Any ideas on eating healthy and cheap?

Options
ananda403
ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
Does anyone have any suggestions on eating healthier on a budget? I'm only working part time right now and since ramen noodles and mac and cheese are cheap and I like them it seems like a win-win. Well, until I hit the scales anyway!

Replies

• katiejneely
    katiejneely Posts: 52
    Options
    Eggs!!! You can make them so many different ways too!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    shop the fruits & veggies that are on sale, try substituting rice into recipes instead of pasta (brown rice preferrably), shop meats that are on sale. If you have a crock pot (or parents/friends do that you can borrow) use it! Most corck pot recipes take the cheaper cuts of meat.

I dont know if they have these wher eyou are but Sprouts and Fresh & Easy have amazing produce prices, otherwise try farmers markets, ect, for cheaper produce
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    definitely what she said, eggs!! frozen chicken isn't too bad, but oats are pretty cheap..brown rice isn't too bad, you can also find some cheap protein powders online- just watch the sugar/carbs in them. good luck!
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are quite cheap. Add tilapia, pork chop, or steaks that you can grill or do as stir fry,

if you go with chicken, ensure there is nothing added to it
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    its pretty hard to eat healthy on a small budget. i have learned a few tricks tho. we have a food lion here. and they have an MVP card that gives you discounts in the store. a lot of that is on fresh meats and produce. if you have a krogers or harris teeter or lowes foods, they all do it too. i also eat quite a bit of eggs. they're pretty cheap to have everyday. i also buy the tyson brand grilled and ready fillets and diced chicken breasts. each bag is maybe $5-$6. but there's 7 servings. so its less than $1/day if you only eat one serving. boil in a bag brown rice is another one. if you're eating solo, just save half for the nxt day. it can be pretty tricky to save money and eat better, but i'm sure you'll figure it out.....oh and buy generic when you can. its the same thing, just cheaper. =D
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    1CALIJIBARO2 Posts: 132
    Options
    u like veggies? you can make your own stir fry. buy big bags of (mixed) frozen veggies ($1.99-$3.99) cut up onions, garlic & season to taste.& WAH-LAH........goes well w/ chunks of chicken too....Mmm-good.......... u can find veggies in a can for a cheaper price & mix-match w/ that..........fish fillets r also good...Talapia is inexpensive also.........GOOD LUCK
  • ananda403
    ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • Caramel787
    Caramel787 Posts: 8
    Options
    I would say use alot of coupons you would be surprised how much you save. Buy meals or items that will last awhile like tuna salad with low fat mayo. If you make enough it could last you two to three days.
  • hurilux41
    hurilux41 Posts: 1
    Options
    And to lose weight? Well just follow my direction suggestively:

Morning: One small bowl of hot milk and oatmeal

Snack: few variety of fruits. 3 servings at the most

Lunch: two cans of tunas (remove the water/oil) with 2 cups of frozen vegetables (boil it before comsuming) or let alone with frozen vegetables at 3 cups. **OPTIONAL: tear up 1 slice of grill cheese and tear up 1-2 slices of ham (make sure it is low fat and low in carbs!) and add it to the bowl combinely with the foods from above.

Dinner: Same thing for lunch but perhaps more variety in vegetables. (may appear boring but it cheaper in the long run)

Oh yeah and drink plenty of water as it will help you feel "full" as if you feel empty on your stomache between lunch and dinner

Exercise i.e. 5-7mph jog for 30 minutes, walk for 2-4 miles per day

AVOID eating junk food/drink (INCLUDING COFFEE). And it is okay to "cheat". Therefore just keep it seldom!

Source: I have lost over 25 pounds since weight originally at 271 from March. My goal is 210 and I am half way there
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student, so I'm definitely on a budget too. For me, at least, fruits and vegetables aren't that expensive. For example, I love kiwi. At my Wal-Mart, they're 33 cents a piece. Bananas are like 40 cents a pound, and when I buy a bunch it ends up being like $1.50. I don't buy iceberg lettuce, but they have dollar bags of iceberg if you like that, and romaine is only two dollars. I buy plain store-brand yogurt in the tubs and jazz it up with store-brand cereal and nuts. A bag of baby carrots isn't all that expensive and lasts a long time. Same with a single bell pepper, a cucumber, etc.
    Some of the store brand stuff may not be as healthy as other brands, but if you're on a budget it's a sacrifice you gotta make!!
    Also, I look for coupons online...that really helps! There's one on the Powerade Facebook site for buy one get one free Powerade Zero and I've used that a few times at different stores!
    The frozen bags of stirfry are great if you add in your own fresh vegetables too.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Look into recipes with beans (garbanzo, kidney, black, etc...) - much less expensive than meat, great sources of protein and fiber, healthier and better for the environment :-) Think beans and rice for starters, but you can find lots more ideas for recipes online.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for around 4.5 years and I've found it to be MUCH easier to eat cheaply as a vegetarian than as someone who eats meat! Meat is one of the most expensive things in a grocery store. So if you eat less meat, it'll be cheaper!

- buy in bulk, especially for things that'll last a long time like brown rice, frozen veggies, large yogurt tubs instead of the individually packed ones, etc.
    - cook in bulk and freeze leftovers for other meals
    - buy your bread and freeze it if you live on your own so you can use every slice before it goes bad, therefore getting the most for your money
    - cut out juice and soda if you buy them (expensive things that really add up and you could use your money soo much better on other things!)
    - avoid buying individually wrapped meals like frozen dinners
    - buy in-season produce which will typically be cheaper than out of season
    - go to farmers markets, which usually have great prices especially if you buy in bulk
    - organic milk typically lasts longer than regular store brand, so get organic!
    - granola is VERY expensive but it's much cheaper to buy your own ingredients and make your own granola with oats, nuts, etc. Check out the bulk grains section of a health food store.
    - find a store that will give you a discount for bringing in your own bags and bring them! Some stores around me do that and I can save 10-20cents each time I shop, which doesn't seem like a lot but every little bit helps when you're on a budget.
    - never buy bottled water... always bring your own bottle and get a Brita filter if needed.

Will probably think of more to add!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Eggs and oatmeal.
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Thought of some more. :laugh:

- much cheaper to buy the $10 tub of protein powder than the $2-$5 individual protein bars or beverages, so buy protein powder and use it to make your own protein snacks/drinks (you can even bake with some brands!).
    - if you drink coffee, always make your own... coffee shops are too expensive.
    - if you eat fish, try canned salmon which is healthy yet much cheaper than fresh.
    - fresh fruit is typically cheaper than frozen, so if you want frozen fruit for smoothies or something, buy fresh and freeze yourself.
    - don't be afraid of health food stores. Sometimes healthy is actually cheaper! Also health food stores often have things regular stores don't (like grains in bulk). Whole Foods often has some items for sale at great prices, especially their own 365 brand. Sometimes their cereal is on sale for $2/bag. Which brings me to another thing... buy cereal in bags if you can because you get more for your money.
    - almond milk is typically cheaper (and has less calories) than regular milk
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Oh and one more... This is kinda weird but you can actually buy coupons on eBay in bulk for items you buy regularly! Like you can buy 20 coupons for $2 or so! Example:

Almond milk: http://cgi.ebay.com/20-1-00-Any-One-BLUE-DIAMOND-ALMOND-Milk-Coupons-x7-31-/330565607090?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item4cf73edeb2#ht_499wt_1159

Really helps for items you buy all the time!
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    A roasted chicken around $5 can last 3-4 meals depending how much you eat. I'm not sure if that is cheap enough though.