Fitbit burn calories

Options
Hello everyone! Currently curious is everyone eats back their extra calories from a fitbit. I've had the flex a few days now, and I feel like the extra calories I'm supposed to eat to stay in the fitbit window is way too much food.

Weight is 230lbs, height is 5ft 11in
I set to sedentary and let the fitbit add
supposed to eat 1800 calories base.
the fitbit is giving me around 750 extra calories. Does this seem right to the community?

Replies

• andrew_scardina
    andrew_scardina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oops, also averaging 12kish steps a day.
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Seems about right! I have no problem eating back all of the calories that my fitbit zip gives me.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me, I eat my fitbit calories back.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have the One and it seems pretty accurate in terms of calories burned.

One thing to note: if you're taking 12000 steps a day you are NOT sedentary. If you were to change your MFP profile to active then you'd start out with more calories, and see less added from the Fitbit. Same end of day result though. Sedentary would be under 5-7k steps per day.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I always eat all my calories back from my Fitbit. I would give a few examples of how many calories it gives me for numbers of steps, but it varies massively. I've got one day with 12,000 where it gives me steps it gives me 600 calories, and another day with 20,000 steps where it gives me 560.

I also set mine to sedentary so that on the days where I really am sedentary I'm not overeating.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I always eat all my calories back from my Fitbit. I would give a few examples of how many calories it gives me for numbers of steps, but it varies massively. I've got one day with 12,000 where it gives me steps it gives me 600 calories, and another day with 20,000 steps where it gives me 560.

I also set mine to sedentary so that on the days where I really am sedentary I'm not overeating.

I do the same-it's at sedentary so the days I move a lot more, I get a higher calorie allotment. The days I'm sluggish/don't exercise much, I eat the lower amount. Works for me.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I just got the Flex last week and I am still not sure. Maybe you guys can help me. I have the negative calories adjusted enabled.

I am 5'4" 206 lbs starting weight was 243
    I have MFP set to lose 1lb a week which gives me 1460 calories per day
    On average I walk 120000 steps a day. My fitbit is telling me on average my TDEE is 2509 calories a day. How many calories should I be eating?
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I eat back my Fitbit calories most of the time and don't have a problem losing weight.
  • andrew_scardina
    andrew_scardina Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks guy n gals! I love the quick responses and kindness of the community here :) I set to sedentary because sometimes I have lazy days and want to keep up with my deficit. I've been using myfitnesspal for a while, but just got the bit lol
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Currently curious is everyone eats back their extra calories from a fitbit. I've had the flex a few days now, and I feel like the extra calories I'm supposed to eat to stay in the fitbit window is way too much food.

Weight is 230lbs, height is 5ft 11in
    I set to sedentary and let the fitbit add
    supposed to eat 1800 calories base.
    the fitbit is giving me around 750 extra calories. Does this seem right to the community?

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—the number of calories needed just to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that (250 calories for every 25 lbs. you're overweight), you will lose. I lost the weight & have maintained for almost a year by trusting my Fitbit.

Your MFP calorie goal (1,800) is activity level minus deficit. Your Fitbit adjustment (750) is the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level. You can click on the adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users