Sweet Cravings

Options
I have an unbelievable sweet tooth and even when I am full from 'healthy' food I long for chocolate or cake or crisps or anything such as that.
How do others combat their sweet cravings???
Tips greatly received!

Replies

• ellamaries
    ellamaries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Feeling the same way. I crave chocolate and salt all the time... Not sure how to balance it out.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Make real fruit smoothies or eat fruit. Eat small amount of chocolate. Don't eat processed foods or drink soda - that just makes it worse and provides no high nutritional benefit.
  • Snugglebutt2014
    Snugglebutt2014 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I never drink soda and I try to avoid processed food as much as possible (literally 5% of my diet is processed).
    I eat very healthy, raw food (salads, fruit, veg etc) as much as possible.
    But then I get these huge sugar cravings!!!
    Maybe more fruit is needed then???
    Or I wonder if I am lacking in something and my brain convinces me it is sugar I need when it could be carbs, or a nutrient???
    I would as slim as anything if it wasn't for the high sugar junk food :neutral:
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have an unbelievable sweet tooth and even when I am full from 'healthy' food I long for chocolate or cake or crisps or anything such as that.
    How do others combat their sweet cravings???
    Tips greatly received!

Simple - eat the food you're craving, just stay under budget
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Omg my sweet tooth is the worst! I definitely have it under control now. The more sweet things you eat, the more you crave them. Try your very best to avoid anything sweet for a week and you'll notice that you don't have cravings for them anymore.

If you must eat something sweet try sweet bell peppers, they're very tasty and I'm pretty sure they have less sugar than most fruits!
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Omg my sweet tooth is the worst! I definitely have it under control now. The more sweet things you eat, the more you crave them. Try your very best to avoid anything sweet for a week and you'll notice that you don't have cravings for them anymore.
    I wish this was true for me! I've tried avoiding them for a month, and the cravings only got worse.

I don't bother withholding sweets from myself to the point of being a tyrant about it. Try to eat as little as possible of them of course, but I don't feel that depriving yourself of something you love is going to make losing weight easier.

• Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I try to find "treats" that are lower in calories. My current go-to is a Werthers hard carmel. 25 calories each so I don't feel horrible if I have one or two.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try cocoa crack. It's a tablespoon of coconut oil one of pure cocoa powder and a little stevia ( either powdered or liquid to taste ). Mix while the oil is melted and freeze in a muffin tin or formed tinfoil etc... Eat frozen it's like a dark chocolate bar without all the sugar.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I just work sweets into my calorie allowance...
  • allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Same here. I was just looking up dessert recipes with banana, apple, peanut butter and cinnamon.

Maybe something like a banana with cinnamon on it, and melt peanut butter and a little bit of chocolate together to dip it in, freeze it to harden the peanut butter and chocolate and have a banana pop. Idk

Freeze banana, then let it thaw out a little bit, blend it with almond milk and something else I can't remember to make pudding and dip some reduced-fat Nilla Wafers in it?
  • amyaronson
    amyaronson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kombucha! Especially a fruity flavor.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating when you have a craving, do something to distract yourself. Something that really engages your conscious mind, and something you find pleasurable. Start researching where to go on vacation. Make a photo book for someone in your family for their birthday. Go to a museum. Have nookie. Etc. When you are craving your brain is looking for pleasurable sensations, so do something else pleasurable besides eating. This will work at least some of the time.
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving a candy bar (usually chocolate!), Questbars are my substitute. My favorites are Choc chip cookie dough & white choc raspberry!
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Instead of eating when you have a craving, do something to distract yourself.
    I read that playing games like Candy Crush (I can't remember how they classified it in the article) can distract you from cravings. Seems like staring at candy would have the opposite affect but it seems to work when I remember to do it.
  • pbowman1957
    pbowman1957 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard that when craving sweets, eat some dill pickles. It is supposed to squash that craving, worth a try, it definitely helps with the salt cravings...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find eating a very different sort of food like that helps. A bit of cheese can work too.

My issue with cravings is more likely to be emotional or boredom, so I find channeling thoughts about food into something more productive can work--like "oh, I'm really craving this taste, how can I create it in my dinner." (I'm more of a savory person overall, though.) Or simply using the desire to think about food to signal a good time to plan out a week's menu or a grocery list.

Also, just distracting myself is quite often the best solution--go work out or go for a walk or something.