Cheap high protein/fat foods

Options
I've been trying to gain weight for a while now but I recently almost doubled my daily calorie intake. I'm watching my grocery bill every week almost double as well, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for the cheapest way to get more calories? What are some inexpensive foods that are high in protein and/or fat?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling but carbs are about the only 'cheap' food source but carbs work against my health at my age.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Beans and lentils are cheap, nutritious (lots of protein and fibre), and calorific. Eggs are great for both fat and protein. Whole milk and yogurts also come to mind.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to gain weight for a while now but I recently almost doubled my daily calorie intake. I'm watching my grocery bill every week almost double as well, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for the cheapest way to get more calories? What are some inexpensive foods that are high in protein and/or fat?

Cheapest ways to get more calories in with carbs would be pizza & doughnuts though I personally rather have ice cream and/or peanut butter for cals though its typically not cheap and/or have a ton of carbs.

As for inexpensive food that are high in protein and/ or fat.
    Some doughnuts are high in fat.
    Tilapia is fairly inexpensive but has a lot of protein, but not much fat.
    Lentils as well as tuna is pretty source of protein.
    Some places sell chicken breast for $2 a lb which is pretty good for the amount of protein.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Look for meat with fat: dark meat chicken and ground beef for example. Also peanuts.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah peanuts will really put some weight on you! :)
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, chicken, eggs, milk, protein powder, cottage cheese
  • breezybree511
    breezybree511 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Beans and lentils are cheap, nutritious (lots of protein and fibre), and calorific. Eggs are great for both fat and protein. Whole milk and yogurts also come to mind.

Sadly my body doesn't tolerate beans in any quantity, but I love eggs! And also I have an ulcer on and off that I'm taking medication for, and was advised not to drink whole milk. So it's been a struggle.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eggs, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Nuts, Cheese, Full Fat Dairy
  • elliottweedy
    elliottweedy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a good source of protein and with half a cup of rice it shouldn't cost and arm and a leg to make a healthy lunch. Throw in beans, lentils etc... Also tahini (sesame peanut butter practically) is really good for fats and protein.
  • elliottweedy
    Options
    In addition to my reply above, try setting your app up so that you are having one gram of lean body mass. Or add 1 gram of protein for every pound of your target weight, ie, mine is to be 190lbs right now so I have my nutrition details set up to about 200+grams of protein since I have an above average job activity and also lift about 20-24 heavy sets of weights... But to start say your goal weight is (random choice) 165lbs, set your parameters to include 165 grams of protein. This will ensure you body has enough protein to create new muscle and retain current muscle...
  • conway911
    conway911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mozzarella cheese sticks, peanut butter, an Greek yogurt are the best
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    high protein+fat:

shitloads of eggs

and either whole chickens or the 3-5lb packs of bone-in thighs
  • elliottweedy
    Options
    When I lived in the uk this ex army body builder told me that he bought tins of mackerel bits, he sad it wasn't particularly tasty or pleasant to look at but was super cheap and crammed with protein... I forget what they were exactly. But they weren't the choicest pieces of fish...
  • BroscienceTheory
    BroscienceTheory Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Turkey patties, lean. 34g per patty for what I get.
  • LiftingForMisato
    LiftingForMisato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Canned chicken. 250 Cal and 70g of Protein per can. Makes a pretty good lunch snack.

Eggs are great too.

• dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    milk cheap for lots of protein in the UK atleast
  • hazhardcore
    hazhardcore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chocolate peanuts, about 70p for nearly 1000 calories!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, the answer is always peanut butter.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    unfortunately pb is actually pretty low in protein per serving (compared to the calories)

but uh I eat it every day anyway

yolo
  • sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Protein powder can be found at a cheap rate per kilo.
    Eggs, meat offal (if you don't mind it), peanut butter and full fat milk (fresh is usually cheaper than long life).
    Cheap meats are great too if you can find a decent supplier. Turkey and beef mince are a couple of good value for money examples.