Good Calories VS. Bad Calories and the winner iiiiiiiissss..

Options
Ok. I lost 23 pounds and now everyone says I'm looking too thin. I'd like to tone up. I guess this means I should eat a little more and excersise more as well. But what excatly should I eat? More protein? I only eat 1200 calories a day right now. How high up should I go? And finally whats the difference between a good and a bad calorie? HELP! :ohwell:

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You don't look too thin.

If you are looking to tone up and not lose anymore weight you should switch to maintenance mode and start eating more protein to help build muscle :)
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    Fresh and healthy vs processed & Chemically...
    Fresh and healthy vs fat and sugarry

I'm not sure, but probably something along those lines is a simplified answer.

And girl - you look great. Can I just say that? Maybe go back to your diary and log a maintenance goal instead of weightloss goal. See what it says for you to eat in calories.

Good luck.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    More protein is always a good thing. My nutritionist adv'd going up in calories about 50-100 a week til you stop losing when you want to switch from losing to maintaining.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You can set your MFP daily goals to 'maintain' instead of lose and it will adjust your settings. To maintain you do want to eat more than you are (but good, healthy whole foods, not junk). The setting you have right now is to loose the pound/week.

Adjust your settings, try that for a few weeks and see what happens.

Also, I suggest trying a fun fitness class near you (that will help with overall toning your body). "Body weight training, it's where it's at!" is what Jillian Michaels tells us in her Power Yoga DVD.

I would suggest Power Yoga (a class or a workout DVD) combined with another class such as cardio kickboxing or Zumba. Anyone that tells you that you are too thin is most likely just jealous. Ad some tone and muscles and you'll be looking great! Just make sure to adjust your MFP goals ASAP so that you do not loose, and make sure to log all food and workouts to stay on track with maintaining and toning up!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What does your workout look like?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bad calories would be those that provide little or no nutritional value and may do your body harm (i.e. sweets, simple carbs (white bread/pasta, overly processed foods, sodium rich foods). Good calories would be h foods that are low in simple sugars and high in vitamins, fiber and/or protein.
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do basics like push ups and squats and crunches. I also do dancing (micheal jackson WII ..... lol (cardio) for about 30 minutes to an hour and a half like 3 times a week.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    First of all, what is your goal? "To tone up"? That doesn't mean anything. You want to gain muscle, right?

That's not a great training plan unless you want to get fat again. I recommend a whole-body resistance training workout, focused on compound movements - 3x a week. Some mild cardio is okay, preferably on the off-days.

Combine that with being in a caloric surplus (10-20%), plus adequate protein (1g/lb), should do wonders.
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    You can set your MFP daily goals to 'maintain' instead of lose and it will adjust your settings. To maintain you do want to eat more than you are (but good, healthy whole foods, not junk). The setting you have right now is to loose the pound/week.

Adjust your settings, try that for a few weeks and see what happens.

Also, I suggest trying a fun fitness class near you (that will help with overall toning your body). "Body weight training, it's where it's at!" is what Jillian Michaels tells us in her Power Yoga DVD.

I would suggest Power Yoga (a class or a workout DVD) combined with another class such as cardio kickboxing or Zumba. Anyone that tells you that you are too thin is most likely just jealous. Ad some tone and muscles and you'll be looking great! Just make sure to adjust your MFP goals ASAP so that you do not loose, and make sure to log all food and workouts to stay on track with maintaining and toning up!

Bump!!