point, will adding any hill training be of any benefit?
2. If there is a benefit, will it outweigh any added potential injury risk?
3. If I should try to add training for the hill, I can either do 5 one mile hill loops in my neighborhood for my shorter 5 mile runs or do a 4.5 mile run and finish the last 1/2 mile on the treadmill at 9% grade. Which would be better and should it be one one or both of my weekly short runs?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The park I run in has a similar hill (Ft. Benjamin Harrison.) I would be very careful with any hill training at this point. Maybe some very slight grades on the treadmill but I would not go for very long. I tried this very thing last week and wound up with a very sore Achilles on my left leg. Then, my right ankle started hurting because I was limping around so much. Result: One week off. :'(

1. I'm no expert but smaller grades on the treadmill may help. Just be careful.
    2. I don't think the benefit is worth the injury risk.
    3. Try the one mile hill loops but pay close attention to any tightness or weirdness in your legs. Go back to flat land if you even suspect something is amiss.
    4. Don't underestimate the hazards of downhill!!
    5. I notice some folks change there gait and take very small steps when running up the hill. It's like changing gears on a bike. You have more cycles but use less energy with each step. I look silly doing it but it keeps my heart rate under 200.

Again, I am no physiologist or kinesthisologist so take with a grain of salt. I am sure someone will be by shortly to tell you my advice is bunk. :smiley:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    1. No, but even if so see below...
    2. No
    3. N/A

Slow down, really slow down for that hill. Maybe even alternate running and walking up the hill.
  • tessah316
    tessah316 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes, train hills! I've read a ton of articles about hills, because I've had issues with them (my toes were going numb running up hills). The interval program to train for hills seemed to be repeated over and over again when I was researching this - it's supposed to be really great at increasing the endurance needed to make it up that giant hill in your race, without totally burning out your muscles - so that you can recovery quicker. With the race 3 weeks away you want to be sure your legs are fresh. With that shorter steeper 100 meter hill, the training plans I've read say to run up the hill, then slowly jog back down and then repeat it 10 times. Add this in twice a week (to your shorter runs).

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-and-why-to-run-hill-sprint-intervals
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/short-steep-swift-strength