low-fat carbs??

Options
OK so I'm new on here and basically I am not eating enough carbohydrates and to much fat. I need to know what are a good way to eat carbs without all the fat.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    please explain what you mean by not enough carbs and too much fat?

• roselones
    roselones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mfp says I should eat 50% carbs and 30% fats and I've eaten 36% carbs and 43% fats
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, steamed rice, low fat milk and yogurt, fruits, bread that does not have a tablespoon of butter smeared on it, beans, peas, pasta with marinara sauce, all kinds of vegetables that are not deep fried... and so on.

It's very easy to get carbs without having too much fat attached to them if you modify the way you cook things.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    roselones wrote: »
    Mfp says I should eat 50% carbs and 30% fats and I've eaten 36% carbs and 43% fats

You win.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I meet my carb goal but not the fats. I eat wholegrain rice and pasta and wholewheat bread. Right now I'm eating gluten free oat cakes
    Good carbs
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Carb sources = bagels, oatmeal, potatoes, french fries (fat free Alexia brand are amazing)

Eat some cereal bars, check the fat content on back. If you prefer more fat over carbs, it's fine. If you're trying to lose weight, all that matter is the caloric deficit unless you plan on bikini competing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Maybe change those macros? Many folks here put their carbs at 30%. Some do 20% and eat more fat.
    For me, eating more fat and fewer carbs makes me happier. I feel more satisfied, don't have swings in blood sugar. Don't feel "hangry" etc.
    I wouldn't go looking for low fat carbs, per se, but vegetables and fruits are naturally low fat (with some exceptions like avocado). Whole grains (bread, rice etc.) are naturally low fat as well. Don't look for "low fat" labels on carbs. Many of those heavily processed foods have a lot of added sugar.

If you're eating a balanced diet, getting enough protein and fat, and meeting your micro nutrient needs (vitamin C etc.) I personally wouldn't worry about it. Every one these days probably gets enough carbs without trying.

If I were looking to lose weight I certainly wouldn't go looking for bagels. If you're eating a bagel now and losing weight, that's one thing. But I wouldn't ADD bagels thinking it will help me lose weight.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I can't do 50% carbs. My cholestertol gets bad, triglycerides increase. So does my A1C. The latter has never for to T2 levels but it did get border line.
    My body loves fat. Not so lean pork or steak coconut oil, olive oil, fatty fish. Yum. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Everyone is different. I can't do 50% carbs. My cholestertol gets bad, triglycerides increase. So does my A1C. The latter has never for to T2 levels but it did get border line.
    My body loves fat. Not so lean pork or steak coconut oil, olive oil, fatty fish. Yum. :)

I bet that's not too uncommon (for cholesterol and tris to get worse, as well as A1C) with higher carbs, specifically heavily refined carbs, though you're right, everyone's threshold for that may differ.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bread, rice, popcorn, veggies.
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cereals!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fruit, potatoes, low fat yoghurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    roselones wrote: »

It's really a matter of personal preference -- if find you are naturally doing 40-45% fat and 30-40% carbs, just do that for a while and see how you feel and if you are meeting your calorie goal easily. There's no magic to the MFP default--it's just one of a number of balanced ways to structure your diet.

I started at 35% fat and protein, 30% carbs, and now do 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein. I tried 50% carbs and didn't like it while on a deficit (I might do it at maintenance). But in reality I aim for a protein minimum and let my fats and carbs vary somewhat--they just normally are around the 40-30-30 range. Really, so long as you get enough protein it doesn't make much difference and people tend to vary on what works for them.