Calories, fats or carbs?

Options
So in order to reach my daily caloric goal and to stay within my daily caloric intake I decided to eat a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread. Great I ate like 400 calories by doing so, but now my fats are way over the limit and my carbs are right there on the limit. I still have like a little over one hundred calories left, so now the question is what to eat if I'm not even hungry and still not losing weight

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Maye try fiber filled fruits instead of a PB Sandwhich? Apples, watermelon (finally in season!) Honeydew or cantaloup. Check out my DIary, 4 cups of watermelon isnt even 200 cals!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If I am within 100 calories and am not hungry, then i will not eat. The calories per day are a guideline, you don't have to hit it exact every time.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    lower the carbs, and when you do eat carbs eat complex carbs, keep the healthy fats in moderation, and up the lean protein ( chicken, fish, lean ground turkey, eggs) stick to those guidelines and you will lose!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I'm a little confused. First, it's showing that you're over on cals, not under? Did you eat something else?

Second, I'm wondering why you chose the macro (protein/fat/carbs) ratios you have. That is entirely too much protein, not nearly enough fat and a bit low on carbs. That much protein is very hard on the kidneys, and really serves no purpose, especially for the average person. I would suggest a more moderate approach to macros. So, if you adjust your macro ratios to a reasonable level, you won't have an issue with being over on fat or carbs.

Might check out this post to find a better balance.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So .. what's the best percentage for an adult to have ( carb/protein/fat )

I did some changes yesterday but I still confuced !
  • xoxo2200
    xoxo2200 Posts: 57
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I'm a little confused. First, it's showing that you're over on cals, not under? Did you eat something else?

Second, I'm wondering why you chose the macro (protein/fat/carbs) ratios you have. That is entirely too much protein, not nearly enough fat and a bit low on carbs. That much protein is very hard on the kidneys, and really serves no purpose, especially for the average person. I would suggest a more moderate approach to macros. So, if you adjust your macro ratios to a reasonable level, you won't have an issue with being over on fat or carbs.

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

Whats wrong with the protein level? Current standards if you are trying to build muscle are .7-1.0 grams of protein per lb you weigh. SO if OP is 195 lbs and trying to build muscle then 195 grams of protein is on the higher end but still accurate
  • xoxo2200
    Options
    It says I have like 200 calories left. I drank 5 liters of water today so hunger didn't visit me today, but I still had to eat. I will look into changing my percentages so I can say I tried everything.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    So .. what's the best percentage for an adult to have ( carb/protein/fat )

I did some changes yesterday but I still confuced !

A good range is listed in the thread I linked above. Typically 15-35% protein, 40-60% carbs, 15-30% fats. Many people go with 30/40/30. I like 25/50/25. Within those ranges, it's pretty much individual preference and what your goals are.
  • xoxo2200
    Options
    Check out my diary and tell me what do you think?
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Whats wrong with the protein level? Current standards if you are trying to build muscle are .7-1.0 grams of protein per lb you weigh. SO if OP is 195 lbs and trying to build muscle then 195 grams of protein is on the higher end but still accurate

It is EXTREMELY difficult to build muscle in a caloric deficit (especially a large deficit, like 1000 cals per day). For the majority of people here, not gonna happen, certainly not in any amount that is significant. Good protein levels are important in maintaining muscle, but 1 g/lb is way overboard for most people.

Guess it depends on whose standards you're talking about. Bodybuilder websites will promote that level, for bodybuilders. The average person, even one who is working out regularly, does not need the same level. It just makes the kidneys work harder if it is not being used by the body immediately.

Some good info on protein:

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/a-primer-on-protein/
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Check out my diary and tell me what do you think?

When I look at your diary right now, it says you're 222 cals over.

But at any rate, if it were me, I would lower it to maybe .7 g/lb at most, so about 135 g per day maximum. Increase fat slightly, to maybe 18%, and leave the rest for carbs. Just my opinion.